Did anyone NOT have a weight problem as a child?

Options

Replies

• DuhhMuffin
    Options
    I've been overweight since I was 10, probably. Granted, it was never by much. When I was 14 I slimmed down and was normal until about 12th grade. Again, I wasn't that bad until a year ago.
  • kasmusic3PA
    kasmusic3PA Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I had a weight problem from childhood. I was always the tallest and heaviest girl in my classes. I tried dieting and would lose weight and then something always happened that I gained back the weight and then some. I'm currently 58 and I had the gastric bypass on September 11, 2012 because I needed the help with my weight loss. I struggled all my life and after my son and daughter was born I really gained the weight and with added stress I hit my highest weight of 339 in. May 2012. I lost 40 pounds before my surgery and 47 pounds since my surgery and I'm only 3 1/2 months out of surgery. I feel fabulous and am very excited about my new lifestyle. Good luck with your weight loss and if you need more support please add my as your friend.
    best of luck and you can do this I know it
    Kathy
  • Missjulesdid
    Missjulesdid Posts: 1,444 Member
    Options
    Wow, wrong thread for me.. I was placed on my first diet at age 6 and was 200 pounds before reaching high school.
  • jennaworksout
    jennaworksout Posts: 1,739 Member
    Options
    nope, i was not over weight until I hit my early 20's
  • Sleepynita
    Options
    Skinny kid, body and bad habits hit the fan when I returned to school at 23.
  • lisadiane41
    Options
    I never had a weight problem until I had my second child. But I lost the weight a year later. My ex-husband made me believe I was fat but I was not. I had only gained like 45 pounds when I was pregnant with my second child. I am now only 137, which I think is ok. I would like to be more toned and probably lose like 5 more pounds. I am 5"7 so I believe that is an ok weight.
  • TighteningStrings
    Options
    Nope, I was thin all the way up until about 3 months before I got pregnant with my first son at 18. Somehow I managed to put on about 20kgs in 3 months (I think because I stopped school, which removed a lot of my activity, and was boredom eating, but it's still a lot of weight in a short time!). I only put on 10kgs while pregnant, but didn't lose it, or the 25. I began putting on more weight when I started taking hormones to get pregnant with my second son, and was stress eating with our wedding planning etc. I went on bedrest while pregnant with him and gained another 20-30kgs. I've yo-yoed since and ended up at my high of 148kgs last year.
  • clarkeje1
    clarkeje1 Posts: 1,636 Member
    Options
    I never had a weight problem until around 23, I'm 25 now. I was always the skinny one out of my friends and ate whatever I wanted (typically junk food, fast food) ate as much as I wanted and NEVER exercised! Gained weight slowly through college and at 23/24 I was 180. Now I'm 156 and working to 130. Its been quite a journey learning how to eat properly and working out but I'm glad I'm doing this now while I'm still fairly young and can get good habits established. My family never said anything to me about my weight, my friends said that I didn't look "fat" just a little different lol. Then when I made my weight loss journey public my friends and family were very supportive "you look great!" and "I made this low calorie something-or-other because I know you are trying to be healthy!"
  • lwagnitz
    lwagnitz Posts: 1,321 Member
    Options
    No, I didn't. According to my family I had a 6 pack when I was little. I wasn't really skinny, though. I always had hips boobs and a butt since puberty, and I think people saw it as fat, but I wasn't, I was just pretty muscular. I remember one of my friends in high school running up to me and punching my leg and she was in shock at how hard my thigh was. She said it actually hurt her. My mom called me a rabbit because I was constantly eating fruits and vegetables. I would turn down a cookie if I wasn't hungry (which according to my mom usual doesn't happen with kids...if there's a cookie they'll take it). I was in sports all of my life. I didn't start having weight problems until I became depressed, got a bad injury, and was stressed from a lot of stuff going on at home. :/
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,669 Member
    Options
    I was a rail till I was 19 and purposely packed on the poundage.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • just4nessa
    just4nessa Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    I didn't have a weight problem until I was in my teens; as I matured I realized my mother's attempts to demoralize me were driven by her jealousy and resentment. I've struggled on and off with my weight but have come to accept that her opinions do not define my self-worth. I continue to exceed my own expectations and accept that I will never have her support. My weight does not define me or my success in life, and my happiness is not dictated by a number. I am healthier for having lost weight but I do not let yesterday's demons define my today.

