Hungry after eating, constantly hungry... Never satisfied!

Options

Replies

• hollyberry2012
    Options
    Are you an anxious person? Anxiety is relieved a little each time you eat because Serotonin is boosted in the brain. Perhaps you are self-medicating with food.

I was, and I went to the doctor and got medication for the anxiety and it was the weirdest thing after I started taking it. I felt really strong hunger pangs and said to myself....SO...lol...for the first time in my life that I can rememember, perhaps going back to five years old, I did not need food to cope.

Some people just simply have a medical issue that needs dealing with. Medicine wasn't a cure all...I still have to be careful of 'what' I eat, because the sugar/salt vicious cycle is easy to get back into. And of course, the ease of fast food both at home and at restaurants is a lazy habit to break and not an anxiety issue.
  • 1Clueless1
    Options
    2 things.

1. have your blood sugar checked.

2. Brush your teeth every hour or two. I heard that people hate to lose that fresh feeking in their mouth and will not eat or drink as much.

^^^This!! Brushing my teeth worked great and while you are at work if you find yourself with a lot of down time, find things to do to stay busier. I find I eat a lot more when I have nothing to do. Good luck. You'll get there!!
  • Miiimii
    Miiimii Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    If it's just a habit and no real hunger, I think you should give it try just to gie up that habit. Like giving up smoking it's not easy, because it's kind of an addiction and your body and mind is used to it. So I would suggest just to stop the snacking in between and go with a cold turkey. The first one or two week will be realy difficult, but than your body and mind will adjust and get used to it. Think about something you can do when the need for food in your mouth i overwhelming you - go for a walk (to the toilett), chat with you colleagues or with someone online, play a little game online, etc.

I wish you good luck.
  • NiSan12
    NiSan12 Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    If you are eating the right amounts of food and you have drank enough water, it may be time to work on your mental energy. You may need to talk to yourself, tell yourself that you may want food but you don't NEED any food and you'll have to wait until the next time to eat. You may want to take up a hobby or something to help with your cravings, remember it starts in the mind first. I have taken up making puzzles to help.
  • keta_gurl
    keta_gurl Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem. You are not alone. I drink a protein shake in the am with a cup of coffee in the blender, ice, smoothie mix and 1 cup of skim milk. It taste like a chocolate milk shake. It keeps me full. I also have a desk job so at 9 am I eat an apple and it is really filling bc at this point I have a sensation of fullness and my sweet craving is satisfied. We need to just break the additction and not eat until lunch time. In between this period load up with lemon water. It helps stabilize blood sugar, supresses hunger and cleans out the digestive system. I was reading some of the advice you have recieved and it seems that I will just break this habbit for 2 weeks and not give into temptation bc then soon the body will adjust just like as someone said,"Cigarettes are also an addiction that can be broken."
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    Up your fat and fiber and you won't be hungry after your meals.
  • mitch16
    mitch16 Posts: 2,113 Member
    Options
    I had that problem when I first started a desk job, too. I drink a lot of green tea, water, or black coffee to keep my mouth/hands busy. I do eat something every 2 hours or so (even if it's something like a piece of string cheese or a small handful of baby carrots), but I stay within my calories. I pack a known number of calories in my lunch bag, and purposely don't carry cash so I can avoid the cafeteria/vending machines. The upside of drinking so much is that I have to get up to use the restroom frequently (exercise!). If I really can't stand it, I try to go for a quick walk, whether it's to the mailroom, a restroom on another floor, to visit one of my clients--just to get away for a bit.
  • Sbehlmer
    Sbehlmer Posts: 464 Member
    Options
    http://pinterest.com/pin/260927372130273658/

It's a list of "craving this means you really need this" and tells you what to eat in its place.

Take a look at the list. Maybe if you pinpoint exactly what you are wanting/craving at a certain time you can fill those cravings with more calorie appropriate food. I used to binge eat right after my meals. I wasn't hungry but my mind though I was. So I would just eat because of boredom. Try eating the right foods that can curb your appetite.

Thank you for posting this!! :smile:
  • BeingAwesome247
    BeingAwesome247 Posts: 1,171 Member
    Options
    Wouldn't hurt to have your blood sugar tested

Also, do you take a multi vitamin? I know when I'm taking a multi vitamin I feel less hungry b/c well I wasn't hungry to begin with but lacking a specific nutrient.
  • neverstray
    neverstray Posts: 3,845 Member
    Options
    You taste pesticide on celery? Are you sure? That sounds cuckoo to me.
  • littlecrystal
    littlecrystal Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    Oh guys you are so supportive. My diary was done until August-September... (to my own disappointment). Thanks I will check out pinterest.
    Eating 5-6 times a day is a good idea.. in theory.. practically I could be eating every 10-20 mins.. Now I am thinking to cut all sugars so maybe it will help to break the habit.
    Oh and teeth brushing!
    Just please understand it does not matter what and how much I eat – could be a steak, egg and fish altogether – I would still want to eat/drink something afterwards - nothing is filling enough – I realize now as I am typing it must be purely emotional.

I do need to work with myself mentally, maybe to start from there, at the moment I just feel as a failure.. the whole 2012 passed losing and gaining again.. Not to mention I probably have have mild ADHD (get obsessed for a short period and then easily bored, lots of impulse decisions) and binge eating disorder… although I don’t like being labeled and still try to deny hoping that it is just one side of my character.

