Pass the Butter..Please (I had NO idea!!!)

Options

Replies

• aross001
    aross001 Posts: 237
    Options
    love butter, hate margarine, but... http://www.snopes.com/food/warnings/butter.asp

love snopes.. good read!
  • coffee_rocks
    coffee_rocks Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    Post like it's 1999..which is when this originally came out as an email chain letter.

Good to see we are recycling in 2013!
  • MaerMollie
    MaerMollie Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I personally prefer butter to margarine.

Here's what the Mayo Clinic has to say about the topic:
    http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/butter-vs-margarine/AN00835
  • etoiles_argentees
    etoiles_argentees Posts: 2,827 Member
    Options
    lollllzzzz.....sorry
  • coffee_rocks
    coffee_rocks Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    New Zealand Heart Association. Them Kiwis are a smart bunch.

Myth busting: butter versus margarine

Replacing saturated fat with unsaturated fats helps reduce your risk of heart attack and stroke. One of the main ways to do this is replacing butter with margarine and healthy oils. However, there are a lot of myths about margarine that we frequently get asked about.
    Myth busting: butter versus margarine
    The myth: margarine is one molecule away from plastic

This claim has been circulating on the internet since at least 2003. Plastic is a polymer, made up of a long chain of repeated smaller molecules. Plastics are usually made from crude oil and natural gas, but can be made from natural materials such as wood, corn, plants, and even sugars. In fact, one of the earliest plastics made in the 1800’s was from milk. So whilst both plastic and margarine can be made from vegetable oil, that is where any similarity ends. The claim is nonsensical - adding one molecule to margarine won't turn it into plastic.

Even if it were true, it’s worth considering that one molecule can make a world of difference. Many natural substances are very similar in chemical composition but very different in appearance and effect. One molecule, and more importantly how the molecules are arranged, makes a huge difference to the end product. Take for example the difference between hydrogen peroxide (bleach) and water, which have only one atom difference.
    The myth: margarine was originally made to fatten up turkeys but instead it killed them

Not true! Margarine was originally developed in 1869 in response to a request by Napoleon III for a viable, low-cost substitute for butter. It was developed for humans, and not for turkeys. The first margarine was made by combining salty water, milk, and margaric acid to softened beef fat. Beef fat was subsequently replaced with vegetable oils.
    The myth: margarine increases risk of heart disease by 53% according to a recent Harvard Medical School study

This claim relates to a study conducted in the United States in the 1980s. At that time, margarines in the US contained up to 29% trans fat. We now know that trans fat has an adverse effect on cholesterol levels, even more so than saturated fat. So what this study was really observing was the effect of trans fat on heart health, rather than the effect of margarine itself.

Levels of trans fat in margarines in New Zealand have always been far lower than those in the United States, and changes in production methods mean most are under 2% trans fat. Margarine spreads carrying the Tick have been independently tested and contain less than 1% trans fat.

It is recommended that we get less than 1% of our energy from trans fats. The good news is that more than 85% of New Zealanders consume less than this amount. Trans fats are also found in processed, bakery, and fried foods, for example biscuits and cakes.
  • FluttershySweetie
    FluttershySweetie Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    I have just recently switched to butter... mostly because I am trying to go more natural... I am lactose intolerant (not severe) so I`ll see how it works for me!
    There are MANY foods out there that we all eat (except those who eat strictly raw) that are pretty much just as bad (boxed or canned foods). Anything that does not come directly from the soil is full of chemicals and has somehow been tampered by man. And even at that, theres so much pollution in our waters and soil that there`s chemicals in our naturally grown foods.

Unfortunately it is just getting worst not better with awareness.
  • LadyBeryl
    LadyBeryl Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    love butter, hate margarine, but... http://www.snopes.com/food/warnings/butter.asp

Gotta love Snopes. I don't understand how people don't check it before passing on stuff they receive on the 'net.
  • Jay_Jay_
    Jay_Jay_ Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    Yep, it's like the same people who stopped eating eggs in the morning because of cholesterol, and replaced them with donuts and bagels. Stick to the basics! There is a reason our last generation is living longer than this one. It's called steak, eggs, butter and cast iron. Your grandma's probably knew it very well.
  • Eve23
    Eve23 Posts: 2,352 Member
    Options
    Natural is always better in my belief. Margarine is disgusting
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    All that said, not all "margarine" is created equal. There are definitely some no-nos out there to be sure...but a tub "margarine' made from expeller pressed oils only (if it says anywhere that it has partially hydrogenated oils, you should pass) doesn't have the trans fats and is lower in saturated fats than butter. You just have to read the labels very carefully. Personally, I'd love real butter at home, but I have family with dairy alergies, so it's not much of an option. I primarily cook with olive oil and conola though, so it's no biggie really...but wife has to use it for baking and what not.
  • etoiles_argentees
    etoiles_argentees Posts: 2,827 Member
    Options
    cranky now....your post made Pass the Dutchie in my head. http://youtu.be/dFtLONl4cNc
  • road2goal
    road2goal Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I read the same info over the holidays and immediately gave up margarine. I had been meaning to for years and this was the thing to make the decision final.
  • flobeedoodle
    flobeedoodle Posts: 176 Member
    Options

I hate margarine, too but
    this!!

