Wyoming people skinny, but Atlanta is obese

Options

Replies

• stephdeeable
    stephdeeable Posts: 1,407 Member
    Options
    If I lived in a southern state, I wouldn't be on this site. I would weigh 900 pounds and be okay with it.
  • amandapye78
    amandapye78 Posts: 820 Member
    Options
    I do know that on the list of states that are more overweight than others, Georgia is pretty high up there and Wyoming is one of the healthier states. Coming from Texas and moving to Colorado ( the number 1 most healthy state according to the "list") there is a hug difference. Here there are very few restaurants compared to the Dallas area and people spend more time doing physical activities than in TX where the state pastime seems to be eating lol.
  • MattTheWaterRat
    MattTheWaterRat Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    I think your sample size is too small and nonrandom.

agree

The statistics are also, unfortunately, in the OP's opinion's favor:

%20obesity-by-state.png

http://health.usnews.com/health-news/articles/2012/08/16/most-and-least-obese-us-states

Note that all but 3 of those states are in the southeast.

http://www.ncsl.org/issues-research/health/obesity-statistics-in-the-united-states.aspx

Take a look at statistics from the CDC. There's only a 3% difference in the rate of obesity between Wyoming and Georgia.
  • Nanadena
    Nanadena Posts: 739 Member
    Options
    Go to Colorado ...they're all hot and in awesome shape there also! Environment!!

So right!
  • BroiledNotFried
    BroiledNotFried Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    In wyoming, we skied for three days. Just carrying the skis around, and you could feel the difference. Went snowmobiling, wich meant we got stuck in powder. Trying to dig out, I felt my heart and lungs really working out. Then, we went snowshoing. It's only 6500ish feet high at the valley floor, and we felt it....of course coming from sea level.....we really felt it.
  • BondBomb
    BondBomb Posts: 1,781 Member
    Options
    Whenever I visit Atlanta for work, we eat a LOT. Whenever people tell me what they love about Atlanta, it's ALWAYS the restaurants. I also think that the Waffle House has a bit to do with it.

I once got arrested in a Waffle House :)
    Haha so did I. I'm not kidding either.
  • Nanadena
    Nanadena Posts: 739 Member
    Options
    If I lived in a southern state, I wouldn't be on this site. I would weigh 900 pounds and be okay with it.

Too funny!:laugh:
  • Laces_0ut
    Laces_0ut Posts: 3,750 Member
    Options
    ive definitely noticed that people here in Phoenix are much healthier than any city in the midwest or east that i have been to or lived in.

i guess with its sunny and warm almost every single day you have extra incentive to be active and healthy. :)
  • BroiledNotFried
    Options
    3 percent difference between wy and ga? I should clarify. I was in Jackson Hole Wyoming, and McDonough and Lovejoy Georgia.
  • SLRamirez2012
    Options
    I def think it has something to do with the environment. I live in Tahoe, and we are more on the healthy side then obese, granted, there are those overweight, but for the most part, we are healthy. This is a very active town!
  • Simone_King
    Simone_King Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    I think Alabama has the highest obesity rates in all of the states right?

That being said, it's all the good food thats being sold.

If you consider KFC good food. u.u.
  • EmilyJackCO
    EmilyJackCO Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    3 percent difference between wy and ga? I should clarify. I was in Jackson Hole Wyoming, and McDonough and Lovejoy Georgia.

There's also a big difference in population density between the two states, which could account for it. My best friend lives in Cheyenne and oh, the tales... She drives into Fort Collins an hour away here in Colorado for decent food.
  • vizsla99
    vizsla99 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Whenever I visit Atlanta for work, we eat a LOT. Whenever people tell me what they love about Atlanta, it's ALWAYS the restaurants. I also think that the Waffle House has a bit to do with it.

I once got arrested in a Waffle House :)
    Story time!

