Options
123457»

Replies

• janewilldoit
    Options
    MFP.....
  • rjunior56
    Options
    Forget the low carb, low fat, etc....they work by depriving your body of necessary nutrients and forcing it to consume itself (which is really what reducing your net calorie intake with a good diverse food selection does while giving your body its necessary vitamins and minerals)

The best "DIET" is not a diet at all....what's been working for me is to get a diverse mix of foods, but PLANNING AND ENTERING MY CALORIES IN ADVANCE....all that means is that I put in my calories before I eat (rather than after), which helps me control my portions. It also keeps me cognizant that if I want dessert or to treat myself to a night at my favorite restaurants, I have to plan in advance (i.e. exercise or eat light in preparation!!)...

The name of the game is really portion control and continuously monitoring...And if you happen to cheat or get off track, DON'T CRASH!!! Just get back to tracking your calories as though you never missed a beat....

Hope that helps someone out there!

PS I burned a little over 70 Lbs in 2012 with this philosophy...
  • BLT2023
    BLT2023 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    low carb was my best way also, lost 50 lbs until I started on carbs again, even healthy ones made me gain weight back, I was also on second shift at the time I would cook all morning, it was totally awesome
  • CM9178
    CM9178 Posts: 1,265 Member
    Options

??? I don't understand the difference.

The definition of a diet is "everything you eat".
    A diet plan is things like weight watchers, south beach diet, atkins etc.
    No, That's actually not correct -South Beach and Atkins are not the same kinds of "diets" or "diet plans" as Weight Watchers.
    Once you stop counting weight watchers points, you are still eating the way you should be - it is a permanent diet change. Atkins, for example, teaches you a trick to lose weight quickly, and when you stop following that plan, you gain it all back. Two totally different things.

Not really. Adkins is meant to be a lifelong diet, just like Weight Watchers. More people find WW sustainable long term, but that doesn't mean that Adkins can't be sustained long term. Don't mistake popular preference with possible.

Ever heard the saying "it's a poor workman who blames his tools". Likewise, it is unfair to blame a diet for failure when one chooses to stop the diet.
    Ok, let me put it this way - maybe you can intend to do Atkins for the rest of your life - but it is an extremely unhealthy way of eating, and as soon as you stop following that specific plan, you gain all of the weight back plus more - even if you aren't eating "bad" - because it is a specific plan that must be followed. It is also very unrealistic to plan to do Atkins for the rest of your life.

WW teaches you how to eat HEALTHY and properly - with a balanced diet - which is sustainable for the rest of your life. It might be referred to as a diet plan, but truthfully if you follow and understand it properly- you will realize that it isn't a diet plan at all.

Clearly you don't understand the Adkins diet.
    Clearly neither do you, since you've spelled it wrong 3 times now.
  • CM9178
    Options
    Ok, let me put it this way - maybe you can intend to do Atkins for the rest of your life - but it is an extremely unhealthy way of eating, and as soon as you stop following that specific plan, you gain all of the weight back plus more - even if you aren't eating "bad" - because it is a specific plan that must be followed. It is also very unrealistic to plan to do Atkins for the rest of your life.

I disagree. Although I am not doing the Atkins plan, my diet (in the sense of what I eat) revolves around high fats and low carbs. Why is this not healthy? Why is it not sustainable? Those questions might have different answers for me than for you, and that's okay. I truly believe that cutting out most of the processed crap and focusing more on meat and veggies has done wonders for my health. I've never felt better.

Anecdotal evidence at best, I understand that. However, there are plenty of people on my friends list who have sustained this way of eating for a while. They're pretty healthy folks! I do understand that we're not all the same and what works for me is not what will work for you. That's okay! But I wouldn't go around and label a higher carb macro diet as unhealthy. If it works for you, that's awesome!

Different strokes, different folks :)
    The Atkins diet encourages you to eat tons of high fat foods like pounds of bacon and eat NO carbs for a period of weeks or longer. That is extreme and unhealthy, and when you stop doing that, you gain the weight back.
    There is a different between following the strict Atkins dieting gimmick, and following a higher fat, lower carb diet that you may be doing.
    Personally - I'd prefer to follow a healthy balanced diet.
  • CM9178
    Options

No, That's actually not correct -South Beach and Atkins are not the same kinds of "diets" or "diet plans" as Weight Watchers.
    Once you stop counting weight watchers points, you are still eating the way you should be - it is a permanent diet change. Atkins, for example, teaches you a trick to lose weight quickly, and when you stop following that plan, you gain it all back. Two totally different things.

