Has anyone else red 50 Shades of Grey?

Options

Replies

• SpecialSundae
    SpecialSundae Posts: 795 Member
    Options
    If its so bad, why was it such a best seller? I don't get it.

I've thought about reading just for research. But, then I read reviews and I don't want to waste my time. Why do bad reviews and sales not match up?
    It isn't bad. People are just JEALOUS.

It's dreadful. Even the AUTHOR admits that it's a very badly written set of books!

I read them all out loud to my husband because the first one was hilarious and I kept wondering when it would get kinky (it never really did).

On a related note, it makes an excellent drinking game as it's so repetitive and clichéd.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options

I've thought about reading just for research. But, then I read reviews and I don't want to waste my time. Why do bad reviews and sales not match up?

Peer pressure, media exposure and decline in quality education. Just look at all the people buying Dr. Oz suggested products. Also, take a look at the grammar and spelling on social media sites like this. The book got media attention, so people wanted to see what it was about. Many of them think it's good because they really don't understand quality literature.
    You mean, like, VC Andrews books?
  • No_Finish_Line
    No_Finish_Line Posts: 3,662 Member
    Options
    is that a typo or a play on words in the thread title?
  • futurestarz
    Options
    This review was was better than the book: http://www.goodreads.com/review/show/340987215

I read this review a few months ago. It is the greatest thing ever!
  • christy_frank
    christy_frank Posts: 680 Member
    Options
    You wish your boyfriend was deeply emotionally damaged and incapable of having a healthy relationship?

Oh you mean you wish he was wealthy? I can get behind that!

HAHAHA. Yes, this!
  • Ginnyesq
    Ginnyesq Posts: 109
    Options

Nobody ever went broke underestimating the taste of the American people. - quote from some guy I forgot.
  • Meatsies
    Meatsies Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    Ewww. No. Just, ew. No.
  • shortnerdy
    Options
    I have nothing positive so say at all so ill just step away slowly ....
  • Juliejustsaying
    Juliejustsaying Posts: 2,332 Member
    Options
    eh, I don't find torture erotic...and they were so craptastically written, nope..I couldn't get past chapter whatever... zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Note: for the record, Christian Grey can't hold a candle to my bf...so maybe you just need a new bf in real life...just break up.

snicker.
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options

Peer pressure, media exposure and decline in quality education. Just look at all the people buying Dr. Oz suggested products. Also, take a look at the grammar and spelling on social media sites like this. The book got media attention, so people wanted to see what it was about. Many of them think it's good because they really don't understand quality literature.

Try Harper Lee, John Steinbeck, Mark Twain, Ernest Hemingway, Louisa May Alcott, Nathaniel Hawthorne, E.B. White and hell I'd take Stephen King over 50 Shades and most the garbage out now.
  • Juashmom
    Options
    I read all three, liked all of them...I thought it was a great story....but Its not literary work of art.
  • SteelersFan7
    SteelersFan7 Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    Christian Grey?? Seriously? Please, I'll take Ron Weasley any day!

Yes!!!! This one right here is a winner.
  • EmilyTwist1
    EmilyTwist1 Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    Read the free sample on my Kindle. Glad I didn't pay for it. The writing was bland and thoroughly unconvincing. People in the Pacific Northwest don't use British slang (unless they're actually British). I never got to any of the sex scenes, but if they're written anything like the rest of the book, I would not enjoy them.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options

Try Harper Lee, John Steinbeck, Mark Twain, Ernest Hemingway, Louisa May Alcott, Nathaniel Hawthorne, E.B. White and hell I'd take Stephen King over 50 Shades and most the garbage out now.
    What kind of stuff do they write?
  • VelociMama
    VelociMama Posts: 3,119 Member
    Options
    50-Shades-of-Hell-naw_large.jpg
  • jeremyw1977
    jeremyw1977 Posts: 505 Member
    Options
    My wife read them, and I was the beneficiary.
  • rlmiller73190
    rlmiller73190 Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    I followed the same logic that someone else on here had. I read the first 1, might as well read the 2nd, then might as well read the 3rd. I hated Ana and the writing, but I loved Christian after he fell in love with Ana (not enough to want to FIND a Christian Grey, unless he's wealthy and handsome, but ain't nobody got time to be in a relationship with an emotionally damaged man/woman). Although I do find myself loving male characters that are emotionally damaged, such as Christian Grey and Chuck Bass (Gossip Girl); I think that's the nurturer in me...
  • AHealthierRhonda
    AHealthierRhonda Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    My wife read them, and I was the beneficiary.

My HUbby would agree with you! He asked when I planned to read them again!? LOL
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    What kind of stuff do they write?

I'm officially writing you off as a troll.
  • ChelMar24
    Options
    Yesss..... interesting topic OP:smokin: