Cheat days

Options

Replies

• Mcgrawhaha
    Mcgrawhaha Posts: 1,596 Member
    Options
    i could never stay on track, without my 2 cheat days per month!!! any other time that i tried to lose my weight, i gave up after a month or two, because i was trying to be too strict, now, i have 2 weeks to work hard, and my reward to myself after each 2 weeks, is a day of whatever it is im craving... ive been working hard since september and already lost over 40 pounds! without cheat days, i would have gave up along time ago!
  • Derpes
    Derpes Posts: 2,033 Member
    Options
    Would you recommend a cheat day once a week-with/without exercise on that day or would it just jeopardise weight loss?

Cheat but log it anyway - this way you can keep track of trends and determine if it is an impediment to progress.

It is okay to eat bad things - just set limits.
  • Mcgrawhaha
    Mcgrawhaha Posts: 1,596 Member
    Options
    Would you recommend a cheat day once a week-with/without exercise on that day or would it just jeopardise weight loss?

Cheat but log it anyway - this way you can keep track of trends and determine if it is an impediment to progress.

It is okay to eat bad things - just set limits.

yes, log it! this past saturday was my cheat day, and i logged everything... it was pretty bad friends... but you know what, i got my cravings out of my system, and im right back on track...
  • wildfirediva
    Options
    I allow myself more carbs on the weekends (usually Friday evening thru Saturday), but I still count my calories (as in try not to go above my TDEE).
  • gotogirl81
    gotogirl81 Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    If I don't go over my calorie and goal/fat/carbs I feel as though I'm not " cheating" and I eat sensibly daily.
    If I have the calories for a treat/something higher in calories then I will fit it into the rest of my day.
    I try not to ever go in the red. It's only happened very few times since I started continuously tracking.

If there is a day coming up like a big holiday/party i guess that will be my day to indulge a bit.
    But overall I don't do cheat days.
  • TheUnwritten
    TheUnwritten Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    I have a cheat day once a week. Which is also date night with the lady. I dont count the cals. I eat and enjoy! One day a week wont hurt you're progress. It hasn't hurt mine but everyone is different. This is just my take on it. What I do. =D
  • demilade
    demilade Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    I eat what I want, when I want. I just had a mini flake, it fits in my calories so I can have it. If it doesnt fit dont eat it, or do some extra exercise to make it fit. Cheet days put it into your head that what your doing is bad, then you feel guilty. I dont feel guilty at all about my chocolate.
  • beccyclark
    Options
    You have been a great inspiration to me and I would like to take the opportunity to thank you for all your help and knowledge
  • Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options
    You have been a great inspiration to me and I would like to take the opportunity to thank you for all your help and knowledge

thanks
  • cleomouri
    cleomouri Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    The ladies at my TOPS group are fond of saying to do your best as much as possible, but everyone makes a trip and stumble along the way and eat something they probably could have made a better choice about. The important thing is to log it, move on, and try to make better choices in the future.

So, a meal where you aren't as concerned about what it is your eating occasionally I think is ok. I tend to think of it as a splurge or a reward for making healthy options most of the time. Plus it gets that "Oh but I really really want X" out of my system for a while and helps me prevent binges.
  • Brittany3914
    Brittany3914 Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    I can't explain how much I hate the words cheat days and cheat meals. Who are you cheating? What rule are you breaking? Why cheat at all?

I prefer the words moderation. Lifestyle. Healthy. Eat what you want. Have cheese. Eat pizza. Enjoy red wine. Just do everything in moderation. It's more important (and sustaining) to learn when enough is enough.
  • Rachlmale
    Rachlmale Posts: 640 Member
    Options
    I don't do cheat days but I will have a meal or treat I have been craving once in a while to keep me on track. There is nothing worse than when a craving hits and won't go away!
  • EmilyOfTheSun
    EmilyOfTheSun Posts: 1,548 Member
    Options
    maybe just do a "cheat meal" but not a whole day.
  • DeMayr
    DeMayr Posts: 67
    Options

Before I chime in, what have you decided to do regarding a "cheat day".
  • mlclarke22
    mlclarke22 Posts: 551 Member
    Options
    i do a cheat meal not a cheat day...dont want to ruin all my progress....I also still workout this day usually...but i do agree u need a rest day as well!
  • Lisah8969
    Lisah8969 Posts: 1,247 Member
    Options
    To each their own...for myself I don't have any cheat days-if I want something, I make it work and fit into my calories for the day, if it doesn't I won't have it or I'll work my day around it the next day. When I met with my personal trainer they told me to have a cheat day once a week, I decided not to do it cause then it makes me think of this as a diet and it's not

This exactly! If you are "cheating" on something, you will think of it as something temporary that you will someday be done with. This is my new lifestyle. I don't deprive myself. If I want something, I eat it. I do everything to make it fit though.

I just had someone ask me the other day how I was losing weight. I said eating better and exercising more. Really??? Then she asked what I gave up and I said nothing. People don't believe it is truly that simple.
  • Valera0466
    Valera0466 Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    I have Free Fridays. I have a doughnut for breakfast and usually go out to eat in the evening. I still log but that's about it. I have found that for the most part I still make good choices on that day as I have just become accustomed to eating healthy. If I do decide to have a Cheeseburger i don't beat myself up. This is no excuse to overeat. It's just the ability to enjoy something that might normally make me feel a bit guilty. You should still practice portion control. Enjoy your chips but don't eat the whole bag.
  • jctillman70
    Options
    I am not big on cheat days because it makes it feel like I am denying myself something that I may want. For my own piece of mind I do have a higher calorie day (which is usually Saturday) where I allow myself to eat more calories. I like having limits for myself. I can eat a little more but I give myself a limit so I don't binge.

My normal calorie intake is between 1450 to 1660 (looking for net of 1370) depending on how I work out. My higher calories day is 1800 to 2000 depending on how much I work out (looking for net of 1660).

I think you got to do what works for you. Good luck.
  • Sweet_Pea0107
    Options
    I have cheat weekends. I mean I don't eat overly horrible but I eat way above maintenance it hasn't affected me in the least. So I train hard and eat clean all week then weekends I eat what I want =)

I do this!! I don't count my calories on the weekend.....but that is also when I do my long runs and mountain bike rides, so I think I end up burning more calories than I eat. Besides, the weekends are my time for craft beer! I have lost 25 pounds since July, so it's working for me!

I do cheat weekends too! I have since I started losing. I work two very physical jobs during the week and I eat smaller meals and less calories so on the weekend I eat what I want. It hasn't affected my weightloss in any negative way. It has actually helped me stick to my plan and I have now been maintaining for a year.
  • jesz124
    jesz124 Posts: 1,004 Member
    Options

only if you are a cheater

I am a big fat cheater.