Hello from Uk

Options
Hi Guys,

Happy new year to you all! My goal is to loose around 2 and a half stone. I weigh 240lbs now and want to drop down to about 200. I'm 19 and 6ft 2. A keen rugby player but due to an injury i've been out for 8 months. I'm now back playing but wanting to get 1000 times fitter as i've let it slip. I went from 15 and half stone to around 17 and half stone. :( Not good...

I'm currently eating Porridge for breakfast and also rice & beans/beans on toast for lunch (while im in work)

Just hoping to get some confidence and advice from people across the network as this is something i'm going to do. Looking for any tips or tricks to get me going. I am quite a fussy eater which doesn't help but i'm open to try anything, if you have any recipes to share or exercise routines to share I would be soooo grateful.

Looking forward to speaking to you all.

Rhys :)

Replies

• SarrySunshine80
    SarrySunshine80 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Hey Rhys,

Well done for signing up! That's the first step. I started about this time last year and have been on and off with my commitment to logging stuff. It really does work though and it is such an interesting exercise in learning about portion control and not just calories but carbs/protein in food too. The most important thing is to be honest with yourself! Log it all - even the naughty junk food as that when you get the wake up call. On the flip side, make sure you log all your exercise. I have a heart rate monitor so it tells me the calories I've burnt. You get these back which is great! :)
    What makes this system work is that is isn't about 'dieting'. It's just a food diary which still lets YOU make all the decisions and like I said, it works. The weighing out of food becomes really easy after the first few times (invest in some electric kitchen scales!)

Best of luck for 2013!

S :)
  • elijah2965
    Options
    I eat rolled oates for brekky too and I stick to staying under calories for the day I have lost 13 kg since august so it can be done train hard heaps of cardio and if you feel like having too much food then work out how many calories you are over and work out a way to burn it of I use a heart rate monitor and bike and run plus strength training If your gym has spin classes I highly recommend them as a great way to lose weight Enjoy
  • rhysgerrard
    rhysgerrard Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the speedy replies all! :) Yeah well just looking at what i ate last month is just ridiculous! That really gave me a knock and now it's time for change.

Well planning on doing 45 mins of cario 3 times a week and then the odd game of rugby which is 80 mins of play. Just want to get fitter and loose my dreaded belly haha!

My worst thing though is food, I'm a terrible snacker. Just need something to fill me up and that's why i'm trying to eat a lot of rice/beans. I know it's simple but it seems to fill me up :)

Thanks for the advice guys.

Rhys
  • rhysgerrard
    Options
    Also, i'm looking to loose around 18 kgs in around 3-4 months. It's going to be hard work but worth it in the end. Do you think this is possible?
  • susannahsutton1
    Options
    Have cans of soup on hand. My husband lost a pile of weight by eating soup for lunch and afternoon snacks. Low calorie plus easy to track because you know exactly how much you are having. Shame he seems to have given me the excess weight...
  • AverageUkDude
    AverageUkDude Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    Hi Rhys, hope you've got some good weight training planned :) feel free to add if you want, used to play rugby during college and school, bit to old for it these days.
  • RosscoBoscko
    RosscoBoscko Posts: 632 Member
    Options
    Hi mate,

Am also keen rugby player, went from around 16 stone to 18.5 when injured my shoulder when I was 18, and have pretty much stayed that weight since (with a few temporary drops) until September last year. Am now down to 15.9 or was till Xmas, so will be back again. Feel free to add me if you want.

Have found good snacks are pittas/flatbreads/sandwich thins with tuna and low fat-greek yogurt (instead of mayo), or I also use Promax diet shake, both come out about 250 cals but are filling.

Good luck.

Cheers,

Ross
  • RosscoBoscko
    Options
    As for losing 18kg, I lost 16.5 between start of September and mid december so definitely doable, just got to commit to it properly, but see it as a life style change rather than a diet otherwise won't work long term.
  • goonas
    goonas Posts: 205
    Options
    Also, i'm looking to loose around 18 kgs in around 3-4 months. It's going to be hard work but worth it in the end. Do you think this is possible?

Yes - I've just done that - plus I started at a lower starting weight than you.
    Completely changed my lifestyle and eating habits and found an exercise I have fallen in love with (cycling)
    Add me if you wish
  • HelloDan
    HelloDan Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    Agree with the comments about weight training, and about being too old for rugby these days!

