Getting started when you're THAT unfit - any tips?

Options
Any tips on how to get started and make the most of the very little time you can do when you're extremely unfit? Like REALLY unfit??

I weight about 18stone now, 5ft7, age 29. ust went back to the gym for the first time in about 6 months and - OH DEAR! I started sweating almost immediately. After just 10mins on the cross trainer (elliptical trainer) i had to stop as I felt dizzy. I let my heart rate calm then did 20mins on the running machine - but i just walked at about 2.7mph and kept adjusting the elevation so i was walking up a steep hill. I walked back from the gym (only 5mins away) and walked verrrrrry slowly up the first 4 flights of stairs. And thats it. Thats all i could do.

According to the gym machines, i burnt just 250 calories in total. It's awful, but I really was so dizzy afterwards and my legs were like jelly, i dont feel I could have done more.

So any tips? I want to get fit quickly so i can start losing weight, seeing results and feeling better about myself. Right now, i dont feel good about myself and that session, i just feel so embarassed :(

Replies

• lovechicagobears
    lovechicagobears Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    Start slowly. I didn't even look at the elliptical until I'd lost 40 pounds.

I was 357 with major foot and knee issues when I first started. I did DVDs and YouTube videos as much as I could, because it was fairly easy to make them low-impact. Turbo Jam Cardio Party (Mix #1) is really good because your feet are pretty much stationary for most of it, and two of the instructors do low-impact modifications you can follow. Before the elliptical, this was my absolute highest calorie burn, period. I burned about 800-1100 calories every time I did that workout, depending on how much I put into it.

Once I lost about 15 pounds, I started walking to condition my feet and knees. I aimed for a half-mile at first, then a mile, and so on. Eventually, I started walking three miles per day. I also did upper body work (DVD) with free weights. If my feet/knees started to bother me, I went back to low-impact stuff.

I also used my Wii Fit once I was under the 330 weight limit. It's not a *great* workout, but it does burn some calories, and it's fun. It mostly helped with my flexibility. You can get an adjuster to make the step a bit higher for the step aerobics, and the running workout is pretty good because you run in place and it gets your heart rate up.

If you have access to a pool (do you have a Y or a university near you?), that's a GREAT workout with no hard impact to the joints. Again, start slowly, and make sure you drink lots of water. It's hard to realize you're getting dehydrated while swimming because you don't feel yourself sweating.

Eventually, I did start the elliptical, but I started slowly (sense a pattern?) I aimed for two minutes, then three, then four, and so on. I add 15-30 seconds every time I go to the gym. I know it doesn't seem like much, but it adds up over time, and it helps ease your body into it. Now my routine includes the treadmill, elliptical, and the recumbent bike. The bike is just for a warm-up, and I use the treadmill to cool down. I haven't started running yet - I set the treadmill to 3.5 mph with a 1% incline (to mimic walking outside). Right now, I'm at 10 minutes on the bike, then 15 on the elliptical, and then 15-20 minutes on the treadmill. My heart rate is usually 125-135 on the bike, 160-170 on the elliptical, and 130-140 on the treadmill.
  • farmwife3815
    farmwife3815 Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    Yes, start slow. I started out walking to my mail box, then to the neighbors mailbox. I just built up. I started with 5# hand weights. I started by just sitting on an exercise ball. It takes time. Do a little more each time. If you go to hard to fast, you'll either get hurt or give up. I would say challenge yourself, but don't go crazy! LOL, find that spot where your working but not dying!!
  • lovechicagobears
    lovechicagobears Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    Also, the calorie readouts on gym machines can vary wildly and are usually inaccurate. Have you considered purchasing a heart rate monitor? I have a Polar FT4. It cost around $50-60, and it's very easy to use. Multiple studies have shown that HRMs can be 9-13% over your true calorie burn, so I just subtract 10% from the final reading. I mostly use it to check my heart rate; the calories are secondary.

The heavier you are, the more calories you're going to burn. I burn twice as many as my friend right now (she's 118 pounds), but I know that won't last forever. :)
  • kenduerden
    Options
    That is fantastic advice and exactly how you should approach getting fitter. When you feel its getting difficult then you must listen to what your body is saying, not to do so is just dangerous and likely to cause injury which will stop you being able to exercise. If you start small and increase slowly you will be amazed at how quickly you improve.

I use an exercise bike and walk. I don't like high impact stuff.

Good luck
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options
    Getting fit and losing weight are two totally different things. You can be fit, but not lose weight.. and you can lose weight, but still be unfit.

Go slow, and focus on one thing at a time.

First get a handle on your food and counting calories.. then focus on exercise.

