How do you guys keep yourself from eating junk food????

Options

Replies

• onyxgirl17
    onyxgirl17 Posts: 1,721 Member
    Options
    I usually don't carry the stuff I really like in the house...
  • SusanMarie7777
    SusanMarie7777 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I allow myself to have a snack size candy bar everyday. I do not go over my calorie goal at all and I do not feel cheated. This helps me stay on a healthy diet. A small amount of something you crave will not make you fat or unhealthy! If you're the type that can not stop once you start eating junk, perhaps it would be better not to start at all. We all have our vices and should respect other people's needs.I also have a can of diet coke every day. True, there is nothing healthy in this brown water but I like it. If this can help me from eating enormous amounts of junk, it's my business and should be respected.. No preaching please. There are days that I eat no junk food! Yeah!:bigsmile:
  • BobSassafrass
    BobSassafrass Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I usually don't carry the stuff I really like in the house...

Exactly! I constantly crave junk food, Jalapeno Cheetos are my kryptonite, and I do indulge but most of the time I can't because I don't have it.
  • Firefox7275
    Firefox7275 Posts: 2,040 Member
    Options
    I've tried for so long that I finally just quit trying because it didn't work staying away from it

there was a time when I would not eat fast food or buy anything outside
    but my parents (even though I told them I did not want to be fat anymore) keep buying me junk food and I eat it because I can't stop thinking about junk food so I get cravings all day
    even if I stuff myself with fruits and veggies, those cravings of junk food are still there and I give in

it's hard!! >.< I weigh 160 now :(
    I used to be 140, I wanted to be 130 or 120-something but instead of losing 10 pounds I gained twenty!!
    anyone in similar situation????

Broken record technique/ much firmer attitude with your parents - don't tell them you don't want to be fat, that is like pointing out they are fat. Not many people respond well to dieters, they respond better to NO or find some health stuff there is no argument to. If they still buy it throw it away immediately, give it away immediately, give it back immediately. Be consistent, don't sometimes accept and sometimes reject, don't keep changing up what you say or do. They are unlikely to keep buying crap for you if it goes in the refuse every single time that is money wasting madness.

Secondly fruit and veg alone is not going to stop your craving for junk food. Fill up on that until you are stuffed to the gills, but also eat protein and healthy fats with every meal and snack. Find recipes for healthier alternatives to some of your favourite junk foods. Any carbs you eat make them very low glycaemic index and moderate serving size, you want to keep your blood sugar stable not spiking and dipping. You might be best avoiding wheat and white potatoes, these can behave much like sugar in the body.
  • HurricaneElaine
    HurricaneElaine Posts: 984 Member
    Options
    I don't - if I want it, I eat it - just not a lot of it. :wink:
  • Nancy_hc
    Nancy_hc Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    I LOG it! Knowledge is power. Trust me, once you start seeing how easy it all adds up you'll slowly start gravitating towards to food that look better on your tracker. MFP is awesome for self-identifying! :o)
  • tobnrn
    tobnrn Posts: 477 Member
    Options
    I eat homemade cheesecake, ice cream every day and even toss in a cocoa swiss roll cake for most of my carbs. I don't give up anything and I'm doing a cut.

Luv this. I had cheesecake for breakfast. I just make it fit.
  • carrietehbear
    carrietehbear Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    I allow some junk food in my diet. I just always make sure it fits into my calorie allotment. I also made a rule that I could only buy organic junk food because it is more expensive. This ensures that I will make it last longer
  • Tw1zzler
    Tw1zzler Posts: 583
    Options
    I log everything and follow the 80/20 rule.. 80% healthy/ 20% whatever I want. If I have a cheat meal I'll make it up by eating less that day or the next day. Honestly, I usually prefer healthy food over junk food. (steak, sweet potatoes, greens) Junk food is just not that satisfying.
  • calleyfornia316
    Options
    I heard something that helps me, "You can't out exercise unhealthy eating" and also "if you're not willing to eat healthy, you're not really hungry you're just craving"
    I say those things to myself a lot. I also keep a goal picture as the background of my phone as a constant reminder to eat for the body I want!
    Good luck!!!
  • karint74
    karint74 Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    Former 1/2 pound-a-day candy eater here. At first it was *really* hard to break that habit. I feel ya! First order of business: Know your trigger foods, and *never* bring them into the house. For me, it's economy-sized bags of mini-Reese's. I made a rule for myself: Cheap bagged candy (or insert your trigger food here) is on the no-fly list until I reach my goal. It's not forever. Now I've reached my goal, and am I buying cheap chocolate? No. Who knew that would happen?