Not everything on the internet is true. If you do not have a reliable source for a piece of information found on the internet, it is probably better (both for your personal outcome and your likelihood of being correct,) to assume that the "information" is false.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    I thought this was going to be an explanation of the joke that led my wife and I to say that to each other sometimes.
  • JennetteMac
    JennetteMac Posts: 763 Member
    Options
    I don't use either... and when my son left the marg out the other day it had green stuff growing on it, so that bit must be untrue.
  • TrailRunner61
    TrailRunner61 Posts: 2,505 Member
    Options
    And sugar is one molecule away from being antifreeze....but I still eat it.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options

I hate margarine, too but
    this!!

Not everything on the internet is true. If you do not have a reliable source for a piece of information found on the internet, it is probably better (both for your personal outcome and your likelihood of being correct,) to assume that the "information" is false.

Sounds like good advice...

...but I'm going to need to see some cites to research supporting this.
  • errorika
    errorika Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    Pretty much everything is one molecule away from being anything else.
  • sunsnstatheart
    sunsnstatheart Posts: 2,544 Member
    Options
    TLDR. Did you say butter? Yes please.
  • SanteMulberry
    SanteMulberry Posts: 3,202 Member
    Options
    Pass The Butter ... Please.

This is interesting . .. .

Margarine was originally manufactured to fatten turkeys. When it killed the turkeys, the people who had put all the money into the research wanted a payback so they put their heads together to figure out what to do with this product to get their money back.

It was a white substance with no food appeal so they added the yellow colouring and sold it to people to use in place of butter. How do you like it? They have come out with some clever new flavourings....

DO YOU KNOW.. The difference between margarine and butter?

Read on to the end...gets very interesting!

Both have the same amount of calories.
    Butter is slightly higher in saturated fats at 8 grams; compared to 5 grams for margarine.

Eating margarine can increase heart disease in women by 53% over eating the same amount of butter, according to a recent Harvard Medical Study.

Eating butter increases the absorption of many other nutrients in other foods.
    Butter has many nutritional benefits where margarine has a few and only because they are added!

Butter tastes much better than margarine and it can enhance the flavours of other foods.

Butter has been around for centuries where margarine has been around for less than 100 years .

And now, for Margarine..

Very High in Trans fatty acids.

Triples risk of coronary heart disease ...

Increases total cholesterol and LDL (this is the bad cholesterol) and lowers HDL cholesterol, (the good cholesterol)

Increases the risk of cancers up to five times..

Lowers quality of breast milk

Decreases immune response.

Decreases insulin response.

And here's the most disturbing fact... HERE IS THE PART THAT IS VERY INTERESTING!

Margarine is but ONE MOLECULE away from being PLASTIC... and shares 27 ingredients with PAINT.

These facts alone were enough to have me avoiding margarine for life and anything else that is hydrogenated (this means hydrogen is added, changing the molecular structure of the substance).

Open a tub of margarine and leave it open in your garage or shaded area. Within a couple of days you will notice a couple of things:

* no flies, not even those pesky fruit flies will go near it (that should tell you something)

* it does not rot or smell differently because it has no nutritional value ; nothing will grow on it. Even those teeny weeny microorganisms will not a find a home to grow.

Why? Because it is nearly plastic . Would you melt your Tupperware and spread that on your toast?

AND butter is a good source of Vitamin A and Vitamin K2 (which we don't get enough of) and butyric acid (a potent inhibitor of bad stuff that could grow in your intestines--among other good things about butyric acid). They are just now studying the many health benefits of butter. Grass-fed cows have lots more alpha linoleic acid in their butter and that is good to spur weight loss. Organic butter is the best kind as it won't have any hormones or much if any pesticide residue. My great aunt ate lots of butter--slathered it on her rye toast in the morning and included it in her three poached eggs that she ate every morning (she never worried about "cholesterol". She loaded up potatoes and vegetables with it and was rail-thin all her life (but she never ate sweets or sugar--called it, "that sickening white powder"). She didn't get cancer and she didn't get heart disease until she was quite old (died at 92).