Substitute for mayo?

Options
So I'm craving egg salad- BAD. I know the mayo isn't good for me.

I was thinking of trying hummus or greek yogurt, but wasn't sure how they'd taste. Any suggestions?

Replies

• oldernotwiser
    oldernotwiser Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    Greek yoghurt would work and would taste good if you like the taste of greek yoghurt. Avocado is an excellent substitute. Granted, lots of fat but it is fat that is good for you.
  • katy_trail
    katy_trail Posts: 1,992 Member
    Options
    you could do a little miracle whip with chipotle sauce added or chipotle mustard in the egg salad to make up for lost flavor.
    my taste buds think chipotle is the solution to everything lol.
  • FitandFab33
    FitandFab33 Posts: 718 Member
    Options
    Get a mayo made with olive oil.. or whip up your own (or an aioli) instead. Healthy fats... just don't eat a lb of egg salad in a sitting.. and account for it in your diary/caloric goals
  • dovesgate
    dovesgate Posts: 894 Member
    Options
    Plain greek yogurt tastes similar to sour cream. If you'd be willing to sub sour cream for mayo then use the greek yogurt. I'd do it because I love greek yogurt.

Hummus has its own unique flavor that takes some getting used to (in my mind). I wouldn't but if you like it then use that.
  • Doodlewhopper
    Doodlewhopper Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options
    You can have mayo, just keep it within your daily goal.
  • gingerveg
    gingerveg Posts: 748 Member
    Options
    I love veganaise but I don't know how it stacks up calorie wise against mayo.
  • annwyatt69
    annwyatt69 Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    I use fat free mayo and I don't mind it at all.
  • Firefox7275
    Firefox7275 Posts: 2,040 Member
    Options
    Reduced/ low fat version? Some taste pretty good.
  • shanmackie
    shanmackie Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    Mindful Mayo is good, made by Earth Balance. As well as Veganaise. I think avocado is a good replacement as well, depending on the recipe.
  • JanaCanada
    JanaCanada Posts: 917 Member
    Options
    I try to substitute as much as I can, but there are some things, like egg salad, that call for the real deal. I find Calorie-Wise Miracle Whip is at least a lower-cal choice. You use less of it if you load up your egg salad with celery, onion, and green pepper, too.
  • elyelyse
    elyelyse Posts: 1,454 Member
    Options
    i use greek yogurt too. you don't yet that delicious tang that mayo gives, so occasionally i just go for the mayo, but greek yogurt is my standard replacement. If you want some more flavor, you can mix something into it; i use sri racha hot sauce if i want some kick, or a little balsamic vinegar if i want something lighter. (the yogurt/balsamic mix makes a GREAT creamy salad dressing too.
  • smae1980
    smae1980 Posts: 794 Member
    Options
    I think veganaise is better for you than mayo, but calorie wise it's nealrly the same. Seems funny to me to mix vegan mayo with eggs, lol!
  • cuterbee
    cuterbee Posts: 545
    Options
    I use a mix of fat free miracle whip and light mayo; tastes pretty much like mayo to me. :) The ratio I use is 2/3 fat free to 1/3 light.
  • VickiLynnD57
    Options
    I use fat free miracle whip, adds moisture and flavor, agreed w/ the above fat free mayo is also a great way to go, just log it <3
  • angelacooper3
    angelacooper3 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I use the zero fat greek yoghurt as a salad dressing, slacken it off with a little water and add dried mint and crushed garlic with a little salt and pepper to give it a bit of kick. Am thinking I may try it with a little chopped pickle cucumber and some lemon zest next time I have fish
  • Sorie44
    Sorie44 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I always use real mayo and just count the calories. Food still needs to taste good or you will feel deprived.
  • pirateteacher
    pirateteacher Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Try Ranch dressing? Whichever kind you like, lf, ff...
  • OspreyVista
    OspreyVista Posts: 464 Member
    Options
    You can have mayo, just keep it within your daily goal.

^This. I have egg salad all the time. Love them. AND They are very filling. Total calories for 1 sandwhich that I usually make: 205 That's not that much really. I usually add a glass of milk to help keep the full feeling for awhile. Usually lasts me till dinner :)
  • ChristiMightGetFit
    ChristiMightGetFit Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I use avocado! :)
  • lamby284
    lamby284 Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    I'd say just eat the mayo. Ive made the mistake of trying to substitute a food with something else that's clearly not as good...i went nuts!