ETA: spelling bee champs can't let some things go. :)
  • Fat_Cat_Bride
    Fat_Cat_Bride Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I was always very skinny for my entire childhood, as well as throughout my teenage years.

I got pregnant at 21 and packed on the weight (about 75lbs) and within 5 months of giving birth found myself pregnant again and so it all went downhill from there.

Not only did my weight change after children but my body shape in general and my metabolism, it all went south, so now I'm trying to turn that around.
  • gingerveg
    gingerveg Posts: 748 Member
    Options
    I've never technically been overweight in my life-ever. Not everyone on here starts "overweight". Personally, I was able to get a hold of my weight before it got out of hand. There are many of us who are just looking to lose a few pounds and/or get healthier. :flowerforyou:
  • mfpcopine
    mfpcopine Posts: 3,093 Member
    Options
    I didn't have a weight problem, nor did anyone in my family. One of my siblings was husky, but not really overweight. As the years have passed everyone has gotten overweight or obese except me, and in my case the pounds still have crept up.

I think the main reason many people who were thin in their youth gain weight is a failure to adapt their changing metabolisms and activity levels. If you're no longer in your 20s or even youthful 40s and playing sports every weekend, you can't eat the same way. Many people are in denial.
  • mfpcopine
    mfpcopine Posts: 3,093 Member
    Options
    I've never technically been overweight in my life-ever. Not everyone on here starts "overweight". Personally, I was able to get a hold of my weight before it got out of hand. There are many of us who are just looking to lose a few pounds and/or get healthier. :flowerforyou:

I'm the same way. Somehow, folks like us never get as much credit or sympathy as people who completely let themselves go. :smile: But as you no doubt know, it takes a lot of discipline to get a grip on this when people around you (some of whom are overweight and obese) act as if you're being alarmist or vain.
  • gingerveg
    gingerveg Posts: 748 Member
    Options

I'm the same way. Somehow, folks like us never get as much credit or sympathy as people who completely let themselves go. :smile: But as you no doubt know, it takes a lot of discipline to get a grip on this when people around you (some of whom are overweight and obese) act as if you're being alarmist or vain.
    Yup.^ At first I didn't understand this but I think I do now. I'm sure people think I'm crazy for caring about a few pounds or how a dress fits. But for me that behavior/way of thinking has kept me thin my whole life. I like to keep things in check and like you say it takes a tremendous amount of consideration none less than those who tend to gain and lose large amounts.
  • underthecherrytree
    underthecherrytree Posts: 532 Member
    Options
    Me! As a kid and teenager I was very thin and fit.
  • CherokeeTopaz
    CherokeeTopaz Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    I didn't have a weight problem til I had kids. lol
  • supplemama
    supplemama Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options
    I was not a fat child, not a fat teenager, and not a fat young adult. I didn't get fat until after my 3rd baby, and then lost the baby weight within a year or so. Unfortunately I started putting on a lot of weight once I turned 30, and really started packing it on age 35, peaking at age 38. Stayed at my highest weight of 238 until I was almost 40.

It just hit me that I spent my entire 30s overweight *cries*
  • shelliehooper
    Options
    I was always too thin (that was what my parents and grandparents always said). Even after having 3 kids my weight wasn't bad. I am 5' 4" and after 3rd child weighed 150. I didn't really start packing on the weight until after I had my 4th child and quit smoking. Now after 7 kids and staying away from cigarettes I am 235 lbs. Gulp, I ask myself everyday What the ---- happened!! I have been tested for diabetes and thyroid issues and everything is negative. :( I am now counting calories, measuring my portions, cutting out pop and drinking more water. I work as a C.N.A. and that is a very physically demanding job. I also walk about 5 miles everyday that I work, so exercise is not an issue. I am really tired of feeling like this, my husband is very supportive, he still thinks I'm sexy even though I am so much bigger than when we met. :love: With the right support I know that I can do this.