Options

Replies

• time2cutnow
    time2cutnow Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    Packerjohn wrote: »
    AnvilHead wrote: »
    Fair enough.

I would say that "gym etiquette" isn't on the new members though. I feel that it is the gym's responsibility that all members know and understand gym etiquette.
    Agreed. The gym I go to has an etiquette "policy" that is posted on their website, and is explained (and a copy provided) to every new member when they sign their contract. I agree with the rules and think they're a pretty good guide for etiquette for a newbie:

* All cell phones must be on silent. Use of cell phones is restricted to the front lobby area!

* Dropping weights and using loud, foul or slanderous language will not be tolerated!

* Food and beverages other than bottled water are not allowed in the workout area.

* Use of alcohol and/or tobacco products is prohibited.

* Ask if you may “work in”, and always let others work in.

* When working in with someone, return the seat and weight to the last user’s setup.

* Wear proper athletic shoes and clothing. Bare feet, socks-only, sandals and work boots are prohibited.

* Towels are required. Wipe off equipment when finished.

* Limit perfume and cologne use.

* Gym bags are not allowed in any workout area.

* Ask for assistance if you do not know how to use equipment.

* Work out at your own fitness level.

* Do not remove weights, benches or equipment from their proper place.

* Collars on weight bars are mandatory!

* Always use a spotter when attempting to lift maximum weight.

* Re-rack weights and return all other accessories to their proper locations.

* Use of chalk is not permitted.

* Misuse of equipment and disregard of this policy will result in immediate expulsion!

I wish my gym would post something like this. Especially the perfume part. I have had to leave the gym with a migraines because some lady wanted to smell like flowers during her workout.

Nice idea, but who's definition of limited perfume do you go by?

How about just no perfume.
  • time2cutnow
    Options
    Just my opinion, but I would prefer smelling perfume/cologne than BO.

As much as I hate BO, it doesn't cause me pain, so I will take the BO over the perfume.
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options

Hmm. I'd have to ask which perfume before making that decision.

Besides, I've found it's often the case that the perfume is being used to cover the BO. So I think I'd just rather opt out.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options

As much as I hate BO, it doesn't cause me pain, so I will take the BO over the perfume.

why don't people just shower regularly and use deodorant like the rest of us.
  • pondee629
    pondee629 Posts: 2,469 Member
    Options

Here is why I hate New Years resolutions. Why should I care about having a goal that starts on a specific day that only marks a new calendar year? Waiting until January 1st means protecting bad habits and lowering one's desire to actually work on their goals. If somebody wants to change bad enough or adopt a goal, they can do it on December 31, August 5, whatever the present day is. I am 100 percent into not ever adopting any new years resolutions. I'm not trying to sound like an arrogant and sanctimonious *kitten*. Some people can successfully complete their new years resolutions I feel they don't work for me and I feel that my reasoning for why they don't work is the reason why several people fail at it. It doesn't mean that I haven't tried and failed at New Years resolutions myself or even giving up on goals. I have tried and failed my fair share. But what works for me is working towards a goal when I get that goal. Having small and long term goals and letting New Years Day just be another normal day in goal setting, no different from any other arbitrary day. But more power to those that are helped by the New Years resolutions.

A couple quick edits:

Here is why I hate New Years resolutions. Why should I care about having a goal that starts on a specific day that only marks a new calendar year? Waiting until January 1st means protecting bad habits and lowering one's desire to actually work on their goals. If somebody wants to change bad enough or adopt a goal, they can do it on December 31, August 5, whatever the present day is. I am 100 percent into not ever adopting any new years resolutions. I'm not trying to sound like an arrogant and sanctimonious *kitten*. Some people can successfully complete their new years resolutions (but) I feel they don't work for me and I feel that my reasoning for why they don't work is the reason why several people fail at it. It doesn't mean that I haven't tried and failed at New Years resolutions myself or even giving up on goals. I have tried and failed my fair share. But what works for me is working towards a goal when I get that goal (work towards new goals). Having short and long term goals and letting New Years Day just be another normal day in goal setting, no different from any other arbitrary day (is what works best for me). But more power to those that are helped by the New Years resolutions.[/quote]

