Soul Mates - Real or Not

Options

Replies

• gingerveg
    gingerveg Posts: 748 Member
    Options
    Yes I believe it because I married mine. I also think you might have more than one out there though.
  • _Xtine
    _Xtine Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    I think Mr Minchin sums it up nicely.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IeZMIgheZro
    HA!! I may or may not have laughed... a little.

Soul Mates... hmmm, I've been married 19-years and it's been better than most, great at times but much harder since the arrival of children. In my mind Soul Mates don't have to communicate because they can read each other’s minds and share some spiritual bond.
    Me and my guy, if we don't say exactly what we want or need we both get a bit cranky. So either what we have isn’t soul mate material or life just isn’t that simple. We have to work at staying in love, but liking each other comes very easy.
  • SanteMulberry
    SanteMulberry Posts: 3,202 Member
    Options
    Maybe not for everyone, but my husband and I are definitely soul mates.

That is the only "soul mates" there are. In marriage, you join your soul to your spouse, "until death do us part." It wasn't until the romantic age that anyone considered that marriage could be based on other than practical considerations---it was too important a decision to be based on the emotion of the moment. The reason why many marriages end at the two year mark is that the heated romance of the first two years gives way to a practical arrangement of working out roles---and it is there that character deficits and other impediments to satisfactory marriage crop up.

Interestingly enough, the idea of soulmates goes back to Plato. In his dialogue The Symposium, Plato has Aristophanes present a story about soul mates. Aristophanes states that humans originally had four arms, four legs, and a single head made of two faces, but Zeus feared their power and split them all in half, condemning them to spend their lives searching for the other half to complete them. It is said that once the two find each other, they can overcome anything, move mountains with their love.

I don't doubt that what you have said is true, but even the most romantic of the ancient Greeks would not have based marriage on some fantastical notion. Again, it wasn't until the romantic era that anyone thought to base marriage on such a fanciful idea. :smile:
  • WinnerVictorious
    WinnerVictorious Posts: 4,735 Member
    Options
    Imo, the concept is ridiculous that there is one perfect person for u...or I'm just a negative bleep.

What r your opinions?

in a world of 6+ billion people, it's fairly pessimistic to assume that there is only 1 soul mate for you on the whole planet. if that were the case, the odds of anyone ever meeting, much less dating and falling in love, with their soul mate would be astronomically small.

however, on the odd chance that this theory is correct, i have insider information that tells me that Stephanie Seymour is my soul mate.

Stephanie, if you're reading this, call me. ok? :flowerforyou:
  • Junken_Diraffe
    Junken_Diraffe Posts: 716 Member
    Options
    Real. But I don't necessarily think you only have one, nor do I think it's romantic love all the time. I think I can be a best friend relationship, totally platonic or a lover/spouse.
  • Matt_Wilken
    Options
    Not real, I believe one are compatible with a set of people
  • homerjspartan
    homerjspartan Posts: 1,893 Member
    Options
    Not sure. But I do believe in Soul Glow. My hair has never looked better.
  • neverstray
    neverstray Posts: 3,845 Member
    Options
    I used to believe in it, until she divorced me.
  • Barbellerella
    Barbellerella Posts: 1,838 Member
    Options
    tumblr_lhvg05gQdB1qbhocio1_250.gif
    171504_o.gif
  • Jerrawuff
    Options
    The secnd my fiance and I saw eachother it was an instant attraction and draw to be close. We have talked every day since the day we met, August 28th 2009... Been together a little over three years, have a beautiful son, and a wedding coming up. Idk about an actual "soul mate" but I think there is one person out there that the second your eyes meet it's just absolutely impossible to not have them in your heart forever. Now I'm sure he and I could both be happy with other people or make a life with someone else.. but the though of not having him right by side is physically painful. So Idk about soul matebut EVERYONE has the "ONE".... Hope ya'll find yours
  • Skeebee
    Skeebee Posts: 740 Member
    Options
    I guess you would need to explain your concept of soul mates. I don't believe a soul make is a person who is perfect for you. A soul mate is someone directly connected to your soul in a way you can't explain. But, that does NOT mean they are perfect. For example. My husband and a best friend of mine are my soul mates. And, obviously, I'm only married to one of them. lol. I have a friend I have known for 23 years who is NOT a soul mate, but very close to me. But, my other friend of 12 years is more of soul mate. We don't talk often, but there are vibes and feelings that only he and I understand about each other when talking....I can't really explain it...

