Suggest good salad dressings please!

Options

Replies

• x_cinder_x
    x_cinder_x Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    I have come to accept I have weird taste buds, but going to throw it out there anyway. I like to put southwest mustard on my salads. Its like only 10 calories a tsp (and a tsp of that stuff goes a long way) with full flavor.

Oh and when there is calorie room I add light ranch with it-turns it into a south west ranch flavor.
  • DonnaLeeCattes
    DonnaLeeCattes Posts: 492 Member
    Options
    Salsa, thats all I use :)
  • parmoute
    parmoute Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    I can do a vinaigrette once in a while, but not all the time. Try the yogurt-based dressings from Bolthouse Farms. I use the Ranch and Honey Mustard all the time and it's only 45 calories for 2 tbsp dressing. I don't think I could eat salads regularly if I didn't have these dressings. The honey mustard my sister served at Christmas was 200 calories for the same serving size! Bolthouse Farms also makes protein drinks and smoothies; I'm a fan of the vanilla chai :tongue:
  • 2hobbit1
    2hobbit1 Posts: 820 Member
    Options
    Use the real thing not fat free stuff - just be sure to measure the portion and include it in you log - a small amount of the real thing goes a long way.

Or you can make your own with good olive oil, a well flavored vinegar and a spice blend of your choice.

Be sure to measure and log

Or use a squeeze of lemon or lime, a shot of chouhoula hot sauce and a drizzle of balsamic vinigar
  • akmett
    akmett Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    I like to put a few strawberries in a blender with a splash of vinager and make a low cal/fat strawberry vinagette dressing. It's good on spinich with some sliced strawberries, almonds, and/or bacon.

Also, Bolthouse Farms yogurt dressings(sold in the produce isle) are low in cals for a creamy dressing but don't taste as yucky as most low cal/fat creamy dressings.
  • Karabobarra
    Karabobarra Posts: 782 Member
    Options
    I love Newman's Own Light Italian...or salsa, or just a squirt of lemon
  • neen6270
    neen6270 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    newman's own lite honey mustard

I need a little flavor in my salad, but I just log the calories. This dressing is very good. I can't stand lite or low fat ranch dressing.
  • SuffolkSally
    SuffolkSally Posts: 964 Member
    Options
    It's well worth experimenting with making your own.

I tend to like quite strong savoury flavours (which also means you use much less) and not too much sweetness, so they might not suit you, but may be worth trying; reduced fat greek yoghurt, gherkins, capers, anchovy, over romaine lettuce; basil, lemon juice, a little lemon infused oil over tomatoes; grain mustard vinaigrette with asparagus, cucumber, avocado; apple cider vinegar, balsamic vinegar and a touch of brown sugar over cooked red cabbage and beetroot; lime juice, chilli, olive oil on red pepper and avocado... etc etc

I know exactly what you mean about the acidity, and I often dilute mine by shaking up with added stock or water. A bit of seasoning's important - just pepper, dried herbs, chilli flakes, or a mix like Italian seasoning. It's worth trying strongly flavoured oils too, as again you need less, try toasted sesame, walnut, lemon etc.

The packaged ones always seem to be full of additives, but if you find you don't want to make your own search for one that doesn't, it'll probably taste better.

The packaged ones do contain a lot of additives
  • shinkalork
    shinkalork Posts: 815 Member
    Options
    well it's not all natural and contains sucralose but.... If you don't mind it...
    Walden's farm make many very good salad dressings...Calories and eveything FREE!
  • buzzcockgirl
    buzzcockgirl Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    I almost ONLY use Trader Joe's Champagne Pear Vinaigrette with Gorgonzola.
    2 Tbs. has only 45 cals, and 3g fat. It is so yummy!

Another thing I use a lot is salsa. Find one you like (A fire roasted salsa that's not too chunky) is good...a little goes a long way! If it's store bought, you probably wont have too many cals or fat, but it could be high in sodium. But it's a great alternative to dressing. Sometimes I make my own-- a can of diced tomatoes with chiles, add some onion, cilantro and garlic... mix in a little chopper or processor. Good stuff!!

Lastly, sometimes I just mash up avocado and use half a squeezed lemon, maybe a sprinkling of dried or fresh garlic- mix it all together and just slather it all over my lettuce. Then I add all the toppings. Another great dressing substitute. A little more cals/fat than the other 2 options... but avocado is the good fat- so it's OK (in moderation!)
    Enjoy!
  • DeeVanderbles
    DeeVanderbles Posts: 589 Member
    Options
    My two favorites are a simple balsamic vinegar (not vinaigrette, just balsamic vinegar), and Newman's Own Lite Honey Mustard.
  • foleyshirley
    foleyshirley Posts: 1,043 Member
    Options
    I'd go with a salad dressing with some healthy fat in it (like olive oil). Many vitamins, including the vitamin A in many veggies, are fat soluble, and having the fat in the dressing can make them easier to absorb. Fat is not the enemy. It doesn't mean you have to go with one that is really high calorie, but it doesn't have to be fat free.
  • his_kid1
    his_kid1 Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    I love Trader Joes Champagne Vinaigrette.
  • dorothytd
    dorothytd Posts: 1,138 Member
    Options

Another vote! So good!!!
  • LoraMora
    LoraMora Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Salsa!

It works on every salad, from ceasar to anything.
  • sm1zzle
    sm1zzle Posts: 920 Member
    Options
    Newmans Own light honey mustard
  • ChristineS_51
    ChristineS_51 Posts: 872 Member
    Options
    You might like a raspberry vinaigrette dressing. Naturally low-fat with a touch sweetness to cut the acidity.

I love this! Makes anything taste nice.

Recently I have been making a salad with oven roasted cubed pumpkin (tumbled in a little olive oil first); and using chopped-up sundried tomatoes (they are packed in oil but I pat them with paper towels first) and some danish feta - the little bits of oil seem to coat all the lettuce / tomato / carrot / cucumber etc that I put in, and the sweetness of the pumpkin and the saltiness of the feta - perfect!!
  • foleyshirley
    foleyshirley Posts: 1,043 Member
    Options

Another vote! So good!!!

I'm going to have to try that one. Thanks.
  • Cynduck
    Cynduck Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    I love Kens Steakhouse Raspberry Pecan. So yummy and only 50 calories and 0 fat!