I started July 4th.
  • MonkeyMel21
    MonkeyMel21 Posts: 2,394 Member
    Options
    I don't care at all about them, or any new members at any time, except when it comes to the showers. There are only two showers in the ladies locker room and I already have to wake up extremely early to get in a work out before work starts. So when extra people randomly show up and wash their hair, shave their whole body, get undressed and then dressed all while in the shower, it can really throw off my routine. I either just skip the first week of January or go to the other, bigger, stinkier gym down town where there is a big communal shower if the stalls end up taken.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,982 Member
    Options

Absolutely.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    djames92 wrote: »
    i do hate Resolutionists! not because they are at the gym on the machines but because it pisses me off that they arent gonna stick to it ( sorry to any of you doing a resolution) but statistically they arent going to. if you were really going to get in shape why would you wait until new years to start? its just a month long thing for about 85% which is what annoys me

I wonder how many more newbies would stick to it if they received encouragement rather than scorn. One of things I love about the running community.....I've never met a runner yet that wasn't happy to see someone new make an effort (then again, we don't have to wait for someone to finish up on a piece of equipment....)

• Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »

Absolutely.

Yup, I'm in this camp. BO may be gross but perfume is painful. I really wish perfume would just stop being a thing at all.
  • mean_and_lean
    mean_and_lean Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    i do hate Resolutionists! not because they are at the gym on the machines but because it pisses me off that they arent gonna stick to it ( sorry to any of you doing a resolution) but statistically they arent going to. if you were really going to get in shape why would you wait until new years to start? its just a month long thing for about 85% which is what annoys me

So because you don't see them any longer at the time you usually go means they "gave up"? They could be going at a different time of the day. Sometimes I go early in the morning, like 4:30 a.m. Sometimes I'm there around 5:30/6:00. Other times I'm there mid to late afternoon.

And perhaps some people decide to get in shape at the new year because they see the new year as a new beginning. A time to set some new goals for themselves. A lot of people use the new year to reevaluate the one that has passed and set some new/different goals based on what they did or did not achieve the following year.

• piperdown44
    piperdown44 Posts: 958 Member
    Options

So because you don't see them any longer at the time you usually go means they "gave up"? They could be going at a different time of the day. Sometimes I go early in the morning, like 4:30 a.m. Sometimes I'm there around 5:30/6:00. Other times I'm there mid to late afternoon.

And perhaps some people decide to get in shape at the new year because they see the new year as a new beginning. A time to set some new goals for themselves. A lot of people use the new year to reevaluate the one that has passed and set some new/different goals based on what they did or did not achieve the following year.

I had to chuckle at this a bit.
    Mostly I lift at my company's gym but I also have a membership to a commercial gym but I'm rarely there.
    I'm sure some of the regular members at the commercial gym think I'm one of the "start and stop" types.
  • feisty_bucket
    feisty_bucket Posts: 1,047 Member
    Options
    JoRocka wrote: »
    2.) the perceived notion that "new years" is the right time to fix things. I hate that. I hate that with ALL things. If you want to make an effing change- do it when you realize you need a change. waiting is just an excuse and an indicator you aren't really ready. So I don't like a lot of them because to me it's a reflection of your self and how much you don't care to just make the changes- I just don't respect it.

Yeah, agreed. Making a fuss over a New Years Resolution is bad psychology. Self-assessment and correction should be frequent, the more often the better. "Know thyself," and all that.
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    Options

Or they realize spring break is in 2.5 months and they think they can get beach ready by then.
  • MelkaBielka
    MelkaBielka Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Robo_mooh wrote: »
    I'm pretty new to going to the gym, I started early December. Mostly I've been running on a treadmill doing c25k, going 3 times a week - It's cold outside at the minute, and I don't feel comfortable running outside.

Most people in my gym look at me like I shouldn't be there, I've got a bit of weight on me and I probably look like a resolutionist - I bought proper trainers to support my feet so I'm exercising in old tshirts and scabby jogging bottoms to save money.