To be honest, I wouldn't worry about the weight so much, as composition and performance measurements. If you start packing on muscle, your rugby will most likely improve, but you may not lose as much weight.

On the topic of rugby, what position do you play?
  • rhysgerrard
    Options
    Hi mate,

Am also keen rugby player, went from around 16 stone to 18.5 when injured my shoulder when I was 18, and have pretty much stayed that weight since (with a few temporary drops) until September last year. Am now down to 15.9 or was till Xmas, so will be back again. Feel free to add me if you want.

Have found good snacks are pittas/flatbreads/sandwich thins with tuna and low fat-greek yogurt (instead of mayo), or I also use Promax diet shake, both come out about 250 cals but are filling.

Good luck.

Cheers,

Ross

@RosscoBoscko - Would you recommend going on Promax Diet Shake then?

My goal weight is around 15 and half stone. Trying to loose around 18kgs just so i can feel and look better. Feel massive standing next to my girlfriend!

Definitely going to stick to this, I'm motivating myself and not going to let it beat me :)

@GrahamHull - I've got a fitness plan lined up for me to shred. Trying to get in the routine of eating and also exercising 3 times a week, using an app called couch-to-5k on my iPhone. (Basically interval jogging for around 30 mins ) Then going to use my fitness plan.

@susannahsutto - I have soup on hand, the only problem is like bread with it haha :(

Many thanks for the support :)

Rhys
  • rhysgerrard
    Options
    Agree with the comments about weight training, and about being too old for rugby these days!

To be honest, I wouldn't worry about the weight so much, as composition and performance measurements. If you start packing on muscle, your rugby will most likely improve, but you may not lose as much weight.

On the topic of rugby, what position do you play?

I play open side flanker (forward). Not really looking to weight train at this minute, wanting to shred as much fat as possible. Then possibly build up my muscle from there.

Rhys
  • rhysgerrard
    Options
    I'm from Wrexham, North Wales by the way :)

Rhys
  • RosscoBoscko
    Options
    Too old at 26 and 30 come on lads, you got years yet!! One of the guys I know still plays at 54, admittedly he started as a winger and now plays prop but still incredibly fit really!! Only too old if you let yourself be. Am using this to rejuvinate my rugby playing, nearly played 200 games for my club but hope to get to at least 300 yet. Position wise am a prop by trade, hooker if forced, and have played all other positions in pack in emergency!!
  • rhysgerrard
    Options
    Would you recommend using promax diet then ?
  • Kagami_Taiga
    Kagami_Taiga Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    I've only got one thing to say, fresh turkey meat will be your new best friend
  • HelloDan
    HelloDan Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    Would you recommend using promax diet then ?

No - Maximuscle is outrageously overpriced!
    Ideally get your nutrients from real food as much as possible. Obviously supplementation does have a role though, however, if you want Maximuscle products cheaper, look at Maxiraw, it's there "no frills" brand, and if you're not bothered by fancy adverts and marketing, take a look at bulkpowders.co.uk or one of the equivalents, quality products, and good prices.

As for weight training, why not? It's not just about building muscle, but getting stronger and faster. In fact if you're eating at a deficit, you won't really gain much muscle, but you can still maintain and even gain strength.

@RosscoBoscko - Fitness isn't the issue, just have other things in life to do, and can't get away with getting smashed up like I could when I was younger. I made the switch to competing at weightlifting instead, and I'm enjoying myself doing that.
  • RosscoBoscko
    Options
    Has worked well for me, but only use the shakes, never got into using the bars. For a bit at beginning used it to replace both breakfast and lunch when did a short period at max 1000 cals to drop some weight quick, but doesnt work for everyone going that low and wouldnt recomment long term. Currently using shakes as breakfast replacement whilst get back on track after xmas, and having normal food as lunch and dinner.
  • RosscoBoscko
    Options
    HelloDan, thats fair enough. Choosing a different sport etc is a different matter, just couldnt be doing with the claim that too old!!!
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Not really looking to weight train at this minute, wanting to shred as much fat as possible. Then possibly build up my muscle from there.

this is a very common misconception.... you wont BUILD muscle as you are on a calorie deifict.

strength training burns fat... you want to get rid of the fat, lift things! HEAVY things!