I will try and break the habit once again.. but I do not dare to promise this to myself.

Ah, re pesticide on celery – sometimes (not always) it tastes so horrible, especially the outer sticks in a bunch, that I thought it must be some chemicals (have no other idea).
  • I find myself going through the same thing but I yearn for carbs but i have since started bringing fruit, I also have been eating one cup of oatmeal this fills my belly until the next snack time ehich is usually a piece of fruit I also find myself being hungry more often now then in the past. I also try to eat more protein during the day hours to keep me going untll dinner, hope these ideas help and just so you know I think in the beginging it is normal to feel this way our bodies are used to just having something shoved inour mouths whenever it asked for it and if you are anything like me it is all the carby things you are craving . I was told this will go away I HOPE SO.
  • lauren3101
    lauren3101 Posts: 1,853 Member
    Options
    Are you physically hungry, or do you just want to pick?

If you are actually hungry, you need to determine if you are eating enough calories and also eat some protein. Protein is brilliant for filling you up.

If it's out of habit, then you and only you can break that. It will get easier with time. I don't think that drinking a lot of water is a bad thing, however.
  • ajs03
    ajs03 Posts: 32
    Options
    Get back to tracking and I think the suggestion of gum or sugar free hard candies or mints is a good idea to try. And be sure to reevaluate the things you are eating. Things that we think are "healthy" aren't always. Protien & fiber tend to keep us full longer. Best of luck!
  • garlic7girl
    garlic7girl Posts: 2,236 Member
    Options
    Do you eat filling foods like vegetables which you can have more of due to low in calories and fullof water and fiber? Fruits like apples? Whole grains which have more filling fiber? it also may be how you combine foods...a banana may leave you not feeling full but a banana with almonds will help.
    Lastly, could it be stress?
  • Kell_Smurthwaite
    Kell_Smurthwaite Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    Choose something healthy that takes a while to eat. Make a huge bag of carrot, cucumber and celery sticks and some homemade fresh salsa and you can safely snack on those all day if you want to without overloading on the calories. Make sure you're getting some proteins and, yes, some fats too, as they will make you feel fuller and satisfied for longer. Also make sure you regularly get up from your desk, even if it's just a five minute walk to the bathroom or to get a cup of tea or to take a message to a colleague in a different section - at least 5 minutes away from your desk every hour. And get out for a walk in your lunch time.

I find it helps not to take money with me to work. If I have no money, I can't spend it on food. I eat only what I take with me and I make sure I have a sufficiency that won't take me over my calorie allowance.

The rest is willpower. When you feel the pangs, ask yourself if you're really hungry or just plain bored. If it's the former, eat. If it's the latter ,find something to occupy you. Take up a new hobby - either a physical one or something that requires the use of your hands (if they're occupied, they can't be putting food in your mouth!). And each time you feel that pang, ask yourself, "Do I want to be slim and healthy? Or do I want to pig out? Which do I want more?" Look at the big picture.

I'm very similar to you - I eat when I'm bored, upset, tired, hungry, whatever - i just eat. I'm having to re-educate my body from scratch, but together we can do it! :)
  • susanswan
    susanswan Posts: 1,194 Member
    Options
    Review your diet choices and make sure they belong in a "healthy diet". Advice that helped me was 1 - only eat food with fiber. Meaning no refined grains. If you eat dry cereal make sure it has a high fiber count. If you eat bread, crackers, or tortillas, make sure whole grain is the first thing listed. If you eat rice make sure it is brown rice or wild rice, etc. 2 - eliminate sugar and white flour and refined grains and your cravings will go away within 2 weeks. That one was a life saver to me. In fact, I kind of went over the deep end with sugar at Christmas and I am having a devil of a time getting off of it again! It actually is scary what a hold it took of me because I let it!

You might want to consider setting limits with yourself. You must have one heck of a bladder! When you get to work pick one time in the morning before lunch and one time in the afternoon after lunch where you WILL NOT EAT. Start by making it maybe a 15 minute period if that seems reasonable and then stretch it out to 30 minutes. You really need to set some limits with yourself, as you would with a child. Eating is emotional sometimes and we need to remember this is a very emotional issue for many of us. You WILL be okay. Being hungry for a few minutes will not harm you. That was a very difficult lesson for me in the beginning, too. Over time you realize hunger is just hunger. You won't starve. one thing that helped me was www.fatloser.com. Steve Siebold is a motivational speaker. He offers a free (spam free) 21 day video program through email to motivate you to follow through on your particular eating plan. What he had to say really hit home for me.

Also about the "pesticide taste" on celery - I never cared for the outer parts of celery, either. I just assumed those were the greenest parts and therefore the taste was more intense. I'll bet the outer stalks of organic celery and regular celery taste the same - very strong. I'll have to notice next time, myself!

Changes take time. You need to find a way to succeed. Try everything you hear and see what works for you.
  • poptart1955
    Options
    I am struggling with the same thing. I am a stay at home mom and though I am cleaning and such but I am always hungry idk why either
  • melsy21
    melsy21 Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    All such relevant advice.. I'm bumping this to read when I feel the overwhelming urge to eat.. Which is a minute by minute struggle for me ????
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,191 Member
    Options
    Sounds like your hunger is mental rather than physical.