it's really how people define a true "soul mate." The love of your life isn't always going to be your soul mate.
  • Skeebee
    Skeebee Posts: 740 Member
    Options
    tumblr_lhvg05gQdB1qbhocio1_250.gif
    171504_o.gif

LOL!!!
  • moriuh
    moriuh Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I believe in soulmates, but I don't think they're the only people you can fall in love with, nor is anyone else 'second best'. I believe everyone has a soulmate, but they're rare and most people won't find them.
  • coffee_rocks
    coffee_rocks Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    Yes I believe it because I married mine. I also think you might have more than one out there though.
    I agree...

I met my wife on March 23rd and married her on Aug 9th, same year. That was in 1991. We never fight, always are on the same page and yes, I believe we are soul mates. Could there be someone else out that that I would be equally happy with? Probably, but I'm glad I don't have to look any longer.
  • rush0321
    rush0321 Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    I haven't felt that love at first sight, but I did have amazing GF's. The only thing is that they ended in a blink of an eye!!! So I'm not sure if I am a believer, maybe until I find that one special girl/gym partner :)
  • eris1981
    eris1981 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I didn't believe in soul mates until I met my husband . . . I wasn't the least bit romantic or interested in a relationship at all until I met him . . . It wasn't quite "love at first sight" but not far from it, though. He moved in with me less than two months after we met, I married him a year after meeting him, and we've been together for almost three years now. We sometimes fight but never over anything serious. The only time we've spent a night apart since we've lived together was miserable for both of us and we fell asleep on the phone together . . . It's ridiculous and cheesy and neither of us have the desire to be apart ever. School and work is the only time we ever are. I fully realize exactly how cheesy I sound . . . and I used to make fun of people like me. My husband is nothing like anything I ever thought I would want in a relationship but I realize now what I wanted wasn't what I needed. I don't think he's the only person I could ever be happy with, but I'm not interested in pursuing anybody else. Even when I'm the angriest I could possibly be with my husband, I know that I am still much happier with him than I would be without him. He's my soul mate but our relationship still requires effort from both of us.

I don't think that necessarily everybody has a soul mate, and I don't think those who do necessarily have only one. I also don't think that everybody who has a soul mate will meet theirs.

I do think, though, that the concept is not something you can really fully understand until you've experienced it.
  • PinkyKiwii
    PinkyKiwii Posts: 512 Member
    Options
    Bull****
    :angry:
  • Dub_D
    Dub_D Posts: 1,760 Member
    Options
    You become soul mates after you meet and grow close. There is not one person you are destined to be with.
  • cqueenbee12
    cqueenbee12 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Nah, its all bs....u live, then u die....all sharing does is give someone a chance to own & depress u.
    Ok so I will admit I felt this way for a lonnng time. I was a serial dater I guess you could say. I dated guys and they would stick around for six months and then turn into complete jerks. I don't know why. I stayed with a controlling abuser for three years of my life, bc I was scared to leave. Then when I finally got up the courage to leave he still tried controlling me even after we were through. I always thought that fairytale romance stuff wasn't for me either. I met my fiancee two years ago, and he is sooo different than any of the other guys i have ever dated. Sharing your life with someone doesn't mean that they get the right to own you! All relationships don't have to be bad. Being in love and having a soulmate is about mutual respect. If you love the man enough to be with him or if it's meant to be then you don't wake up every morning thinking of ways to **** them over mentally or physically. Your main concern isn't to own that person. My first thought waking up now isn't how much I hate waking up anymore. I guess I'm just lucky enough to find the man who is perfect for me.
  • homerjspartan
    homerjspartan Posts: 1,893 Member
    Options
    Bull****
    :angry:

Nope. They are real. I met mine, married her, and have 3 kids. We have been married 15 years. Every single day I want to punch a hole through her face.

True love people.