What are your favorite afternoon snacks? I need some ideas!

Options
Hi All, after logging food for the past few weeks, I'm determining that my most difficult time is between 1:30pm and dinner and then sometimes AFTER dinner I just don't feel satisfied and want to snack some more. of course I reach for the empty calories rather than something healthy. Would love to hear your ideas of good afternoon snacks, and if you've had my problem, how did you make the shift? Thanks much for your input and ideas.

Replies

• crobl
    crobl Posts: 380
    Options
    Apple slices with almond or cashew butter.

Wasabi peas & honey sesame sticks

^^ 2 of my faves
  • sat6981
    sat6981 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I just bought a case of Treetop Organic Applesauce cups. There is no sugar added and they are 50 calories per cup which is 4 ounces.
  • Im_NotPerfect
    Im_NotPerfect Posts: 2,181 Member
    Options
    I've been eating apple slices and cinnamon/raisin bagel chips right around 2:30 or so. It does the job to tide me over until dinner time.
  • timmemin
    timmemin Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    When I am really hungry there is nothing better than a Luna Bar. It feels like a total treat and it's under 200 calories!
  • melinda200208
    melinda200208 Posts: 525 Member
    Options
    I'd like some ideas as well. I need more healthy snack ideas.

I like to snack on almonds, fiber one bars, rice cakes, thats about all I snack on. I needs some new ideas :)
  • tamheath
    tamheath Posts: 702 Member
    Options
    A "steamable" bag of frozen edamame, topped with kosher salt. A big ol' pile of sugar snow peas, dipped in a little light ranch. I'm all about the salty-crunchy snack, and those help me replace my chips. :drinker:
  • staceyseeger
    staceyseeger Posts: 783 Member
    Options
    Cocoa-roasted almonds
    Light Laughing Cow cheese wedge
    Venision sticks / venison jerky
  • DebraYvonne
    DebraYvonne Posts: 632 Member
    Options
    Edamame, 10 natural almonds, apple, low-fat string cheese, 1/2 of sweet potato (cooked night before and cut into wedges) and I eat them cold. This last one sounds gross but it is filling & I am a sweet potato freak! My Vit. A levels are probably lethal = )
  • kooltray87
    kooltray87 Posts: 501 Member
    Options
    I love Kashi chocolate chip cookies!!!
  • 75Juniper
    75Juniper Posts: 376
    Options
    I like almonds or string cheese.

A suggestion for you: I like to eat a bigger meal and snack in the evening as well. I finally gave up trying to fight it, and now I pre-log my day to build it in. I stay within my calorie goal and I'm happy.
  • AlayshaJ
    AlayshaJ Posts: 703 Member
    Options
    Eat an actual meal? A small one. I only eat snacks out of laziness. Chicken sweet potato and spinach. It can be as many cals as you want. Bam, filling. Eff snacks.
  • Lalouse
    Lalouse Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    I usually have fruit like apples or bananas, because I'm really craving sweets during that time of day as well. My nutritionist recommended melting one square of dark chocolate in the microwave (at work) and then chopping my banana into it. You can also throw some cinnamon or a couple drops of honey on an apple and pop that into the microwave.

I'm also into carrots + healthy dip or nuts of any kind (in moderation).
  • kdub67
    kdub67 Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    Skinny Pop popcorn and Townhouse Light Club Crackers with an ounce of sharp cheddar are my go-to afternoon snacks!
  • HBrasley
    Options
    I like carrot sticks and hummus!
  • Strobins05
    Options
    Almonds and berries
  • vectorvictor
    Options
    Aldi stocks great Double Chocolate Protein bars that clock in at 170 calories and make an excellent post-lunch snack to get you through the afternoon. They also have a Peanut Butter flavor they stock standard, and two varieties (chocolate chip and Strawberry) that they occasionally stock when 'health foods/items' are their sale o' the week.

I have quite a sweet tooth, and these protein bars have worked rather well for the past half a year to sate my cravings.
  • ravenchick
    ravenchick Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    A banana, love them!
  • Mcgrawhaha
    Mcgrawhaha Posts: 1,596 Member
    Options
    i love love love veggies and ranch. i found awesome low cal ranch, taste just as good as the fatty stuff! its made by bolthouse, made from yogart, and is only 45 calories for 2 tablespoons!!! thats my favorite!!!
  • Chinadorian
    Chinadorian Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    i love cottage cheese with red pepper flakes in the pm.
    I also recommend (if you have time/inclination/good recipes) just make your own protein bars, or granola bars. They dont take too much time and you can individually wrap them for convenience. Jamie Eason has a lot of great protein bar recipes on bodybuilding.com
  • AllenWins
    Options
    almonds, frozen grapes, pineapple, apple slices, carrot sticks, dry cereal, hard-boiled eggs

I try to keep it light, and choose something in the macro category I'm most lacking in my planned meals