What diets have worked best for you?

Options

Replies

• CM9178
    CM9178 Posts: 1,265 Member
    Options
    No diet.

Just learning to replace unhealthy food with healthy food (one step at a time) and eating a deficit in calories.

Isn't that the common usage definition of "diet"?

Fine then. We mean diet PLAN.

a diet to me refers to something you plan on stopping, not something you plan on sticking to

Why would someone plan on stopping something that helped them get to a healthy weight?
    A diet is just another way of saying Diet plan - AKA - a way of eating - which is permanent.
    If you think of a diet as something you plan on stopping - then you have the wrong attitude.
    Your diet - is the way you eat - and people use different diet methods/ways of eating to lose weight and maintain weight loss.
  • graysmom2005
    graysmom2005 Posts: 1,882 Member
    Options
    The 17 day worked for me then the holidays came and I fell off track. Now starting back on cycle 1 this week.

I don't mean this ugly....but if you fell off track of this "diet" and have to start back on a "cycle 1" then it really didn't work, did it.
  • CM9178
    Options

??? I don't understand the difference.

The definition of a diet is "everything you eat".
    A diet plan is things like weight watchers, south beach diet, atkins etc.
    No, That's actually not correct -South Beach and Atkins are not the same kinds of "diets" or "diet plans" as Weight Watchers.
    Once you stop counting weight watchers points, you are still eating the way you should be - it is a permanent diet change. Atkins, for example, teaches you a trick to lose weight quickly, and when you stop following that plan, you gain it all back. Two totally different things.
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    No special diet - mine was a lifestyle change as well. Tracking food was a huge eye-opener for me. I thought I ate pretty well, but tracking my food showed me how much junk I was eating and how little protein I was getting. This helped me make changes and adjustments to the foods I ate on a regular basis to get that protein every day, healthier fats and good carbs, and backing off the sodium. Getting enough water helped too.

No temporary fixes for me - can't make temporary changes and expect permanent results - I'm in this for good, and what I'm doing now is sustainable (and adjustable as needed) for me. I am losing fat, and still enjoying life, holidays, birthday parties, and the foods that go with them. Burgers, pizza, alcohol, desserts - all still on my menu, just not in the quantities they were before, and my burgers are generally loaded with veggies rather than condiments.

This helped me a bunch, too: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/654536-in-place-of-a-road-map-2-0-revised-7-2-12
  • CM9178
    Options
    There are many misconceptions about Weight Watchers - mostly by people who don't really research or understand the system and what is is supposed to teach you.
    I truly believe it is the best "diet plan" or whatever you want to call it, out there - because it teaches you the RIGHT way of eating - for the rest of your life. It is unrealistic to use something like Atkins which may help you lose weight quickly - because it is not a plan for the long term.
    Weight Watchers teaches you correct portion sizes. It teaches you which foods are better for you than others- but never tells you that you CAN'T eat something - just in moderation. It is a change in the way of eating and the way you look at food. It helps you change your eating habits and learn how to eat properly - for the rest of your life.
    Any "diet" or "diet plan" that says you can't eat certain foods will never last! Any "diet" that has cycles will never last! They are just quick fixes designed to help you lose some weight quickly, so you think it is working and as soon as you stop following the crazy plan, you gain it all back plus more.

I did Weight Watchers 10 years ago and lost 70 lbs. Now, yes, I did gain it all back - but that had nothing to do with the system - that was MY problem - I started eating everything under the sun - for 10 years. Had I continued following the habits that Weight Watchers tried teaching me, I would've maintained that weight loss. The first time - I had the wrong attitude that it was a "diet" instead of a permanent change. This time around, I've already lost 38 lbs and counting - and this time - I completely understand what Weight Watchers teaches - and what I need to do in order to maintain the loss in the future.
  • Applegondi69
    Applegondi69 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    South Beach and I successfully lost 30lbs, gaining 10 back.
  • stephanj
    stephanj Posts: 898 Member
    Options
    17 day diet has worked for me every time. Every. single. time. But the problem is, I don't do well with restrictive, and I end up going "off" it, so now I am working on my own plan which is not a diet. But if I had less than 10 llbs to lose, it can be gone in 17 days. It's just really restrictive at first, and really boring. Now I am trying not to be "on" or "off" something, if that makes sense.
  • firstsip
    firstsip Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options

No, That's actually not correct -South Beach and Atkins are not the same kinds of "diets" or "diet plans" as Weight Watchers.
    Once you stop counting weight watchers points, you are still eating the way you should be - it is a permanent diet change. Atkins, for example, teaches you a trick to lose weight quickly, and when you stop following that plan, you gain it all back. Two totally different things.

... The definition of diet (outside of Japan) is "what you eat." If you're eating low carb, that is part of your diet. If you're not, that is also your diet. It's just what you eat.

The term "diet" used to denote CHANGING eating habits is a separate definition.

Either way... how do South Beach or Atkins or even WW fall out of any of those definitions.
  • vytamindi
    vytamindi Posts: 845 Member
    Options
    I've been sticking to caloric deficit and exercise. With that said, I do have my macros set to include high fat, moderate protein, and low carb. I find it's the best way for me to not be starving all day.

I stopped counting carbs for xmas vacation (was in another state for more than a week) and my body reacted horribly. I bloated, got gassy, and felt super bingey. Now, I'm not blaming the carbs. It was my fault for shocking my body with processed stuff. I'm sure it was just the drastic change of quality of food consumed that caused all of that. I was never so happy to be home and making my own food again.

