What Do I Need for Camping

Options

Replies

• therealsuperbigrob
    therealsuperbigrob Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    The most important item for camping is a brand new shiney camper with all the bells and whistles, everything else is for cavemen.
  • anels449
    anels449 Posts: 3,187 Member
    Options
    I set up a camping trip with my kids. I haven't been camping since I was a kid. I have nothing. Between now and April, I need to buy a few things.

There are no bears where I am going. This is important. That's what they say, although I am suspicious of that. Lol.

On my list of things is:
    Tent, sleeping bag, flash light, batteries, pads for sleeping bags, lantern, Coleman stove and propane, cutlery, knives, pots, pans, and coffee pot or instant coffee, fishing poles, bikes, food, cooler, clothes, chairs, wood for fire, first aid, bug spray, and guitar. That's it, right? What am I missing? Any thing obvious?

At least one handgun...most obvious...and probably something in case it rains if you don't already have that included with your clothes.

If the OP wants to bring a handgun, then find out the laws before going into that area. Some areas don't allow guns, and from my understanding it was only recently that most National parks in the United States started to allow them. Otherwise, (though you said they aren't in that area) bear mace can be more effective (and cheaper) than guns.

Also, a camera! :D My husband and I are planning on a Yellowstone/Grand Teton honeymoon camping trip this summer and getting a video camera is one of our number one priorities. :p

***Edit***

Oh and also, depending on what *type* of camping you're doing (backcountry vs going to a campsite) plastic containers to hold food and supplies in! We've had some many experiences with critters like racoons trying to get into our food! The plastic containers help contain it and then you don't have to put your food into the car every night. :)
  • anels449
    Options
    Oh, and a mallet for hammering in your tent pegs.

Oh my gosh, this on so many levels. When we were in South Dakota, we forgot to get a rubber mallet and it took forever to get our pegs into the ground. Most of them we could only get half way. I've noticed that a rubber mallet seems to work better personally. :)
  • PapaverSomniferum
    PapaverSomniferum Posts: 2,677 Member
    Options
    ^^^ seriously, consider raccoons.

They're smart, they have hands, and they never give up. They know how to work Tupperware. They can open coolers. If you're camping in a campground where people regularly camp, outsmarting the raccoons that live their lives robbing campers can be quite the ordeal.
  • WinnerVictorious
    WinnerVictorious Posts: 4,735 Member
    Options
    go somewhere with hungry bears.

good motivation to get in some cardio.
  • Dub_D
    Dub_D Posts: 1,760 Member
    Options
    Baby wipes, to clean your face and hands and stuff. Marshmallows, smores, etc.

ETA: by stuff I mean junk..
  • lwagnitz
    lwagnitz Posts: 1,321 Member
    Options
    I set up a camping trip with my kids. I haven't been camping since I was a kid. I have nothing. Between now and April, I need to buy a few things.

There are no bears where I am going. This is important. That's what they say, although I am suspicious of that. Lol.

On my list of things is:
    Tent, sleeping bag, flash light, batteries, pads for sleeping bags, lantern, Coleman stove and propane, cutlery, knives, pots, pans, and coffee pot or instant coffee, fishing poles, bikes, food, cooler, clothes, chairs, wood for fire, first aid, bug spray, and guitar. That's it, right? What am I missing? Any thing obvious?

Didn't read everyone else's responses...but... what I can think off first hand...

A tarp, or two.
    Baby wipes (sticky hands)
    Baby powder if there's a lake and you go swimming (gets sand off)
    Towels
    Water or some sort of filter or tabs
  • anels449
    Options

They're smart, they have hands, and they never give up. They know how to work Tupperware. They can open coolers. If you're camping in a campground where people regularly camp, outsmarting the raccoons that live their lives robbing campers can be quite the ordeal.

Good god yeah! Crafty little buggers, they are. All of the plasticware my parents had had claw and bites marks around the handles from them trying to open it! :p
  • PapaverSomniferum
    Options

Good god yeah! Crafty little buggers, they are. All of the plasticware my parents had had claw and bites marks around the handles from them trying to open it! :p

When camping in cool weather, I take my dog as a raccoon deterrent. One year, they got into our cooler anyways. Either they made friends with the dog, or they were so sneaky, they didn't even wake him up.

