Suggest good salad dressings please!

Options
Hello! I'm new to this site and have a question for you successful dieters!
Dinner time is my problem time of day. I'm going to try cutting down on dinner portion sizes and adding a salad most nights. I don't like the non-fat dressings I've used in the past; so many seem either too artificially sweet or too acidic. Can anyone suggest a good brand of non-fat or very low-fat dressing? Or a simple home salad dressing recipe you like?

Replies

• lamby284
    lamby284 Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    You might like a raspberry vinaigrette dressing. Naturally low-fat with a touch sweetness to cut the acidity. I find dressings with "no fat" or "low fat" advertised on the front are a crock. Not as good as was once thought
  • maab12
    maab12 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    for me the best dressing is a little bit of olive oil salt garlic and some onion powder. the oil brings out the nutriants in the veggies. and having 2 teaspoons of a healthy oil such as olive oil or canola oil is good for you.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    My favorite is Newman's Own Olive Oil & Vinegar. It's not low or nonfat, but the only fat comes from olive oil, so it's healthy. A single tablespoon will flavor a pretty large salad and it's incredibly yummy.
  • PapaverSomniferum
    PapaverSomniferum Posts: 2,677 Member
    Options
    I have 2 favorite salad dressings.

1. Non-fat plain yogurt with herbs and spices

2. balsamic vinegar with herbs and spices
  • jerber160
    jerber160 Posts: 2,606 Member
    Options
    shur-fine light italian dressing. kinda like the kraft brands.. about 35 cals per 2 tbsp i think
  • KareninCanada
    KareninCanada Posts: 795 Member
    Options
    1/3 to 1/2 cup apple cider vinegar or balsamic vinegar

1/3 to 1/2 cup olive oil

1 teaspoon honey or agave nectar or sugar

add soy sauce, garlic, or spices to suit your mood. :)
  • Nanba007
    Nanba007 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I use fruit, like oranges, apples. I used to be the one to use a 1/2 of a bottle of dressing, now I don't even buy it.
  • deannakittygirl
    deannakittygirl Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    I like bolthouse farms balsamic viniagrette. its in by salad mixes usually. its kept cold. you can also just do lemon/ lime juice and olive oil if you like it light.
  • chlorisaann
    chlorisaann Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    My fave is Newmans Own Lite Lime Vinaigrette. I had a 5 cup salad with 4 oz chicken today with only 2 Tbs dressing (60 cals) and it was plenty to coat the whole salad! It is very tangy tho... If you dont LOVE lime, it might not be for you....
  • linda1243
    linda1243 Posts: 166
    Options
    My friend goes and gets some olives from the olive bar at her grocery store and blends it with some olive oil. It's very good.
  • FinallyFindingLisa
    FinallyFindingLisa Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    I love love LOVE the Bolthouse yogurt dressings. The raspberry vinaigrette is awesome, low sodium, low sugar, low calorie. I think I have about 6 of the varieties in the fridge right now :love:
  • dorianaldyn
    dorianaldyn Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    My favorite store bought dressing is Trader Joe's fat free balsamic vinegarette. But, I'm also pretty happy with just balsamic vinegar (and no oil) on my salads.
  • LaLouve_RK
    LaLouve_RK Posts: 899 Member
    Options
    When I want creamy, I use Hellman's low fat mayo and add spices....

Otherwise, love that one::::::::::::::

4e6ce42e5437dda0ce8809e4e03de871.jpeg
  • a_mandolin_
    a_mandolin_ Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    I like to go to those olive oil/vinegar shops that are popping up everywhere and get flavored vinegar and just use that.

So many great flavors, and it is nice and thick, unlike store bought vinegars so it sticks to your salad nicely.

I am currently using a raspberry. http://lacrosseoliveoil.com/balsamics.html
  • Stdavis53
    Stdavis53 Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    Honestly, I love the Salad Spritzers. They have several flavors and they are 1 calorie per spray. Also, Kraft makes a Ceaser Italian that is only 20 cal per 2 Tbsp that is pretty good.
  • toaster6
    toaster6 Posts: 703 Member
    Options
    I love Ken's Steakhouse light sun-dried tomato dressing. It's really good and to me, tastes like full fat dressing. I also like Wishbone's Romano Basil Vinaigrette Dressing. If you want something creamier, you can always use plain fat-free Greek yogurt to make your own; it has a flavor similar to sour cream. Add a little water to give it a dressing consistency and add in some spices you like-- mint, garlic, salt, whatever you like.
  • TravelDog14
    TravelDog14 Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    Quality balsamic vinegar.
    WIth that, I don't need anything else.
  • BelindaDuvessa
    BelindaDuvessa Posts: 1,014 Member
    Options
    I usually use straight Balsamic Vinegar with some pepper. If I make me own dressing, it's usually with Balsamic. I'll marinate my tomatoes in it, with some herbs and pour that over my salad. The tomatoes give the vinegar a different taste.
  • traceface71
    traceface71 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    One of my greatest loves is blue cheese dressing and I'm unwilling to give it up. So, after much searching I found Naturally Fresh Lite Blue Cheese dressing...it's still 100 cal per 2 tbsp but so worth it.
  • SeaJenni
    SeaJenni Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    Trader Joe's lowfat parmesan ranch dressing.