Crock pot tips and recipes

Options

Replies

• vg8pr0
    vg8pr0 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Hungry Girl made a recipe (on the Cooking Channel) for macaroni and turkey and cheese that looked incredible. Only 200 calories! you can look it up on the web.
  • lmkaks
    lmkaks Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    Two Ingredient Crock Pot Meals (Taken from Can You Stay For Dinner http://www.canyoustayfordinner.com/2012/08/19/two-ingredient-slow-cooker-meals/)

"You can combine any meat (chicken, beef, pork) with any pre-made bottled sauce (marinades, salsa, marinara, you name it), and set it to cook on low for 8 to 10 hours, and what you will be left with is nothing short of marvelous.

Just two ingredients. One of which you didn’t even make yourself.

Chicken and salsa? It works. Pork and honey barbecue sauce? It works. Ground beef and marinara? Don’t make me say it again.

Use enough sauce to cover the meat (about 1.5 to 2 cups) and let the mix slowly cook all day long. The finished product will be not only infused with the flavor of the sauce (a reason to use only sauces you love!), but it will be so tender it falls apart upon fork contact."
  • gyure93
    Options
    Some great sites for crockpot recipes are:

skinnytaste.com
    skinnymom.com
    skinnykitchen.com
    slenderkitchen.com
    skinnyms.com
    recipegirl.com

These are just a few to mention. I use my crockpot at least 4 days a week....LOVE, LOVE, LOVE it!!!
  • 1zaBanda
    Options
    Anyone have a sort of "paleo diet" food plan?
  • gowitdaflo
    Options
    I just put in a box of chicken stock, 1 cup of red lentils, onions, garam masala, curry and turned it on for 6 hours. Good soup, I don't eat much salt, so you may want to add a little for taste
  • asmallermeplz
    asmallermeplz Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    bump :flowerforyou:
  • KatNShape
    Options
    bump
  • CynthiaDia
    Options
    Bump! =)
  • Chapnau
    Chapnau Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Bookmarking.

Other than chili (meat or veg versions), the crock pot recipes I've used in the recent past are pretty high cal (think chicken, a brick of cream cheese & chipotles in adobo sauce) or use beef/ pork. If I can find some good chicken recipies tonight, I'll come back & post them.
  • ajh2011
    ajh2011 Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    bump
  • bluelena
    bluelena Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    My cousin fed this to us when we were up in Virginia visiting her. I've made it several times and my mom made it at our Christmas party and for my grandparents. I ran this through the recipe thing on here, and it comes out to 265 calories a serving if there are 6 servings (which is approx a bowlful). The only person who doesn't like it is my sister, and that's because she doesn't like black beans.

Cream Cheese Chicken Chili

2-4 chicken breasts (I usually use 3 fresh, but can also be frozen)
    1 can corn, undrained
    1 can Rotel, undrained (I use Rotel diced tomatoes with green chiles)
    1 can black beans, drained & rinsed
    1 pkg ranch dressing mix
    1 tsp cumin
    1 tbsp chili powder
    1 tsp onion powder
    1 8 oz package cream cheese

Lay chicken at the bottom of the crock pot. Drain and rinse black beans. Add black beans, corn, and Rotel on top. Add in spices and mix up. Lay cream cheese on top of it all and cover. Cook on low 6-8 hours. The cream cheese won't melt during the cooking process. When it's done, mix the cream cheese in and shred the chicken (which is super easy at this point).

This all fits in my super tiny crock pot very nicely. I like to eat it by scooping it with blue corn tortilla chips! I have been considering adding in cayenne pepper to make it a bit spicier. It is very much on the mild side of my scale.

OMG that sounds good. I may make it this weekend!
  • SchuppGreenie
    Options
    Hi..This sounds so good! Did you cook turkey and rice first? Or just put in rice, stuff peppers with cooked meat and then pour over sauce?
  • amoore1216
    amoore1216 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    bump
  • cbuggin22
    cbuggin22 Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    bump
  • flowergirl2009
    Options
    My favorite is my stuffed peppers:

1 lb of lean ground turkey
    5-6 green/red peppers
    1 cup of white/brown rice
    1/2 cup of bread crumbs
    Spices to taste (salt, pepper, oregano, etc)
    2 yellow onions
    1 big can of V8

Now cut up 3 of the peppers, and 1 onion and throw them in the bottom of the pot

Clean out the rest of the peppers and put them to the side

mix the turkey, cut up onion, par cooked (about halfway) rice, breadcrumbs, and seasoning

stuff the peppers!--if you don't have enough just make giant meat balls

Place the cut up peppers/onions in the bottom of the pot, stack the stuffed peppers in it, and pour the V8 in.

Add water to cover the top of the food.

Cook for 6-8 hours.

Cut the recipe down to work for you--It usually serves my family of 4 for two meals, the info for one serving (1/8):

Calories: 172.5
    Fat: Just over 1 gram
    Carbs: 21.8
    Protein: 18.25
  • iamkarent
    iamkarent Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    so many yummy ideas!
  • beachvoliball
    beachvoliball Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    These are some great crock pot ideas!
  • jrhstarlight
    jrhstarlight Posts: 867 Member
    Options
    bump
  • RubySinclair
    RubySinclair Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    i love all these recipes!! So many great ideas!
  • Cassierocksalot
    Cassierocksalot Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    I have this going at home right now! Can't wait to eat it:

Chile Verde Soup
    Ingredients:
    • 
2 lbs* boneless pork loin roast, lean, all fat trimmed off, cut into 2 inch pieces
    • salt and pepper to taste (I just put a little pepper, we don't add salt to anything)
    • 2 tbsp unbleached all-purpose flour
    • 
3/4 cup diced onion
    • 2 cans (4.25 oz each) whole green chiles, sliced into thick rounds
    • 2 tbsp chopped jalapeño, or more to taste

• 10 oz can diced tomatoes and green chilies (Ro*Tel Mild)

• 1/2 cup fat-free low-sodium chicken broth
    • 
1 tbsp cumin
    • 1/2 tsp garlic powder

• salt and fresh ground black pepper, to taste

Throw it all in the crock pot.
    Cook on LOW for 8 hours or HIGH for 4 hours (if using a Dutch oven, cook on low heat for 3-4 hours). When done, adjust season, salt and pepper to taste if needed.
    Servings: 6 • Serving Size: little over 3/4 cup •
    Calories: 253 • Fat: 9 g • Carbs: 5.5 g • Fiber: 0.5 g • Protein: 33 g • Sugar: 1.5 g
    Sodium: 836 mg (without salt)