If you're camping in "the wilderness", raccoons aren't as big a problem. "Wild" raccoons are intimidated by people and won't come near you. It's the campground coons you've got to worry about. They aren't scared of *kitten*.
  • anels449
    Options

When camping in cool weather, I take my dog as a raccoon deterrent. One year, they got into our cooler anyways. Either they made friends with the dog, or they were so sneaky, they didn't even wake him up.

My vote's for befriending the pup. They're so gosh darn cute, how could you not want to be?!
  • Nanba007
    Nanba007 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    extra pair of dry shoes, and warm coat.
  • PapaverSomniferum
    Options

My vote's for befriending the pup. They're so gosh darn cute, how could you not want to be?!

My dog isn't very smart. I imagine the conversation went something like this:

raccoons: "Hey! We see you have a black mask. We have black masks too!"

sausage-for-brains: "Oh boy! You must be small Saint Bernards!"

raccoons: "uh, yeah. And we're hungry. Do you mind if we get into this cooler?"

sausage-for-brains: "If you do, they'll call you 'Bad Dog' and you'll feel bad and pee on your own feet."

raccoons: "Oh, it's okay because...um...the people said it was okay."

sausage-for-brains: "Ok. Have fun!"
  • elexichoccyeater
    elexichoccyeater Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    Pegs and a washing line for wet clothes xx
  • stealthSLOTH
    stealthSLOTH Posts: 695 Member
    Options

Oh my gosh, this on so many levels. When we were in South Dakota, we forgot to get a rubber mallet and it took forever to get our pegs into the ground. Most of them we could only get half way. I've noticed that a rubber mallet seems to work better personally. :)

oh wow! I usually just look for a big rock to use. :sad:

-Headlamp
    -extra contractor grade garbage bags - good for garbage, recycling, or last minute rainwear
  • MochaMixAZ
    MochaMixAZ Posts: 844 Member
    Options
    We also take a 5 gallon bottle of tap water for washing and cleaning and just leave it in the car.

Another trick is I wet and soap washcloths, then seal them in ziploc baggies and throw those in. With just a few drops of water to rinse, it's a great bath-in-a-bag. If you want a REAL treat, you can also pull out one of those soap towels, roll it, then wrap tin foil around it tightly (think super-wrapped burrito, twice)... then drop that little silver roll into a pot of boiling water... and then you have a WARM soapy towel to clean your face and hands.
  • anels449
    Options

My dog isn't very smart. I imagine the conversation went something like this:

raccoons: "Hey! We see you have a black mask. We have black masks too!"

sausage-for-brains: "Oh boy! You must be small Saint Bernards!"

raccoons: "uh, yeah. And we're hungry. Do you mind if we get into this cooler?"

sausage-for-brains: "If you do, they'll call you 'Bad Dog' and you'll feel bad and pee on your own feet."

raccoons: "Oh, it's okay because...um...the people said it was okay."

sausage-for-brains: "Ok. Have fun!"

:laugh: Sounds like mine except she'd join in for the food heist! :p
  • lwagnitz
    lwagnitz Posts: 1,321 Member
    Options

oh wow! I usually just look for a big rock to use. :sad:

-Headlamp
    -extra contractor grade garbage bags - good for garbage, recycling, or last

OR, don't forget your pegs. One year my aunt forgot the tent, the next she forgot the pegs. The year we forgot the tent, we used a tarp and just put all of our things under it (and it did end up raining) and we slept in the back of the van. The second year, we took the tarp thing that covers the tent, put the pole underneathe it and popped it up on the bed of the truck. Worked out pretty good, actually lol.

But...it would've been nicer just to have a tent...
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    Take the first aid kit apart - know how to use it. Make sure you have blankets. Know how to make splint, deal with dehydration, wasp stings.
    Depending on type of hiking / camping take a gps, a communication kit, keep your phone charged and off. Buy a dry bag/box.
  • ShmoozyQ
    ShmoozyQ Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    Soap for handwashing. A find a small nail brush really useful to get really good and "scrubby" clean. One of those water containers with a tap on it is really useful for handwashing. (And washing dishes, if you're going to be out long enough to do that.)
  • slimmergalpal
    slimmergalpal Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    ziplock bags. No kidding. You wouldn't believe how much crap we end-up sticking in the ziplock bags ! They "keep" all your crap together. My kids were forever finding cool rocks, or needing to put stuff safely away from weather. We also used them to make our own trail mix to shove in our pockets for the longer hikes or bike rides. We have a big camper now, but we used a 3 dome (room) tent for over 20 years with our kids. Have Fun !