As far as exercise goes, start off very slow.. like walking on a treadmill for 10 minutes, then 15 minutes, then 20 minutes, and so on down the line.
  • lilpoindexter
    lilpoindexter Posts: 1,122 Member
    Options
    Baby steps...like everyone else said, start slow. i would start with plain old walking. If you are really unfit, a little bit of walking will make a big difference.
  • MelStren
    MelStren Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    I agree. Start small and keep adding to that! Walking is easy, cheap and works!
  • stephdeeable
    stephdeeable Posts: 1,407 Member
    Options
    Walking, as well as the Walk at Home with Leslie Sansone dvds really helped me when I first started. I've joined a gym now and can do a lot more than I could, but when I first started I tried to do the 30 day shred, and made it 6 minutes. It's better to start slow then to throw yourself into something you're not ready for, it can cause injury or just make you feel frustrated and give up.
  • Brandiberry77
    Brandiberry77 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I find starting actually more fun then when exercising for a year. When you first start you get say "ok, eliptical at lowest setting just make it for 10min". Then next week you can try and bump it up 5min. Tracking your progress is so fun cause the changes come so fast. Just have fun no matter what you do. Don't put down the simplest exercises....sure some can do insanity and thats good for them but walking is great also. GL on your journey!
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    Check out the Couch to 5k program. Whend I first started, I couldn't walk more than a few hundred feet without getting winded. After two months of C25k, I could run for a half hour straight!

http://www.c25k.com/
  • Runninglibrarian13
    Runninglibrarian13 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I agree.. start slow and gradually build up.

I'd also re-think using the incline on the treadmill if you still want to use that. Just work on your time there...then as you become more fit you can add in the incline.

When I started working out I started 20 minutes on my stationary bike (which I've since killed)...then built up the time until I was at about 60 min (this over the course of a year)... then when that got too easy I didn't want to add more time, so I added in extra resistance...but bumped the time down. (so maybe 30 or 45 min at the increased resistance instead of an hour).

And with the treadmill... lol.. while I know the incline is great, I still am getting a pretty fantastic heartrate reading doing the speed I do at 0% incline. One thing at a time, right?
  • Gianna5587
    Gianna5587 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    It sounds like you did really well to me for a first attempt! Keep building on that.. Keep going and as soon as it starts to feel a bit easier add just a few more minutes at a time or go a little bit faster and you'll soon see a difference. But keep on pushing yourself. Well done!
  • Lone_Wolf70
    Lone_Wolf70 Posts: 2,820 Member
    Options
    When i started a yr ago i could bately go 15mims and burn 160-170 cals. Just keep doing it, dint give up. I know burn 1k everday and lost 90lbs....it takes time
  • Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options
    walking

5 minutes here, 5 minutes there

when you can stride quickly for an hour without stopping...look for more to do
  • Louiseisme
    Options
    Start small, When I first started walking with a friend we found a walking path at a local park, we swore it had to be a 5 mile trail, it was 1.08 mile, and it took us 40mins to walk it. We did that for a couple of months and as it got easier we added more laps. Then when we could do 3 laps in about an hour, we then joined a local gym to start with the elipticals and circuit weights. Slowly ease into the exercise or you will get sore and feel dizy and get discouraged. As one person said mailbox to mailbox to build up strength and stamina. As you get active if you watch your diet as well the pounds will start to come off and energy levels go up.
  • penguinlally
    penguinlally Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    That was a lot of work.... don't be so hard on yourself~ Take it slow and steady.... you can do it... each day will be easier...
  • 33Freya
    33Freya Posts: 468 Member
    Options
    Do what you can do. And don't beat yourself up for what you cannot do. Walking is an excellent start, and have you thought about the swimming pool? Most gyms you can walk back and forth in the water and it is so easy on your joints :-)
    All the best to you and congratulations I'm starting your journey to better health. Start slowly and remember you're moving forward and that is wonderful:flowerforyou:
  • jenndymond
    jenndymond Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    What you did was great. Do that and when that gets easier add more time, or incline or stairs. Just take your time and you will get there, it will get better.

Expect it to take some time, but don't give up!
  • muchadoaboutme2000
    muchadoaboutme2000 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    I have spine/knee issues and was right there with you. I got frustrated in the beginning because I felt like I was trapped in my own body. I couldn't push it HARD ENOUGH! As everyone here agrees, start slow. The biggest thing is that your heart rate is up. Some days, for me, that was vacuuming. Other days, I could walk 2 miles. The point is, don't push too hard or you'll injure yourself and that can be a major setback. You didn't gain weight in a day, you won't lose it in a day either. :)
  • literaryweasel
    Options
    Any tips on how to get started and make the most of the very little time you can do when you're extremely unfit? Like REALLY unfit??

I weight about 18stone now, 5ft7, age 29. ust went back to the gym for the first time in about 6 months and - OH DEAR! I started sweating almost immediately. After just 10mins on the cross trainer (elliptical trainer) i had to stop as I felt dizzy. I let my heart rate calm then did 20mins on the running machine - but i just walked at about 2.7mph and kept adjusting the elevation so i was walking up a steep hill. I walked back from the gym (only 5mins away) and walked verrrrrry slowly up the first 4 flights of stairs. And thats it. Thats all i could do.

According to the gym machines, i burnt just 250 calories in total. It's awful, but I really was so dizzy afterwards and my legs were like jelly, i dont feel I could have done more.

So any tips? I want to get fit quickly so i can start losing weight, seeing results and feeling better about myself. Right now, i dont feel good about myself and that session, i just feel so embarassed :(

It's not awful at all--you aren't used to working out and it will take a while to get there. At the start I only did about 10 minutes at 2.5mph on the treadmill. I understand the desire for wanting to get fit quickly; you will see the pounds drop pretty fast at the start, so that should be encouraging. What I would do is start with a 10 minute walk and work your way up from there. If you do too much too fast, you will probably hurt yourself and get the opposite result of what you want!

And something that always helps me: no matter what you do, you're lapping people on the couch. :)