That said, I have no intention of living a life without chocolate and sweets every day. I allow myself one high-fiber sweet as an afternoon snack (Fiber One peanut butter granola bar or VitaBrownie. Each of these has 7-9 grams of fiber, keeping me satisfied for 2 hours. Plus, the gastrointestinal consequences of eating more than, say 2, in a day act as a built-in disincentive to binge.:embarassed:

My Rule #2: Don't ever eat your favorite junk food alone/in the middle of the day/mindlessly. You won't even register the pleasure of eating it if you eat it while reading/on the computer, etc. Instead, I only eat it with or after a meal, in the company of at least one other person. You will eat a lot less of it in someone else's presence, and you'll be too full from the other food in the meal to overdo it. Plus, no blood sugar spike and crash because you already have real food in your system. And you'll enjoy it 5 times more because you're fully conscious of the pleasure of every bite. You'll need far less to feel like you've had enough! I always treat alcohol this way, and have never had problems or issues with alcohol.

ETA: My "junk foods" covered under Rule #2 have included: Lindt truffle balls, organic dark chocolate, homemade cookies, premium ice cream (1/3 cup), tortilla chips, and popcorn cooked on the stove top with oil.
  • pkw58
    pkw58 Posts: 2,039 Member
    Options
    I just decided finally none of that stuff was worth a decrease in my life enjoyment. Pretty easy if you decide that your health is more important that the profits of the junk food companies. Ok, not easy, but it's all about mind over mater. Go cold turkey for one week. Try it.
  • Jayneopopsidoodle
    Jayneopopsidoodle Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    I limit myself to a treat before bed and then go to sleep or I know id consume the entire cupboard. Its hard but maybe look at somebefore and after pics of other people posted in the forums as theyre always inspirationalxx
  • amyjensenstrehlow
    Options
    I don't buy it. but if it is in the house and i start thinking about junk food while sitting on the couch I will go do an exercise tape or treadmill for even 20 min and that usually helps be cuz i don't want to waist my exercising.
  • MaraDiaz
    MaraDiaz Posts: 4,604 Member
    Options
    I stay in ketosis and that helps curb my appetite.

Then I put everything with lots of carbs and sugar on my "That isn't real food, dummy!" list and stick to it.

If I fail to stick to it I get so miserable fighting cravings all the time that it teaches me to try harder next time.

Unfortunately moderation simply does not work for me, so finally I had to give up and completely abstain.
  • concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Options
    Are they buying the junk food for you or for themselves? If it is for themselves, dedicate a shelf to your healthy alternatives.

If they are buying it for you, you really need to have a talk with them. They are sabotaging you because they think this stuff will make their baby happy, but you need to let them know that you will be happier if you are healthier. Follow through. If they bring you something, throw it straight in the trash. You don't have to throw a tantrum, just say, this doesn't fit with my plans for being healthier and toss it. If they are drama queens, they may go on about how you don't love them if you won't accept what they bring you. Look at you watch and exclaim - oh! It is time for my workout! It may be necessary to take up running.
  • Nancy_hc
    Nancy_hc Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    I log everything and follow the 80/20 rule.. 80% healthy/ 20% whatever I want. If I have a cheat meal I'll make it up by eating less that day or the next day.

This!
  • sarahisme18
    sarahisme18 Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    Get more protein. I've found that once I upped my protein to 30-40%, I stopped having as many cravings/binges. Fruits and veggies are great, but they are actually mostly complex carbs, except for some veggies like mushrooms that actually have a good protein content. Fill up on eggs, greek yogurt, lean protein like fish, chicken, tofu, etc. That will help!

But you don't have to deprive yourself, and a little sweet or indulgent each day can also be helpful. I can relate to the feelings of just craving it and not being able to stop, though, so I get you. Once you resist the first time, it will get easier to change your habits and cravings. So take that first step!
  • NaurielR
    NaurielR Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    I understand your pain. You can become a mindless zombie when you know there's some tasty junk in the house. What helps me cope is a simple strategy that I read about in an article. Instead of telling yourself "no, I can't have that" or "no, I won't have that", say "I chose not to have that". The former statements are giving food the power over you. I may sound like a quack here, but by saying you willfully chose not to eat something, you're giving yourself power over your cravings. Just by saying the phrase mentally, I've managed to deal with many many cravings. It's not a 100% sure way to cope, but it actually does help. So the next time you're staring down that plate of brownies, take a deep breath, collect yourself, and say "I chose not to eat that"

Something we that may help is to ask your parents, if they absolutely *must* buy junk, that they buy single serving containers. That way, if you're tempted by chips 1) there's no open bag to increase your temptation. 2) if you do decide to indulge, a single serving bag will take away the urge to "eat just one more chip because how could one chip hurt?"

To be honest, the cravings never go away. Anyone who says they do is either lying or really really lucky. However, *you* will get stronger if you just keep at it. Your will power will increase as you exercise it.
  • rcaton3
    rcaton3 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Give it to a food bank.