Exercising on a full or empty stomach?

Options

Replies

• mikejamesjhm
    Options
    Exercises can be performed with empty stomach if at all some one is interested to loose weight as they say that the stored energy is utilized while working out but there is a risk of developing cramps if you work out with a full stomach.
  • 714rah714
    714rah714 Posts: 759 Member
    Options
    Do whats best for you.
  • shellyk972
    shellyk972 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I agree with the others that say do what works for you. I personally cannot eat up to 3 hours before strenuous exercise (ie. spinning, plyometrics), I'll vomit. I will, however, usually eat a serving of a clif shot blok before exercising because I'm trying to eat something every 3-4 hours.. that doesn't bother my stomach.
  • wellbert
    wellbert Posts: 3,924 Member
    Options
    Lifting fasted is my favorite.
  • alpine1994
    alpine1994 Posts: 1,915 Member
    Options
    I try to eat a snack about 2 hours before working out. Something around 200 cals like a greek yogurt and berries or a luna bar. I have found that if I'm too hungry I don't have much energy to power myself through the workout, and if I'm too full I get nauseous and crampy. Do what works for you :)
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    I have to have a light snack before a workout or I feel like crap. I cannot workout on a full stomach, though, or I feel like puking. So, the answer to your question (for me) is neither full nor empty.
  • Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options
    if you have excess body fat (99.99 % of us here probably do to some extent)

then training/working out in a fasted state (empty stomach) CAN be beneficial for fat burning...that's the theory anyway

as suggested....see leangains.com for the science

as far as Jillian Michaels...her DVD's are good for beginners to working out...but her science for nutrition is questionable

good luck
  • OspreyVista
    OspreyVista Posts: 464 Member
    Options
    I think it's up to each individual person. I can usually exercise before breakfast no problem. However, if I eat something, I have to wait an hour after eating or my stomach hurts during the exercise.
  • whitneyps7
    whitneyps7 Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    it depends on the peson...for me i dnt like to work out on an empty bstomach or a full one i like being in between. some ppl i know like to on an empty stomach and most ppl do get cramps if they work out on a full stomach your more likely to get sick from being so full and moving so much. so everyones different figure out what works best for you.
  • meghan6867
    meghan6867 Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    Eat something if it's going to be a good workout. I always thought I felt better on an empty stomach and then I started really pushing myself at the gym...

Fainting is embarrassing. Don't let it happen to you. Eat. :happy:
  • Athijade
    Athijade Posts: 3,280 Member
    Options
    I eat a little something before I workout otherwise I feel HORRID about half way through. It's usually something light though such as a banana, a protein drink, or some oatmeal with berries. Nothing too heavy. I had to find a balance.
  • Bobby__Clerici
    Bobby__Clerici Posts: 741 Member
    Options
    Both...I enjoy doing HIIT in a fasted state while resistance and cardio a few hours after a balanced meal.
    It's an old bro-science conclusion that HIIT in a fasted state burns more calories from fat.
    Who knows?
    I seem to get those results.
    Just try for yourself, and decide if what's right for you.
    Good Luck :flowerforyou:
  • nturner612
    nturner612 Posts: 710 Member
    Options
    my personal experience has been this: splurge a few calories on a filling snack BEFORE you work out (banana, pretzels wahtever just not like a hamburger)...becuase if u work out on an emtpy stomach 9 out of ten times u will come out of there and tear up everything in site(if you are at the right place at the right time). True story. Happened to me yesturday matter of fact and i ate back just bout ALL of my exercise cals back :(
  • VanessaGS
    VanessaGS Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    Eat a little before you work out so you have energy and eat some more afterwards to replenish. Sounds like a plan to me.
  • Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options
    my personal experience has been this: splurge a few calories on a filling snack BEFORE you work out (banana, pretzels wahtever just not like a hamburger)...becuase if u work out on an emtpy stomach 9 out of ten times u will come out of there and tear up everything in site(if you are at the right place at the right time). True story. Happened to me yesturday matter of fact and i ate back just bout ALL of my exercise cals back :(

actually there is a theory that exercise increases endorphins which decrease feelings of hunger

it works for me

maybe not for evferyone
  • Kelly_Runs_NC
    Kelly_Runs_NC Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    I'm no expert, but I've heard that you should have a light snack around 30 minutes before you work out.

^ this - I eat half a power bar (90 calories roughly for the half) before I work out...about 20-30 mins before. I NEVER have indigestion. Thats if you eat like 200 - 300 calories before I think.
  • lisaeshenour724
    lisaeshenour724 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I get up and go running first thing in the morning, so I don't have time to let food digest. My body does really well with running on an empty stomach until I get to 5-6 miles or more. For those days, I will eat a banana before. When I'm doing really long distances, I will do Gu or Shot Blocks during. I really do think it's all about what works for you.
  • nashsheri33
    nashsheri33 Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    i like your profile pic!

to answer your question: it depends on your body's reaction to eating before a workout. for me, eating a full meal before a workout = feeling sluggish at best and barfy at worst. eating nothing = no energy and poor performance.
    i'm diabetic, so what works for me might not be what works for you.
    usually i eat something small for breakfast (a good-quality granola-type bar or 1/2 cup oatmeal with 2 tsp. almond butter and an 8oz glass of soy milk or almond milk) and by the time i get to the workout 30 minutes later, it's just enough to tide me over until halfway through, then i might have a little fruit and a low fat cheese stick, then finish up. by the time i get home and get cleaned up and maybe take care of an errand, it's time for lunch.
    so basically, i eat 2 small breakfasts instead of one big breakfast and that works for me.
    just use your common sense and listen to your body. try it both ways and see how you feel during your workout, and after your workout.
    if you eat nothing, will you be so hungry after your workout that you binge on whatever food is handy? then it would be counterproductive.
    keep up the good work!
  • krissenior
    krissenior Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I only ever eat 1 and a half hours to 2 hours before working out then by the time i have finished my work out it is time to eat again in my 5 meal 3 hour cycle
  • AllisonEBrown
    Options
    In my experience playing various sports, everything from field events in track to rugby to swimming, I have found that a slice of toast or a banana an hour before help provide that extra boost of energy without making me feel nauseated. And also always follow the workout by drinking a cup of chocolate milk within 30 minutes of completing said workout.