It's a very long and VERY drawn out story that can really only be told in person, but I'll give you the abridges version. It happened back when I used to play and sing for a living. My guitar player (who is legally insane) got us in to the trouble. It all escalated and wound up with the two of us getting hauled to the pokey. When we went to the arraignment he actually tried to enter an insanity plea. Well, you can't do that at an arraignment...it's either "guilty or not guilty". The prosecuter was laughing so hard at the scene we created in the court room that he called us over to talk about our plea. When we walked up to him he was like, let me ask you fellas a question. What were you doing in a Waffle House at 3:00 am anyway? I tried to give him some kind of answer about being a musician, work hours, etc and he cuts me off mid sentence and says, "No, no, no...I mean what where you doing in a Waffle House when there was an IHOP, a Perkins, and a Denny's all within a few blocks of that place? The food at all of those places is WAY better"! He said, "Look, you two have never been in trouble around here before, why don't we agree you'll stay out of Waffle Houses in my county for the next 6 months and we'll call it good, ok?"

I couldn't say yes fast enough!

I left out the parts about running in to an old college friend who actually was the guy that had to fingerprint me at the jail, the nurse at the jail interrogating me about whether I'd been drinking, our drummer coming to bail us out, and my lunatic guitar player laying on the jail cell floor singing the Star Spangled Banner at the top of his lungs and crying about police brutality.

It was a night I'll never forget :)
  • BroiledNotFried
    Options
    After your run in with the law, did you add the song, "the night the lights went out in Georgia" to your playlist.
  • reasnableblonde
    reasnableblonde Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    It depends on where you're looking. It's like going into a bar on a Friday night and concluding that everyone in the state drinks alcohol. If you were skiing in Wyoming, you were surrounded by people who ski. In Atlanta, if you were at restaurants with soul food, you were surrounded by people who eat soul food. See where I'm going?
  • lacurandera1
    lacurandera1 Posts: 8,083 Member
    Options
    Boy I like the night crowd,. It this was posted at 9 am on a weekday, there would have been 5 pages of comments about how you shouldn't call southerners fat already. :)
  • vizsla99
    vizsla99 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    After your run in with the law, did you add the song, "the night the lights went out in Georgia" to your playlist.

No, but after our ban was over we kicked around the idea of making a "Live at Waffle House" CD and use our mug shots as the photos for the CD cover :) It really just made us more well known. I never will forget the night I told the story from the stage at a show. My mom was sitting in the audience and it was the first time she'd heard the story. My poor mom :)
  • MyOwnSunshine
    MyOwnSunshine Posts: 1,312 Member
    Options
    Just so you know, Jackson isn't really representative of Wyoming natives. Most people who live there are rich people who moved from out of state or poor people who love to ski and raft who moved from out of state to work in the service industry.

I grew up in Wyoming and was fat all my life. Wyoming has it's share of fat people -- I just don't think the Jackson Hole jet set crowd allows them to be seen in public. :wink:
  • VelociMama
    VelociMama Posts: 3,119 Member
    Options

There's also a big difference in population density between the two states, which could account for it. My best friend lives in Cheyenne and oh, the tales... She drives into Fort Collins an hour away here in Colorado for decent food.

Obesity rate for Atlanta metropolitan area: 28.7% (above state average of 28%)

Obesity rate for Wyoming (as a state): 25%

http://www.governing.com/gov-data/obesity-rates-by-state-metro-area-data.html

I understand the point you're trying to make here (both of you), and I agree that the demographics matter especially with statistical measures like these. That being said, I think the OP has a valid point that certain states do have impressively (not in a good way) high rates of obesity and sedentary lifestyles that make a visual impact upon visitors from states, cities, or neighborhoods that don't. I've noticed the same thing on my last two trips to Atlanta as well. It's not a good trend.

Statistically, there's a 3% difference, which may not sound like much, but depending on where the OP lives in Wyoming, that difference could be much larger.
  • NareenaTheGypsy
    NareenaTheGypsy Posts: 475 Member
    Options
    @skatingisfun: Southern is the key to why there's so many overweight people in the ATL.. I live in the area as well, northeast of ATL anyway. Southern food though is a big problem.. fried chicken, dumplings, biscuits, cakes and pies galore.. I grew up on southern food. When I was a little kid, my grandmother still used lard making biscuits. Creepy thought, but oh dear god they were good! LOL

Of course, I'm sure the people in WY are more active on a daily basis. I've seen people in the Atlanta area who complain if they have to walk further than the handicapped parking spaces to get into a Wal-Mart. So sad :(.