Breakfast

Options

Replies

• Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options
    The perfect breakfast for me is no breakfast. I always go over my cal limit when i eat breakfast.

It's been said by doctors and nutritionists for years that skipping breakfast is NOT good for you. You need to eat 4-6 small meals a day. I eat 5 a day and manage to hit or stay below 1200 cals a day. I have days where I have to eat something else because you need at the least 1200 cals a day to lose weight in a healthy way and to keep your energy up.

nope
  • firstsip
    firstsip Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    The perfect breakfast for me is no breakfast. I always go over my cal limit when i eat breakfast.

It's been said by doctors and nutritionists for years that skipping breakfast is NOT good for you. You need to eat 4-6 small meals a day. I eat 5 a day and manage to hit or stay below 1200 cals a day. I have days where I have to eat something else because you need at the least 1200 cals a day to lose weight in a healthy way and to keep your energy up.

I'm not trying to be mean here at all, but you just joined and appear to be very early in your journey. I recommend veering away from the info you've always "heard" (generally from Dr. Oz or a Woman's Day, amirite?) and start floating around the forums more and doing lots of research.

It's super common for people to come here and start spouting the things you were raised with: breakfast like a king, meals every two or three hours, you can't eat past 6 pm.

Much of this is wrong. Don't rely on health idioms; you're here, make it real. Look at the people who have been here a long time, who have sustainable success, etc.

This isn't just to you, either, but to others in this thread, and to the cumulative whole of the "New Year Resolution" people here.
  • nwon87
    nwon87 Posts: 29
    Options

I'm not trying to be mean here at all, but you just joined and appear to be very early in your journey. I recommend veering away from the info you've always "heard" (generally from Dr. Oz or a Woman's Day, amirite?) and start floating around the forums more and doing lots of research.

It's super common for people to come here and start spouting the things you were raised with: breakfast like a king, meals every two or three hours, you can't eat past 6 pm.

Much of this is wrong. Don't rely on health idioms; you're here, make it real. Look at the people who have been here a long time, who have sustainable success, etc.

This isn't just to you, either, but to others in this thread, and to the cumulative whole of the "New Year Resolution" people here.

I Had a previous account for a year and a half, and had lost 70lbs. I stopped logging, and hadn't gone anywhere, so I started again. I'm definitely not new to my journey. And I'm definitely not a New Years Resolution person!!
  • Dave198lbs
    Options
    nevermind
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    What's the perfect breakfast? I'm constantly struggling with hitting my fibre and protein targets. Carbs and fat take care of themselves!

Metamucil + protein powder
  • firstsip
    Options

I Had a previous account for a year and a half, and had lost 70lbs. I stopped logging, and hadn't gone anywhere, so I started again. I'm definitely not new to my journey. And I'm definitely not a New Years Resolution person!!

So then you have even less excuse to not have researched these things?
  • walliethefrog
    walliethefrog Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I go for porridge milk and some poached eggs!
    Only when I'm exercising a large amount cause they can be calorific.
  • nwon87
    Options

I have researched these things. I've also seen a nutritionist. I don't look up things from Dr. Oz or Womens Health or whatever you said. I actually gained weight when I wasn't eating breakfast. I also usually do my workout in the morning, so for me the energy is needed. I'm also pretty sure it wasn't even you who I responded to.

****STAFF NOTE: Post has been edited due to violations of guideline #01****
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/welcome/guidelines
  • Dave198lbs
    Options

I have researched these things. I've also seen a nutritionist.

and you are still wrong.

breakfast is a matter of preference only.

eating it or skipping it It does not affect your metabolism and it does not increase or decrease weight loss
  • nwon87
    Options

and you are still wrong.

eating it or skipping it It does not affect your metabolism and it does not increase or decrease weight loss

That's fine. It does effect me though, and I'm sorry I said anything. But this is a site for weight loss, and these are things I was told by my nutritionist. I also would consider breakfast anything consumed at that time. So if you were to have coffee. That is breakfast. But if you are going to belittle people, what are you doing on a forum that is a platform for motivating individuals? Instead of being cocky and rude, you could have put it in much nicer terms. I get a "NOPE" and a "NEVERMIND" like you think I'm an idiot. There are a lot of things out there, because different things work for different people. I don't think it would have taken me 2.5 years to lose 70lbs if I knew what worked for me right away, but instead I was trying different things. It's a learning process as well.
  • Dave198lbs
    Options

and you are still wrong.