I do carry a small towel, I try to have etiquette though I'm not sure what the etiquette is, and I work really hard! It would be nice to get told I'm doing OK! Yesterday at the gym someone smiled at me - that's the first positive interaction I've gotten. Be nice to the newbies, and tell them if they are doing OK / not OK and how they can get better - it might really help someone.

my sentiments exactly. The thing that changes those people from resolutionists to regulars might be the atmosphere itself, and if people aren't a little understanding that everyone starts somewhere, those people might be chased away from a great opportunity to take care of themselves.
  • snowflake930
    snowflake930 Posts: 2,188 Member
    Options
    Robo_mooh wrote: »
    I'm pretty new to going to the gym, I started early December. Mostly I've been running on a treadmill doing c25k, going 3 times a week - It's cold outside at the minute, and I don't feel comfortable running outside.

Most people in my gym look at me like I shouldn't be there, I've got a bit of weight on me and I probably look like a resolutionist - I bought proper trainers to support my feet so I'm exercising in old tshirts and scabby jogging bottoms to save money.

I do carry a small towel, I try to have etiquette though I'm not sure what the etiquette is, and I work really hard! It would be nice to get told I'm doing OK! Yesterday at the gym someone smiled at me - that's the first positive interaction I've gotten. Be nice to the newbies, and tell them if they are doing OK / not OK and how they can get better - it might really help someone.

my sentiments exactly. The thing that changes those people from resolutionists to regulars might be the atmosphere itself, and if people aren't a little understanding that everyone starts somewhere, those people might be chased away from a great opportunity to take care of themselves.

^^This is true. Most people are trying to become healthier. A little encouragement and acceptance may make all the difference for some people to keep persevering, and sticking with it or becoming discouraged and giving up. After all, most of us on MFP are here to become healthier and are looking for support from like minded people. Why should it be any different at the gym. No one came out of their mothers womb knowing everything.
  • blues4miles
    blues4miles Posts: 1,481 Member
    Options

I wonder how many more newbies would stick to it if they received encouragement rather than scorn. One of things I love about the running community.....I've never met a runner yet that wasn't happy to see someone new make an effort (then again, we don't have to wait for someone to finish up on a piece of equipment....)

This is why I run! No matter how tubby, slow or awkward I am, all the runners I've ever met or ran into (not literally) have been polite and encouraging, or maybe neutral/in their own heads at the worst. Only dealt with rudeness from cyclists and little kids. There is a gym on base I can use and want to so I can get more serious about my lifting (can only do dumbbells at home) but I'm nervous about figuring out where/how the plates get re-racked, silly stuff like that. Maybe someone who's used the gym for years this is all ordinary, but I'd hate to be one of those newbs people are frustrated with. It's not a commercial gym so there's no one to show me around.
  • time2cutnow
    Options

This is why I run! No matter how tubby, slow or awkward I am, all the runners I've ever met or ran into (not literally) have been polite and encouraging, or maybe neutral/in their own heads at the worst. Only dealt with rudeness from cyclists and little kids. There is a gym on base I can use and want to so I can get more serious about my lifting (can only do dumbbells at home) but I'm nervous about figuring out where/how the plates get re-racked, silly stuff like that. Maybe someone who's used the gym for years this is all ordinary, but I'd hate to be one of those newbs people are frustrated with. It's not a commercial gym so there's no one to show me around.

Just put the plates back from where you get them and wipe down the equipment when you're done.
  • myempire
    myempire Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I feel more sorry and concern for them as many come into the gym unprepared to maximize their time in a productive and beneficial manner.

When I see a anyone for the first time come in and preacher curl then head over confused to the elliptical, I just want to run up to them and give a big hug and scream "you need programming! Programming!!!!"
  • watchhillgirl
    watchhillgirl Posts: 597 Member
    Options

Nice idea, but who's definition of limited perfume do you go by? [/quote]

How about not marinating in it. If you leave the room and I can still smell you.....it is too much!
  • watchhillgirl
    watchhillgirl Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    I have been going to my work gym for years but mostly doing aerobic exercise and classes. They just started a new year new you program where I am learning about weight lifting and loving it. I was always a bit intimated by the weight room, would use the machines but didn't know proper form for free weights. Well I am learning and really enjoying it. I look like a newbie, but I am not or you could say I am...not sure. Yes I have been given some smirks but I will ask someone for help if I have a question and that seems to break the ice and people are more than happy to help.
    So newbies...ask for help most will be happy to help. And those that are regulars....some will stay and some will go..but those of us that stay..help us if you see us using bad form. We don't want to get hurt or do something wrong.