Tips on reducing wine consumption?

Options

Replies

• neverstray
    neverstray Posts: 3,845 Member
    Options
    they actually coined a term for this called drunkorexia (saving cals for alcohol), and at some point I am sure the advising doctors on the DSM will include it!

she wants advice on how to cut down, if she can't just cut it out...there is a problem, and potentially addiction. don't be so shocked!

This is just making assumptions and being ridiculous. I too enjoy wine and don't want to give it up, but I'm not an alcoholic. It's simply that, something I enjoy and don't want to give up. I'm guessing you don't drink and so it's easy for you to just make a blind judgement.

This is what I used to say too.
  • bcf7683
    bcf7683 Posts: 1,653 Member
    Options
    i was always more of a whiskey drinker. but, i just go to the gym bright and early. keeps me from drinking all night knowing i gotta hit it hard in the morning. hungover deadlifts ain't fun at 430

Truth. Just about threw up on the gym floor after some squats because I thought I could make it through a workout hungover. Last time I tried that one.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    surely (unless you're an alcoholic) the answer to drinking less wine is to just drink less wine. have water. or a nice cup of tea (i'm english).
    Just like losing weight. And we all know how easy that is.:smile:
  • Vansy
    Vansy Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    You don't need to give it up...just eat less food during the day, and save those calories for a glass or two of wine at night. Nothing wrong with that.
  • WrenStory
    WrenStory Posts: 103
    Options
    Hi All,
    Just joined, lost weight on every diet going and am now heaviest ever! I love wine and have got into the habit of drinking every night, any tips on cutting this out, cold turkey or cutting down. I don't go overboard but know it is not a great thing for my diet! Been down recently as husband lost job which is probably why I have got into this habit instead of the healthy ones! Jo

This is really a matter of why... for what reason are you wanting to cut down? If you have a drinking problem, the reasons are quite clear. If it's simply a matter of calorie reduction... well, then the answer is also clear. But it wouldn't be necessary to cut it out altogether if that's the case... just cut back.

From the tone of your post, specifically the last sentence... I'm intuiting that you might ought to consider if there is a drinking problem going on. Drinking because you are down never helps, as alcohol itself is a depressant. I'm a former problem drinker, I know this all too well.

PM if you'd like to discuss methods I've used.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options
    Check out AA...it's not a 'diet' problem.
    So over indulging = addiction?

And that means....
  • Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options
    I think that it helps to buy a wine box rather than bottles, so that you don't feel obliged to finish off a bottle before it goes "off".

unless you actually like good wine
  • havingitall
    havingitall Posts: 3,728 Member
    Options
    I love wine too. Unfortunately, it isn't good to drink every night. I have cut it out unless there is a social occaision with friends. I found I could open a bottle and polish it off no problem.

Instead, I will put bubbly water in a wine glass and drink that or have some herbal tea. Both are good substitutions and you don't feel fuzzy the next morning.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options
    If you are drinking every day and you mention you are drinking when you feel down in your original post then the only approach is to recognise this is not a habit, but an addiction.

The AA comments are not funny - but they may be what the OP needs to hear. First thing to do is speak to your doctor to see what help there is to manage the addiction. All best.
    You do diagnoses on the internet? Impressive!
  • susankaney
    susankaney Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Hi,
    I too enjoy having wine in the evenings. When I'm dieting (and I'm at my heaviest as well) I add the calories in to my day's count before the evening ever gets here. It means actual less food you eat, but that is what I choose. Different wines have different calorie counts, so choose a wine that is lower in calories to begin with. Measure carefully, and when you take a sip of your wine, put the glass down. If you continue to hold the glass in your hand you will drink it faster. Putting the glass down after every sip ensures you can enjoy the glass and it will last longer. I usually have two glasses (5 oz each) myself, and still manage to lose weight on my diet.
  • JustJennie1
    JustJennie1 Posts: 3,843 Member
    Options
    I think that it helps to buy a wine box rather than bottles, so that you don't feel obliged to finish off a bottle before it goes "off".

They have a device that lets you seal the bottle up if you don't finish it. We have one and it works great.
  • emtjmac
    emtjmac Posts: 1,320 Member
    Options
    What the hell kind of wine are you people drinking that you think it's ok to mix it with seltzer or diet soda? Did someone suggest wine in a box!? Is there no one who actually appreciates wine?!
  • 5pmsomewherenow
    5pmsomewherenow Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    I had the same challenge, in that I LOVE wine, and was pretty much mindlessly consuming at least half a bottle each night. 3 to 4 5-6oz servings without evening batting an eye-lash, or even getting a buzz. I realized it was just my habit, and it was just part of the relaxation routine while preparing dinner, eating dinner, watching tv afterwards... you know how it is, I'm sure.

