Why do we get annoyed by Resolutionists

Options
So there was another thread about gym newbies and as typical it degenerated into a discussion about "why the newbie hate". So rather than continue side tracking that thread, I felt like putting that up here as a separate discussion. I've asked myself this same question. Why is it the influx of new gym members at the start of the new year so invariably frustrating. I agree that as regular gym goers, we should be trying to encourage these folks to succeed. I don't believe it's hate, I'm not even sure it's really that we're being judgmental but many of "us" do become frustrated. So here are some thoughts I have as to why.

First, we all know what happens in the gym after the new year. New memberships skyrocket, evenings that saw moderate usage suddenly are packed with people. Everyone is left competing and waiting for equipment. That alone is frustrating and since it's the "newbies" or "resolutionists" that caused it, of course they become the target of our frustration.

Second, we also all know that within a few short months, the gym will go back down to its normal usage levels. Indeed I can say from talking to folks at a few of the gyms I've been a member at, their expected retention rate for New Year's enrollments is under 50% (meaning less than half the people will be members at the end of the year). Of those that remain members the majority will stop showing up consistently and will only use the club on a very sporadic basis. So now those of us that use the gym on a committed basis see these folks and the "havoc" they cause as completely unnecessary because most will not reach the goals we assume they have.

Third, most of the folks here on MFP have made real commitments to improving our health. We didn't just decide that it's a New Year so we better get in shape (an attitude we project on the mass New Year's resolutionists showing up at the club). We know from experience that New Year's resolutions don't hold up and are not sufficient motivation to be successful at improving ones health. I believe we scorn the newbies because we know how much hard work it really takes and there is a belief that the majority of these folks lack the commitment and think all they have to do is sign up for a gym membership and it'll be easy to lose weight. Indeed many of them likely do have that attitude and that's really too bad.

Fourth and related to the third is that most of these newbies come in not even realizing that there is this thing called gym etiquette let alone actually understanding and practicing it. They are often unfamiliar with the equipment, misuse it, have bad form, talk on cell phones and just exhibit a true lack of any desire to educate themselves on proper gym conduct before getting involved in a gym. Those of us who've spent countless hours self-educating, researching and/or working with trainers can become distracted and annoyed by this attitude. Now the question is how much of it is really their attitude and how much again is simply ignorance where they've been conditioned to believe this "gym thing" is easy (in some cases by the gyms themselves).

So I'll go so far as to say that while we can't assume that everyone of the newbies at the club fits into this stereotype we have of them, history and experience shows that the majority do. So whether it's judgmental or not, to a degree the assumptions we make are justified. Our annoyance with the situation of packed clubs (which is annoying no matter what causes it) gets directed in this case as what we perceive to be the cause, the influx of new members. So to those that are annoyed, we need to remember that not all of the newbies are what we think they are. I'm sure many want to be successful but just don't know how. Some empathy and understanding might be called for. For those that think we're a-holes for "judging" them, the same empathy could be employed. We've all made huge commitments and have been dedicated and don't like seeing our routines negatively impacted by those without the same level of commitment and dedication. It's an understandable feeling.

Now, finally I'll offer up some reasons to actually like the influx of "resolutionist". First and foremost, they are what keep your gym membership fees low. We all like the gym to be fairly empty so we don't have to compete for eqiupment but that's not sustainable unless there are members paying but not going to the gym. This time of year is a huge money maker for fitness clubs. Remember if these newbies had our commitment to working out regularly, the club would be packed all the time. Second, some of them are actually committed and will be successful. They need to be encouraged. Third, Remember what it was like when you were new to the gym. Those people that looked down on you because you didn't do things the right way. Now's your turn to break that mold. It's an opportunity for you to showcase your success to those that are just getting started (I mean you've been working out, you look damn good, be proud of it). You can be an inspiration to them even if you never talk to them. Just be friendly, don't judge and imagine how much better you can make their experience. Show them that serious gym goers aren't always judgmental know-it-all's. Related to that theme, use that opportunity as your inspiration to further improve your workouts. Show off your best form, your hardest effort, your detailed attention to gym etiquette so they can learn from your example. It's actually kind of an exciting opportunity when you think about it, at least it is to me.

So what do you think? Fair enough?

Replies

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    Here here :drinker: ...I be one of 'em...though honestly, I've decided to hold off until next month. I could barely get my foot in the door this morning when I went to go meet with the trainer. Thought I was at Costco or Sam's Club on a Saturday afternoon.
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options
    Fair enough.

I would say that "gym etiquette" isn't on the new members though. I feel that it is the gym's responsibility that all members know and understand gym etiquette.
  • mrsc86
    mrsc86 Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    It's the classes that I find good fun at this time of year.....newbies generally stick to the back - but inevitably one will come further forward and nick a space that's been 'yours' for that particular class all year - that throws me off. However, I just try to make sure I'm early to the class so this isn't an issue (mainly for body pump so I can see myself in the mirror for form)

Generally, when I go, there will always be equipment - and if not - most newbies will be on 10-20 mins per machine so I'll do something else until they are done.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    Fair enough.

I would say that "gym etiquette" isn't on the new members though. I feel that it is the gym's responsibility that all members know and understand gym etiquette.
    Agreed. The gym I go to has an etiquette "policy" that is posted on their website, and is explained (and a copy provided) to every new member when they sign their contract. I agree with the rules and think they're a pretty good guide for etiquette for a newbie:

* All cell phones must be on silent. Use of cell phones is restricted to the front lobby area!

* Dropping weights and using loud, foul or slanderous language will not be tolerated!

