Raw vegetables and fruit have calories?

Options

Replies

• Troll
    Troll Posts: 922 Member
    Options
    I went over my caloric goal for the day but thought I was doing good eating raw vegetables and fruit. I thought that any calories that they had pretty much negates when you eat them. Where did I go wrong?

you went wrong by thinking fruits and veggies are zero calorie. a banana is 105. Apples are 90.
  • Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Options
    Are you a Weight Watchers defector, by any chance?
  • zaph0d
    zaph0d Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    I went over my caloric goal for the day but thought I was doing good eating raw vegetables and fruit. I thought that any calories that they had pretty much negates when you eat them. Where did I go wrong?

This part: I thought that any calories that they had pretty much negates when you eat them.
  • PeaceCorpsKat
    PeaceCorpsKat Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    Of course they have calories. But let's get real. No one is obese because they eat too much raw broccoli.
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    Food has calories. That's what makes it food.
  • TriShamelessly
    TriShamelessly Posts: 905 Member
    Options
    Minimal calories for the nutrients delivered to your body. You would be hard pressed to eat too many fruits and vegatables (unless you lathering them in butter or some other high calorie, low nutritional value item such as ranch dressing). Since I can't see your diary, I'm hard pressed to see how you could go wrong eating raw veggies and fruit.
  • AllTehBeers
    AllTehBeers Posts: 5,030 Member
    Options
    Is this even a serious question?

I'm assuming since the account was made like, today, it is a serious question.
  • cmcollins001
    cmcollins001 Posts: 3,472 Member
    Options
    They only have calories when you eat them. If you just leave them on your plate, the calories don't count.
  • Karlo_D
    Karlo_D Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Yes. Fruit and veg are easily digested though because when they are raw they have their digestive enzymes intact so they do wonders for your body. If you went over because of the amount of raw food you're eating then good job.

But I have to wonder, if you didn't know that fruit & veg had calories, are you eating them on a regular basis? Fresh food is not an option in my opinion if you want to be healthy.

Having natural "enzymes" in your diet show no significant benefits. Living things have enzymes, which are primarily proteins that facilitate chemical reactions. When you eat these proteins they are broken down and denatured and are no more beneficial than other proteins. "Raw" diets are mostly just quackery with claims by unqualified people.
  • michellekicks
    michellekicks Posts: 3,624 Member
    Options
    They have calories AND they're good for you pooper :bigsmile:
  • UpEarly
    UpEarly Posts: 2,555 Member
    Options
    I probably eat about 300-400 calories of raw fruits and vegetables each and every day. They totally have calories and they totally count.
  • Bobby__Clerici
    Bobby__Clerici Posts: 741 Member
    Options
    This whole notion is promoted by certain gurus who limit calories only for specific food groups.
    It's ABSURD!
    Just log in your food as per MFP recommendations.
    Simple...:flowerforyou:
  • DontStopB_Leakin
    DontStopB_Leakin Posts: 3,863 Member
    Options
    Thought the same thing.
  • sunsnstatheart
    sunsnstatheart Posts: 2,544 Member
    Options

Wait! Girls do this too!! Today has been quite the eye opener . . .
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    Thought the same thing.

Yeah same here. Food is food. To get energy you consume calories that you get from FOOD - that includes veggies and fruits. So yes...they have calories.
  • drmerc
    drmerc Posts: 2,603 Member
    Options
    if fruit and vegetables did not have calories our ancestors would have never survived
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options

Wait! Girls do this too!! Today has been quite the eye opener . . .

Well damn, now the secret is out...
  • melodychilders
    Options
    I have a hard time imagining the amount of fruit and vegetables you would need to eat to go over your goal. What else did you eat today? That's what made you go over.
  • Metspride129
    Metspride129 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    you burn more calories chewing and digesting celary, spinach leaves, and lettuce then you do consuming them....
  • hatethegame
    hatethegame Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    There's no calories in mustard