I had to face the reality that in order to get my body healthy and fit, I'd need to kick this drinking habit for good. At mid-forties, I have to stop lying to myself that 15-20 ouces of wine per day is contributing to a healthy lifestyle -- NOT. All medical research supports that for a woman, the only healthy appropriation of liquor is about 1oz per day, and for wine -- about 5oz per day.

Personally, I decided to cut it out on a daily basis, and just enjoy about two glasses per week, on the weekends as my "extra" calories. I measure out those glasses to 5oz. and stick to it. I find I only drink a GREAT ($$) red now, with a steak, lamb, or rich red pasta dish, and I savor it.

So what's my hint for during the week? I drink a combination of Lipton Diet Green Tea with Citrus (zero cals) and Polar Diet Green Tea Gingerale IN A WINE GLASS. The color is just like white wine, and I sip it just like a wino. I have two glasses of that lovely conncoction, and sip away just like my old habit, and no one else knows any different. I also bring this drinkie with me to house parties, and do the same. I get the same reinforcement of the habit of drinking and socializing without the calories or alcohol.

I've never slept so good, once I got healthy and kicked the nightly alcohol. I also stopped snoring. Hubbie like that. :drinker:
    Good Luck -- You'll find what works best for you!
  • jolaurenjewell
    Options
    I have the same issue, and have found that I can usually make some type of low cal alcohol free "special drink" (one of the new carbonated, flavored waters), put it in a really nice crystal highball glass EVERY OTHER NIGHT....I know its silly to think that I am fooling myself, but it seems to work for me. Knowing that the next night is my wine night just seems to be the amount of discipline that I have. Buy little wines in 4 packs, so you are not tempted to finish off a bottle.

Just started seriously on this AP
  • jolaurenjewell
    Options
    Please just focus on all the great tips you have gotten, and just disregard all the idiots...they have something out there that they struggle with, I guarantee. Obviously, you are VERY normal with enjoying wine. Good Luck!
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    If wine makes you happy, drink some of it. Just make sure it fits into your calories and you aren't starving yourself just to have that wine. I saw a suggestion to mix it with soda water which could be good unless you're a purist. Also, why not drink it every other day, or drink half of what you normally drink?
  • Vansy
    Vansy Posts: 419 Member
    Options

They have a device that lets you seal the bottle up if you don't finish it. We have one and it works great.

A Houdini works wonders on keeping a bottle of wine fresh. ;-)
  • kevin3344
    kevin3344 Posts: 702 Member
    Options
    This thread could be titled "tips on reducing <cheesecake> consumption" or any other thing that we love to eat/drink. The formula is the same: eat less or move more.

My friends and I drink all the time...heck I started a group here in Raleigh, NC called "Triangle Happy Hour" (the Triangle is the 3 cities of Durham, Raleigh, Chapel Hill) and we go out at least once a week, sometimes two. We're always having drinks/food/wine. We've probably been to every 5 star restaurant in a 30 mile radius. It's fun :)

But we also work hard. Most of my friends and I have run a marathon or half-marathon this year...or two. We do circuit training, the Warrior Dash, TRX, etc. If you want to enjoy the good life (wine goes great with a good steak btw), you have to amp up your exercise. No other way around it. Don't blame it on the wine. Move more. As I read once "someone busier than you is running right now".
  • Vailara
    Vailara Posts: 2,454 Member
    Options

What device do you use? I haven't found they work very well.

Some of the boxed wine is quite drinkable (I'm not a connoisseur) for "everyday" drinking and cooking. But if you can afford "good" wine and don't mind pouring it down the sink (I suppose if you could freeze it and use it in cooking) then go for it! I felt, personally, that knowing the wine was going to waste made me more likely to drink it. So if I was trying to cut down, I wouldn't buy bottles.
  • hollyNhollywood
    hollyNhollywood Posts: 426 Member
    Options

What device do you use? I haven't found they work very well.

Some of the boxed wine is quite drinkable (I'm not a connoisseur) for "everyday" drinking and cooking. But if you can afford "good" wine and don't mind pouring it down the sink (I suppose if you could freeze it and use it in cooking) then go for it! I felt, personally, that knowing the wine was going to waste made me more likely to drink it. So if I was trying to cut down, I wouldn't buy bottles.

I definitely appreciate wine. But that said, I don't feel that just because its expensive, it makes it good. Heck, "two buck chuck" from Trader Joe's is quite nice. :drinker:
    As I mentioned in the thread earlier, I keep my wine consumption to one 6 oz glass (usually). And I only have it 2-4 x's a month. So when I have it at home, a bottle does go to waste as I can't finish it before it goes bad (how long does it last w/ a stopper anyway? I give it the good ol' '3 day rule') So I have bought the little 4 packs of mini wine bottles. One bottle I believe is 2 - 6 oz glasses. So I can finish that smaller bottle before it goes 'bad'. Of course the wines that offer these smaller bottles is limited.