* Food and beverages other than bottled water are not allowed in the workout area.

* Use of alcohol and/or tobacco products is prohibited.

* Ask if you may “work in”, and always let others work in.

* When working in with someone, return the seat and weight to the last user’s setup.

* Wear proper athletic shoes and clothing. Bare feet, socks-only, sandals and work boots are prohibited.

* Towels are required. Wipe off equipment when finished.

* Limit perfume and cologne use.

* Gym bags are not allowed in any workout area.

* Ask for assistance if you do not know how to use equipment.

* Work out at your own fitness level.

* Do not remove weights, benches or equipment from their proper place.

* Collars on weight bars are mandatory!

* Always use a spotter when attempting to lift maximum weight.

* Re-rack weights and return all other accessories to their proper locations.

* Use of chalk is not permitted.

* Misuse of equipment and disregard of this policy will result in immediate expulsion!
  • WrenStory
    WrenStory Posts: 103
    Options
    All excellent points, both sides of the argument. Most people on here, including oldies, probably aren't able to be quite this fair minded about it.
  • atynk
    atynk Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    This is funny, because I was just looking through the success stories section of the forum , and there were like 3 random posts def not success story, more of general help... made me laugh, but eventually they should understand where to post :)
  • Flixie00
    Flixie00 Posts: 1,195 Member
    Options
    Nicely put sir.

PT told me that you should always pass something back, I believe it was something Arnie said (he's a big fan). I always try to be friendly to newbies, and will offer advise (especially in my step class). That said, I will be looking forward to when the Resolutionists numbers thin out.
  • bluefox9er
    bluefox9er Posts: 2,917 Member
    Options
    my gym etiquette is simple..wear high vis gear when it's dark and a head torch, smile at people who look at you as if you are delusional , run against the flow of traffic and fire snot rockets at bikers who try to scare you. 'pausing' your garmin = epic fail.
  • SyStEmPhReAk
    SyStEmPhReAk Posts: 330 Member
    Options
    :noway: cliff notes???

Joking! Good post!
  • mrskchris
    mrskchris Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I was definitely feeling the frustration this week. The parking lot was full when it normally is not, and all the snow dis not help the situation. I made sure I got there a little early to because I wanted my usual spot in Zumba class. Sure enough, the class was packed. I am trying to have empathy for those that are trying to make a change, but it is a little annoying when they are not following gym etiquette.
  • GRINWITHIN
    GRINWITHIN Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Good post. I have to say, I tend to shy away from gym's because I am one of those who have no idea what the heck they are doing. I asked Santa for sessions with a personal trainer to learn to work around some of my physical limitations but my partner has a different mentality than I do.

My partner sees anything like exercise equipment, training, or gym memberships as "torture". I see it as longevity and health. I understand I sleep better when I exercise. My overall health, energy and endurance can keep up with my mind. My Dad knows little about personal training, but bought the fit bit and aria scale to help with my efforts.

I wish I could find someone local that could point me in the right direction to mix things up a bit but until then... I have my FitBit and calorie burn goals.
  • emilykg12
    emilykg12 Posts: 119
    Options
    I'm just full of the angst I never let out as a teenager and appreciate it as an opportunity to point fingers at THOSE people.

(I don't even have a gym membership.)
  • small_ninja
    small_ninja Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the post; sums it up pretty well.
  • lilpoindexter
    lilpoindexter Posts: 1,122 Member
    Options
    Alright...when do we get to start bashing the mofos that start crowding the gym right before summer?
  • sunsnstatheart
    sunsnstatheart Posts: 2,544 Member
    Options
    Well written and reasoned, if not just a tad long. Does this mean we can put the nail in the coffin of the old "gym newbies" threads?

Pretty please?
  • ryanherbert
    ryanherbert Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Great post.
  • icimani
    icimani Posts: 1,454 Member
    Options
    Excellent post, OP.
    Just be friendly, don't judge and imagine how much better you can make their experience. Show them that serious gym goers aren't always judgmental know-it-all's.
  • djames92
    djames92 Posts: 990 Member
    Options
    i do hate Resolutionists! not because they are at the gym on the machines but because it pisses me off that they arent gonna stick to it ( sorry to any of you doing a resolution) but statistically they arent going to. if you were really going to get in shape why would you wait until new years to start? its just a month long thing for about 85% which is what annoys me
  • Mock_Turtle
    Mock_Turtle Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    I don't mind even if most will fail. Let people do their own thing, whatever that might be.

My problem isn't with the noobs, it's with my gym. When there is going to be an influx of noobs, they need to be staffing the place more strongly to make sure that things stay clean, everything is sorted, and broken equipment is looked after quickly. I mean your revenue is going up right now, it only makes sense to make sure that all your new customers like the environment.

My gym always looks like a fng bomb went off - barbells and dumbells EVERYWHERE, weight bars rolled into all kinds of crazy hiding places, etc. And this is a pretty expensive chain gym, they should be doing much better. It's gotten even worse this month.

Either strictly enforce the weight re-racking policy or clean that **** up
  • JaseyMakesHerMove
    Options
    I don't think my gym has this issue as much as others (it's a bit more expensive...) plus I always work out late at night so the 'after work' crowd has already left. Although every once and a while I catch them. The issue for me is that I am a bigger girl (to put is lightly) but fairly fit and able to work hard. But most resolutionists are smaller than me, and they'll get onto the machine right next to me and I can feel them giving me this dirty look when I am working harder than them.

Though in general I am not a fan of anyone who doesn't get gym etiquette. My pet peeve is guys who do not understand that slamming down the weights between every repetition is actually...not how you lift weights.