Liquid Diets.... Am I doing it wrong?

Options

Replies

• yo_andi
    yo_andi Posts: 2,178 Member
    Options
    Hello, everybody!

Im Ariana, and I started my liquid diet today... Im not sure if I'm doing everything right, but Im gonna try it out for about 3 or 4 days and see how my body reacts to it.

Im planning on drinking juice (sugar free), coffee (using water), tea, and water, and maybe vitamin water... But the most important thing is that I dont touch any chocolate, sweets, or any of that stuff. Im also thinking of eating a light breakfast each morning to start my system.... Any advice, guys?

Love, Ariana

Eat at a moderate deficit. Exercise. Make sure what you eat is wholesome and filling. See the weight come off.

(Also, "starting your system" is kind of a silly concept. Your body works all of the time. It's not like turning a key in a car's ignition).

Be kind to your body and yourself and for Pete's sake, don't do a liquid diet. It won't work.
  • Goosiesnougs
    Options
    My advice is not to do it
  • downsizinghoss
    downsizinghoss Posts: 1,035 Member
    Options
    only liquid diet that ever worked for me was in college when I had to choose between beer and food.
  • lacurandera1
    lacurandera1 Posts: 8,083 Member
    Options
    Liquid Diets.... Am I doing it wrong?

Yes.
  • BACONJOKESRSOFUNNY
    BACONJOKESRSOFUNNY Posts: 666 Member
    Options
    liquid diet = malnutrition & liquid poo

SOUNDS AWESOME!
  • kickers19
    kickers19 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    My advice. EAT! Fad diets don't work.
  • bookworm_847
    bookworm_847 Posts: 1,903 Member
    Options
    I actually asked my doctor about doing a liquid diet and/or a cleanse last year and she said "Don't do it!" She said that those are fads and are no way to maintain a healthy weight and healthy lifestyle. She said that if I really felt I needed to do something like that, just take a weekend when I don't have to be anywhere or do anything and just drink a lot of juice and stuff with vitamins. She said that it would be better to not even do it because it's not good for me and I won't see the results I think I'll see from listening to the chatter about the trendy diets.
  • Jacwhite22
    Jacwhite22 Posts: 7,012 Member
    Options
    My advice.....stay away from crap like liquid diets.
  • hopsonc24
    hopsonc24 Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    Step away from the liquid! Dont walk, run!!
    You HAVE to think about this as a lifestyle change, not a quick fix! trust me I have tried every "diet" under the sun including every magic pill. The one that worked for me was the lifestyle change!! If you can not stick with your current way of eating (liquid diet) for the rest of your life, its not the right choice for you. This is a slow journey.

Eat healthy and clean. Cut out the proccessed crap, choose whole foods (foods that came from a mother or came from the ground...grown not found :laugh: )

Adapt exercise into your daily routine and drink lots of water!!!
  • laserturkey
    laserturkey Posts: 1,680 Member
    Options
    That diet sounds EXACTLY like the instructions they give for colonoscopy prep. Frankly, that's the ONLY time I would restrict my diet in that manner-- in preparation for a medical procedure, as directed by a doctor.
  • T1mH
    T1mH Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    Any advice, guys?
    Don't do it.

Your profile says you want to be a healthy model for your children. What do you think would happen if they follow you on this?
  • lovechicagobears
    lovechicagobears Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    You won't get any nutrients that way. People who are on doctor-supervised liquid diets (usually those who've just had weight loss surgery) drink shakes and/or eat broth that have nutrients in them. Coffee, tea, and water isn't going to give your body what it needs, and you're going to be jacked up on caffeine. Your body is going to be really, really upset with you for making it work like that without feeding it.

Please do not do this. There are many of us on this site who've lost anywhere from 10 to 200 pounds by watching what we eat and not falling victim to fads that don't work. You may lose some weight this week, but it will come back the second you eat a bowl of soup or some bread. You can also do permanent damage to your organs, depending on how long you do it.
  • algebravoodoo
    algebravoodoo Posts: 776 Member
    Options
    Full liquid diets really do need some sort of medical support, either a doctor or a nutritionist.
    I was on a medically supervised full liquid diet for six months and semi-solids for another three. My reasons had nothing specifically to do with weight loss, but that was a nice side effect :smile: That was six months of broths, protien shakes, and liquid supplements and check-ups with blood work. It took almost another full six months after all that to essentially learn how to eat solid foods again without it causing extreme pain and running through my system as if I were the proverbial goose.

My point here is to say that if you are just deadset on going liquid, do it sensibly. Consult a physician.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    This is from your profile statement...

"Hey Everyone!! I am Ariana, and I really want to lose 47 lbs. I look good but the problem is that deep inside of my heart I know I am not healthy!! So I want to basically be a fit and healthy person."

Malnourishment isn't the way to achieve your goals of being a fit and healthy person.
  • ArianaLuvsMe101
    Options
    A liquid diet consisting of only juice, coffee/tea and water? My advice. Don't do it. Not that way anyway. Liquid diets are usually reserved for super morbidly obese patients under a doctor's care and they're high protein diets.

You'll likely be tired, faint, cranky, irritable, etc...

Stick with the tired and true - watch what you eat and exercise. Eat clean, prep your own meals and enjoy the food you're eating. Nothing is worse than trying to lose weight and being miserable.

ETA: When I read your post I just wanted to give you a hug. I went through that same "quick/fad/fast diet mentality" early in my life and it got me nowhere. Well...it got me to over 350lbs.

:-D Thanks!!
  • ArianaLuvsMe101
    Options
    Besides what everybody else has said, what do you make coffee with, if not with water?

Milk coffee :)
  • Francesca3162
    Francesca3162 Posts: 520 Member
    Options
    You say in your profile that you want to be healthy.
    Liquid diets are not healthy.... DIETS are not healthy.
    Changing the way you think about what you put in your body is the only real measure of success.

See a nutritionist and counselor to identlfy your food/diet issues, and be HEALTHY about it!
  • LokiOfAsgard
    LokiOfAsgard Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    My advice would be to not do any kind of liquid diet. It takes a lot of energy out of you and if you do it wrong it can cause a lot of problems.
    Plus, once you start eating again, you'll gain, and more than likely you'll want to go back to liquids. It can be a bad cycle.
    It sounds like a good idea, I know, I was thinking about doing the same thing.

What you do is, cut out pop, cut down junk food (don't deprive yourself, but don't over indulge) and cut down red meat.

If you're really determined to do a liquid diet, talk to your doctor, get an approved diet from them and ONLY do it if they say it's okay. Don't go back and forth, you'll just yo-yo your weight,
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,472 Member
    Options
    sigh,,,,, i thought you meant booze..........
  • ArianaLuvsMe101
    Options
    Thanks everyone! :) I know what I need to do now!