... The definition of diet (outside of Japan) is "what you eat." If you're eating low carb, that is part of your diet. If you're not, that is also your diet. It's just what you eat.

The term "diet" used to denote CHANGING eating habits is a separate definition.

Either way... how do South Beach or Atkins or even WW fall out of any of those definitions.

I can say I follow a "portion controlled, low fat, high fiber, balanced diet", or I can say I follow Weight Watchers - they are both the same thing.

People confuse the point counting as some other gimmick - it is just a different way of tracking your nutrients.
    If you learn how the points work - you can be eating the same diet that Weight Watchers encourages and not counting points.

Yes, so being on WW, whatever foods you eat, are part of your diet. I was pointing out your incorrect semantics. I could give a **** about WW.

Duh, whatever foods you eat make up your diet. Clearly, the OP was not asking us what foods we eat as part of our diet. They wanted to know what SPECIFIC diets or types of diets we follow, or have worked for us.
    If we took it as literally as you, we'd be listing the food we eat every day - since technically - that makes up our diet.
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    Basically..... eat less and move more.

I have not drastically changed what I eat, though I do try to make healthier choices most of the time. I will still occasionally have things that are not the healthier choices. But I eat less of it now and I exercise.
  • vmekash
    vmekash Posts: 422 Member
    Options

The eat whatever you want and stick to your calorie diet.

Beat me to it! This.

Simple and to the point. I agree!
  • vytamindi
    vytamindi Posts: 845 Member
    Options

I disagree. Although I am not doing the Atkins plan, my diet (in the sense of what I eat) revolves around high fats and low carbs. Why is this not healthy? Why is it not sustainable? Those questions might have different answers for me than for you, and that's okay. I truly believe that cutting out most of the processed crap and focusing more on meat and veggies has done wonders for my health. I've never felt better.

Anecdotal evidence at best, I understand that. However, there are plenty of people on my friends list who have sustained this way of eating for a while. They're pretty healthy folks! I do understand that we're not all the same and what works for me is not what will work for you. That's okay! But I wouldn't go around and label a higher carb macro diet as unhealthy. If it works for you, that's awesome!

Different strokes, different folks :)
    The Atkins diet encourages you to eat tons of high fat foods like pounds of bacon and eat NO carbs for a period of weeks or longer. That is extreme and unhealthy, and when you stop doing that, you gain the weight back.
    There is a different between following the strict Atkins dieting gimmick, and following a higher fat, lower carb diet that you may be doing.
    Personally - I'd prefer to follow a healthy balanced diet.

It was my understanding that the most carb restrictive phase (induction) allowed you 20g of NET carbs a day. That is hardly "no carb."

Also, fat is fat. What is the difference between me eating fatty meats and someone eating loads of bacon if it is the same amount macros wise? If it fits your macros, what you meet your macros with should be up to you.

And regarding the whole gaining weight thing back, you'll do that regardless of which dietary change you make. If you stop counting calories, counting points, logging foods, etc. you'll backslide. Low carb is no different.
  • supermoo2
    Options
    Forget the low carb, low fat, etc....they work by depriving your body of necessary nutrients and forcing it to consume itself (which is really what reducing your net calorie intake with a good diverse food selection does while giving your body its necessary vitamins and minerals)

The best "DIET" is not a diet at all....what's been working for me is to get a diverse mix of foods, but PLANNING AND ENTERING MY CALORIES IN ADVANCE....all that means is that I put in my calories before I eat (rather than after), which helps me control my portions. It also keeps me cognizant that if I want dessert or to treat myself to a night at my favorite restaurants, I have to plan in advance (i.e. exercise or eat light in preparation!!)...

The name of the game is really portion control and continuously monitoring...And if you happen to cheat or get off track, DON'T CRASH!!! Just get back to tracking your calories as though you never missed a beat....

Hope that helps someone out there!

PS I burned a little over 70 Lbs in 2012 with this philosophy...

