Any healthy ground beef recipes??

Options

Replies

• WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    Sorry, no such thing as "healthy" ground beef. Best you can do is to eat only 2 to 3 oz. for each meal.

2 things. 1) You are incorrect 2) your cat looks like hitler

FTW. Seriously, I laughed out loud.

4 ounces is the correct serving for ground beef, IMO. And 80/20 is the best fat ratio. (And the cheapest!)
  • michellelhartwig
    michellelhartwig Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    bumping! LOTS of GREAT ideas!
  • WendyTerry420
    Options
    I have some ground beef in the freezer and would like to have it for dinner tonight... Any suggestions? We're over tacos, spaghetti, hamburgers... bleh. Need something new and delicious!

The easiest chili recipe on earth!

1 lb lean ground beef
    1 large can of no-salt added whole tomatoes
    1 can of low-sodium kidney beans
    *edited to add: chili powder to taste

Seriously... like 200 calories a bowl and a ton of potassium and protein.

Definitely looks easy, but don't forget the cumin!
  • WendyTerry420
    Options
    Next time try turkey instead of beef.. A lot healthier! Enjoy!

Eww! Turkey is horrible all ground up! There's not enough fat to make it work.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    I have some ground beef in the freezer and would like to have it for dinner tonight... Any suggestions? We're over tacos, spaghetti, hamburgers... bleh. Need something new and delicious!

1 lb lean ground beef

Double the above recipe and use a habenero pepper instead of the cumin. No spices in my chili!

• mommy1126
    mommy1126 Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    My go-to when I want something easy with Hamburger, is Hamburger Helper. I just add at least one can of Rotel Tomatoes, and whatever other veggies I want while I am cooking it : ).
  • amaresnape
    Options
    Add the tiniest pinch of cinnamon to it while it's still raw in the pan as well as some big onion chunks (for flavor). once it's mostly browned, add some of this stuff http://bragg.com/products/bragg-liquid-aminos-soy-alternative.html mixed with about 2 tsp agave nectar/syrup

This will be a slightly caramelized teriyaki mix. Now, toss it around with some veggies, put it over brown rice, and tada! delish.

TIP: for the future, buy bison meat. It's so much healthier, and you'll barely notice a difference in taste. It's much more expensive though, but you will be able to find it in giant or wholefoods.
  • WendyTerry420
    Options

1 lb lean ground beef

Double the above recipe and use a habenero pepper instead of the cumin. No spices in my chili!

My stomach would kick my *kitten* if I gave it habanero! :laugh:
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options

1 lb lean ground beef

My stomach would kick my *kitten* if I gave it habanero! :laugh:

Try cerano peppers then... probably only 1-2 per lb of ground beef.
  • kuntry_navy
    kuntry_navy Posts: 677 Member
    Options
    my favorite easy one is: brown ground beef, throw in chopped onions and jalepenos, a can of red beans, and flavor with louisiana hot sauce or tabasco. it ain't chili, no powder
  • auroranflash
    auroranflash Posts: 3,569 Member
    Options
    Brown the ground beef, remove it. Leave a little fat in the pan. Saute onions, garlic, mushrooms, diced tomatoes, diced zucchini and squash, and anything else you feel like chunking in there. Add Newman's Own Sockarooni spaghetti sauce and re-add the ground beef. Let it simmer for a while. Best chunky garden pasta sauce around. I add a can of sliced black olives too.
  • jenguhl
    jenguhl Posts: 79
    Options
    Ever used Zatteran's low sodium dirty rice mix? My hubby loves that one. It's in the pasta/ rice aisle at the grocery and is about 190 calories for a full cup serving.
  • sjohnny
    sjohnny Posts: 56,142 Member
    Options
    bacon cheeseburger

doesn't sound healthy... lol

Sounds perfectly healthy.

Just don't rinse off the flavor.
  • MelissR75
    MelissR75 Posts: 760 Member
    Options
    Sorry, no such thing as "healthy" ground beef. Best you can do is to eat only 2 to 3 oz. for each meal.

2 things. 1) You are incorrect 2) your cat looks like hitler
    lmfao!! You made me spit my water out
  • MelissR75
    MelissR75 Posts: 760 Member
    Options
    Stuffed bell peppers
    ^^This. I use brown rice and 90/10 ground beef. Yummmm
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    LOL Hitler cat says try beef burritos, swedish meatballs, beef goulash tomatoes, pasta, and onions, cheesy beef and macaroni, ground beef stroganoff, sloppy joes, or mini meatloaf in a cupcake pan.

Hitler cat also says avoid anything kosher because he's Hitler cat and all.
  • CM9178
    CM9178 Posts: 1,265 Member
    Options
    Next time try turkey instead of beef.. A lot healthier! Enjoy!

Eww! Turkey is horrible all ground up! There's not enough fat to make it work.
    You are clearly making the wrong recipes then. I have a ton of AMAZING ground turkey recipes with a ton of flavor.
  • DANCERPURPLE
    DANCERPURPLE Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    BUMP
  • tlatrice13
    tlatrice13 Posts: 162 Member
    Options

1 lb lean ground beef

Yes. I make this all the time using black beans instead of kidney beans, and instead of whole tomatoes, I use tomato sauce (15 oz) and a can of Rotel tomatoes for a little kick. LOW calories and VERY filling. I've been making it a lot this winter.
  • Mjhnbgff
    Mjhnbgff Posts: 112
    Options
    Here's one from Cooking Light if you like Asian food.

Simmered Cabbage with Beef, Shan Style

2 tablespoons peanut oil 1 cup thinly vertically sliced shallots 1 teaspoon salt 1 teaspoon turmeric 1/2 teaspoon ground red pepper 1/4 pound ground sirloin
    4 cups finely shredded cabbage (about 1 small head) 1 cup thin plum tomato wedges (about 2 medium) $
    1/3 cup coarsely chopped unsalted, dry-roasted peanuts

Preparation
    1. Heat a wok or Dutch oven over medium heat. Add peanut oil to pan, and swirl to coat. Add shallots, salt, turmeric, and red pepper; cook for 3 minutes or until shallots are tender, stirring frequently. Add beef; cook for 2 minutes or until the beef begins to brown. Add cabbage and tomato; toss well to combine. Reduce heat to medium-low; cover and cook for 10 minutes or until cabbage wilts. Stir in peanuts; cover and cook 10 minutes or until cabbage is tender.

Note:
    This recipe appeared in The New Way to Cook Light (2012) and in the November, 2012 25th anniversary issue.

Naomi Duguid, Cooking Light
    NOVEMBER 2011