That's fine. It does effect me though, and I'm sorry I said anything. But this is a site for weight loss, and these are things I was told by my nutritionist. I also would consider breakfast anything consumed at that time. So if you were to have coffee. That is breakfast. But if you are going to belittle people, what are you doing on a forum that is a platform for motivating individuals? Instead of being cocky and rude, you could have put it in much nicer terms. I get a "NOPE" and a "NEVERMIND" like you think I'm an idiot. There are a lot of things out there, because different things work for different people. I don't think it would have taken me 2.5 years to lose 70lbs if I knew what worked for me right away, but instead I was trying different things. It's a learning process as well.

many people are just now learning what you have learned. your statements are wrong. is it supportive to let others think wrong information?

sorry if you feel that is belittling you, but this is an information site, not just a motivation site and your information is wrong. if you think it worked for you, that is good. but you were saying that is the way it is and you are incorrect.
  • nwon87
    Options

and you are still wrong.

many people are just now learning what you have learned. your statements are wrong. is it supportive to let others think wrong information?

Sorry if the way I worded it offended anyone who doesn't eat breakfast, but as I see, most people do. There is a guy in an above post that put Metamucil + protein powder. Does that sound like what one would term breakfast to you. Not really...hence why I said anything that is consumed at that time could be considered such. I'm sure the majority of people consume something from the time they wake up until lunch. Water...it's something that is consumed. Gum. I know people that chew gum when they wake up. You really don't eat it, but it has calories.
  • nwon87
    Options
    One other thing, do you really think by telling someone to skip breakfast, that it's going to help them? Had you given me that information, I would have just put weight on. So no, my information is not entirely wrong, just like your information is not entirely right. Agree to disagree.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    One other thing, do you really think by telling someone to skip breakfast, that it's going to help them? Had you given me that information, I would have just put weight on. So no, my information is not entirely wrong, just like your information is not entirely right. Agree to disagree.

You would have put weight on by not eating, by what means, magic?
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options

^^ Truth

I had to unlearn a lot of things that I "knew" to be true. Dieting myths are everywhere and have been used to sell countless bestselling books. But think about it, if they were true, then there would be no "chronic dieters."

The concept of losing weight is honestly as simple as eat fewer calories than you burn. There are a number of helpful tips that can be corollary to that, but that's the one simple thing to remember when you are first starting.

To go back to the op, I have found that for me, there is not "perfect" breakfast, but when I have a decent amount of protein, fats, and carbs for breakfast, then it keeps me satiated until lunch.
  • SinCity2003
    SinCity2003 Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    Completely boring, but I eat oatmeal every morning, 7 days a week, for breakfast. It's 160 calories and I know that part of my day is taken care of. Since we tend to eat bigger dinners, I save most of my calories for dinner time and working out for the afternoon. I seem to be doing okay <shrug>
  • nwon87
    Options

You would have put weight on by not eating, by what means, magic?

No, just when I didn't eat breakfast I always felt way more hungry and would eat more food. That's how it worked for me. There are days where I'll have a protein smoothie for breakfast, most days I have an egg, a slice of toast, and a small piece of fruit. It's not much, but for me, it works. And I'm sure it's helpful to other people out there like me. Nowhere did I say that you MUST eat a large breakfast, but even consuming water at breakfast time helps me more often than not.

Also, I eat 1200 calories a day in 5 meals. I'll consume more depending on the amount of exercise I do, and how I feel, but usually it's right around 1200. I lost 50lbs from February 2012 to June 2012...all while on this site. I was down a total of 70 lbs, 20 of which I had lost before I joined the site last Feb, but it was a battle. Like I had stated before 2.5 years to lose 70 lbs. I had to find what worked for me, so to the OP, eat or don't eat what you feel is right for you....only you really know, and its most likely going to come about by trial and error. My good trial...the one that works for me, happened to come from my nutritionist.
  • 3foldchord
    3foldchord Posts: 2,918 Member
    Options
    I had tuna salad this morning.
    My normal breakfast is almond milk with protein powder and berries.
  • successgal1
    successgal1 Posts: 996 Member
    Options
    saute bell peppers and onions in pan with 1tsp olive oil, then add one egg and one serving of egg whites, pan scramble. 1/2 whole wheat english muffin, 1tsp grape jam. If not needing the nutrients from yolk that day, use all egg whites for less calories. Skip the muffin if not needing the whole grains or carbs. Add more peppers and onions for more filling.

Still uses up a 3rd of a day of calories for me though.
  • firstsip
    Options

I have researched these things. I've also seen a nutritionist. I don't look up things from Dr. Oz or Womens Health or whatever you said. I actually gained weight when I wasn't eating breakfast. I also usually do my workout in the morning, so for me the energy is needed. I'm also pretty sure it wasn't even you who I responded to. You seem pretty negative and like someone who likes drama. 23, huh? My 13 yr old sister isn't even this bad!

Oh my, an attack on my age and an assumption on who I am from ten words, in addition to science that uniquely fits you? Yes, the bastion of maturity you are.

Keep in mind, you assumed I thought you were a NYR person, when I distinctly said you weren't, and much of my original message was directed at a cumulative group. Perhaps reevaluating assumptions is in order here...