Absolutely right!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • supermoo2
    Options
    Diets to me seem like short term solutions. I want to eat healthy and well for the rest of my life. my body, and mind, feels better when I fuel it with fresh vegetables, fruit and protein, rather than fast or fried food. So what worked for me was counting my calories on here and choosing healthier options that fill me up, so I don't feel hungry an hour later, or deprived.

So true
  • SadKitty27
    SadKitty27 Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    So far the low carb (20 carbs all coming from veggies) and high protein/fat diet has worked the best for me in terms of being able to actually stick to it.

I feel full all the time, and feel rather energetic. I don't miss bread, or other goodies at all. I think this might be the life style change I've been looking for.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options

Not really. Adkins is meant to be a lifelong diet, just like Weight Watchers. More people find WW sustainable long term, but that doesn't mean that Adkins can't be sustained long term. Don't mistake popular preference with possible.

Ever heard the saying "it's a poor workman who blames his tools". Likewise, it is unfair to blame a diet for failure when one chooses to stop the diet.

WW teaches you how to eat HEALTHY and properly - with a balanced diet - which is sustainable for the rest of your life. It might be referred to as a diet plan, but truthfully if you follow and understand it properly- you will realize that it isn't a diet plan at all.

Clearly you don't understand the Adkins diet.
    Clearly neither do you, since you've spelled it wrong 3 times now.

Wow, good argument. :huh:
  • bcattoes
    Options
    So far the low carb (20 carbs all coming from veggies) and high protein/fat diet has worked the best for me in terms of being able to actually stick to it.

I feel full all the time, and feel rather energetic. I don't miss bread, or other goodies at all. I think this might be the life style change I've been looking for.

Did you just start this in Dec 2012, or did you begin before joining MFP? Just curious how long you've been able to stick with it?
  • bcattoes
    Options

No, it's not unhealthy. I don't know where you got that information from. You're probably assuming that high dietary fat increases the risk of cardiovascular disease. Cardiovascular disease is being linked to inflation which is caused by simple sugars.

You said "WW teaches you to eat healthy" if someone was 800lbs and eating weight watches and someone else was at a healthy weight, who is healthier? Most health indicators are weight related, things such as cholesterol levels, blood pressure, triglycerides, risk for diabetes etc.. If you're over weight, get to a healthy weight and you'll be healthier.

This is not exactly correct either. "Healthy" and "risk of health problems" are two separate things. It's possible to be obese and healthy, but the risk of an obese person developing health problems is greater than a healthy person who is not obese.

And saying a diet high in dietary fat won't increase risk of cardiovascular disease is about as wrong as saying eating simple sugars will, since neither of things is usually eaten alone. Inflammation does increase risk, but sugar is not the only thing that causes inflammation. Overall diet and lifestyle must be looked at to calculate diet related disease risk.
  • bcattoes
    Options

No, it's not unhealthy. I don't know where you got that information from. You're probably assuming that high dietary fat increases the risk of cardiovascular disease. Cardiovascular disease is being linked to inflation which is caused by simple sugars.

You said "WW teaches you to eat healthy" if someone was 800lbs and eating weight watches and someone else was at a healthy weight, who is healthier? Most health indicators are weight related, things such as cholesterol levels, blood pressure, triglycerides, risk for diabetes etc.. If you're over weight, get to a healthy weight and you'll be healthier.

This is not exactly correct either. "Healthy" and "risk of health problems" are two separate things. It's possible to be obese and healthy, but the risk of an obese person developing health problems is greater than a healthy person who is not obese.

And saying a diet high in dietary fat won't increase risk of cardiovascular disease is about as wrong as saying eating simple sugars will, since neither of things is usually eaten alone. Inflammation does increase risk, but sugar is not the only thing that causes inflammation. Overall diet and lifestyle must be looked at to calculate diet related disease risk.

You're less healthy if you're prone to having health problems. Yes it's possible to be obese and healthy, it's also possible to be thin and unhealthy, think of cancer and aids. Just because it's possible, doesn't mean it is likely to happen under normal conditions. The more distance you are from disease the healthier you are, within reason. It's possible to go to far.

Read more carefully, I said to the person "you're probably ASSUMING" that fat can leads to cardiovascular disease. I never said it did.

I never suggested you said fat lead to cardiovascular disease.

But you seemed to have missed my point, which was that you seem to be confusing "healthy" with "odds of remaining healthy". They are not the same thing.