When to eat question

Options
2»

Replies

• fitnesspirateninja
    fitnesspirateninja Posts: 667 Member
    Options
    My short answer is that I eat when I am hungry.

My longer answer is that I eat three medium meals and three snacks throughout the day. My diary, which I haven't been using lately, reflects this. I have it set up like this:

Breakfast

Morning Snack

Lunch

Afternoon Snack

Dinner

Evening Snack

If I am hungry and it's later in the evening I'll eat something. It took some time for me to learn the difference between actual hunger and emotional or boredom eating. I am in a place now where I rarely feel the need to eat because I don't feel well or because I'm bored. I listen to my body when it tells me I need to eat.

That being said, I think everyone is different and you should do what works for you as long as it is within reason.
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    You do not need to worry about "burning off your meals" to prevent acute fat storage.
    You can literally eat your food in one big meal before bed and (performance and stomach discomfort aside) you'll still lose weight provided that total intake leaves you in a caloric deficit.

Fat storage goes up after a meal and fat oxidation stops. In between meals, fat oxidation goes up and fat storage goes down.

All that matters is that fat oxidation exceeds fat storage. In an energy deficit this will happen whether you eat a huge breakfast and a small dinner, or whether you skip breakfast and lunch and eat your late night dinner in bed.