Now I'm back on low carb, and I feel so much better. This time, it'll be sustainable since I love how I feel.

You just have to experiment with how certain foods make you feel. Best of luck in finding that balance :)
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options

Not really. Adkins is meant to be a lifelong diet, just like Weight Watchers. More people find WW sustainable long term, but that doesn't mean that Adkins can't be sustained long term. Don't mistake popular preference with possible.

Ever heard the saying "it's a poor workman who blames his tools". Likewise, it is unfair to blame a diet for failure when one chooses to stop the diet.
  • CM9178
    Options

Not really. Adkins is meant to be a lifelong diet, just like Weight Watchers. More people find WW sustainable long term, but that doesn't mean that Adkins can't be sustained long term. Don't mistake popular preference with possible.

Ever heard the saying "it's a poor workman who blames his tools". Likewise, it is unfair to blame a diet for failure when one chooses to stop the diet.
    Ok, let me put it this way - maybe you can intend to do Atkins for the rest of your life - but it is an extremely unhealthy way of eating, and as soon as you stop following that specific plan, you gain all of the weight back plus more - even if you aren't eating "bad" - because it is a specific plan that must be followed. It is also very unrealistic to plan to do Atkins for the rest of your life.

WW teaches you how to eat HEALTHY and properly - with a balanced diet - which is sustainable for the rest of your life. It might be referred to as a diet plan, but truthfully if you follow and understand it properly- you will realize that it isn't a diet plan at all.
  • CM9178
    Options

... The definition of diet (outside of Japan) is "what you eat." If you're eating low carb, that is part of your diet. If you're not, that is also your diet. It's just what you eat.

Either way... how do South Beach or Atkins or even WW fall out of any of those definitions.

I can say I follow a "portion controlled, low fat, high fiber, balanced diet", or I can say I follow Weight Watchers - they are both the same thing.

People confuse the point counting as some other gimmick - it is just a different way of tracking your nutrients.
    If you learn how the points work - you can be eating the same diet that Weight Watchers encourages and not counting points.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options

Ok, let me put it this way - maybe you can intend to do Atkins for the rest of your life - but it is an extremely unhealthy way of eating, and as soon as you stop following that specific plan, you gain all of the weight back plus more - even if you aren't eating "bad" - because it is a specific plan that must be followed. It is also very unrealistic to plan to do Atkins for the rest of your life.

WW teaches you how to eat HEALTHY and properly - with a balanced diet - which is sustainable for the rest of your life. It might be referred to as a diet plan, but truthfully if you follow and understand it properly- you will realize that it isn't a diet plan at all.

Clearly you don't understand the Adkins diet.
  • patmegkaren
    patmegkaren Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Weight Watchers is a good program. Basically, it is like counting calories only every food has a point value, as least that's how it worked when I did it. I was in the at work program and it was nice to have to get weighed weekly by strangers, for some reason it made me feel more accoutable. Also, some of the meeting were informative and it's nice to know others are struggling with you. Whatever you try, it's not going to work unless you are ready. Good luck. I like my fitness pal
  • vytamindi
    vytamindi Posts: 845 Member
    Options

I disagree. Although I am not doing the Atkins plan, my diet (in the sense of what I eat) revolves around high fats and low carbs. Why is this not healthy? Why is it not sustainable? Those questions might have different answers for me than for you, and that's okay. I truly believe that cutting out most of the processed crap and focusing more on meat and veggies has done wonders for my health. I've never felt better.

Anecdotal evidence at best, I understand that. However, there are plenty of people on my friends list who have sustained this way of eating for a while. They're pretty healthy folks! I do understand that we're not all the same and what works for me is not what will work for you. That's okay! But I wouldn't go around and label a higher carb macro diet as unhealthy. If it works for you, that's awesome!

Different strokes, different folks :)
  • issyfit
    issyfit Posts: 1,077 Member
    Options
    Clearly you don't understand the Adkins diet.

Or South Beach--phase 3 is a lifetime way of healthy eating for maintenance.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    No diet.

Just learning to replace unhealthy food with healthy food (one step at a time) and eating a deficit in calories.

Isn't that the common usage definition of "diet"?

Fine then. We mean diet PLAN.

a diet to me refers to something you plan on stopping, not something you plan on sticking to

That would properly be called a "restricted diet." :flowerforyou:
  • Sh1tsRainbows
    Sh1tsRainbows Posts: 1,227 Member
    Options
    I have tried many diets though none really work, so I have been eating healthy but I like to be able to have a diet plan. Any work well for you guys? :)
    A balanced one. Balanced means ample amounts of Fats, Proteins, and Carbohydrates.

this!!
  • chickentunashake
    chickentunashake Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    for me works best the low carb high protein. I started out with Atkins, and now I am kind of between maintaince and keto for over year. Love it
  • firstsip
    firstsip Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options

I can say I follow a "portion controlled, low fat, high fiber, balanced diet", or I can say I follow Weight Watchers - they are both the same thing.

People confuse the point counting as some other gimmick - it is just a different way of tracking your nutrients.
    If you learn how the points work - you can be eating the same diet that Weight Watchers encourages and not counting points.

Yes, so being on WW, whatever foods you eat, are part of your diet. I was pointing out your incorrect semantics. I could give a **** about WW.