Tea and curbing sweet cravings

Options
The last few nights I've been craving sweets, sugary anything. Instead of giving in and out of desperation to avoid said goodies I made some herbal tea... I've discovered that it really curbs the craving and its so much better for me. Anybody else noticed this? If not, give it a try, I'd be curious to know if it works for others.
Its working so well I'm thinking about buying some more tea options. I never used to be a tea girl so there is not much in the cupboards. Anybody have a favorite I should try?

Replies

• Matilda444WECHANGED
    Options
    A cup of tea with a teaspoon of raw sugar cures cravings for me! Heck, a mug of tea cures a lot of things.
  • averyhadleigh
    averyhadleigh Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I use tea at night to curb my cravings as well! Such a great help!
  • lilpoindexter
    lilpoindexter Posts: 1,122 Member
    Options
    I haven't given up coffee with sugar in the mornings...nor do I have any plans of ever giving up coffee with sugar. It's something I incorporate into my diet. I am sure my weight loss would be a lot harder and faster without my sugary coffee fixes three or four times a day, but it ain't happening. Sometimes I cut back on the sugar a little in the coffee and put cinammon in there, but it's not the same.
  • Matilda444WECHANGED
    Options
    I prefer the ritual of a tea ball and loose tea. Teavana is my favorite. Though, Kusmi has a chocolate tea that I adore! I keep that one at my office for mid afternoon struggles with the urge to hit up the vending machine for chocolate.
  • Front_Runner
    Options
    TEA SAVED ME!!! :) Seriously - it totally helped me reach my GW for the same reasons... it curbed my cravings! My favorite teas I found that helped me:

1. Coconut Chai (by Zhena's Gypsy Tea - black tea, though!)
    2. Sugar Plum (by Celestial Seasoning - it's seasonal, but you can get it from their web site!)
    3. Bengal Spice (by Celestial Seasoning)
    4. Tahitian Vanilla Hazelnut (by Yogi Tea)

They're all awesome with a splash of milk, too (I think)! They're sweet and fantastic!
  • 2013james
    Options
    @Matilda - any sugar has the opposite effect on me

I just eat a handful of almonds. I dare anyone to eat anything after eating a few almonds. They are nutritiously superb.

(They are high in energy so don't over do it)
  • Robin_Bin
    Robin_Bin Posts: 1,046 Member
    Options
    Tea's good for lots of things. Licorice tea is naturally very sweet and needs no added sugar. Many herbal teas also have a good taste without additional sweetening. And unless a craving is based on a biological, underlying need, a distraction is often all you need to get past it.

P.S. For more idea for dealing with cravings, see http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/Robin_Bin/view/cravings-282817
  • judychicken
    judychicken Posts: 937 Member
    Options
    A cup of tea works for me!
  • judychicken
    judychicken Posts: 937 Member
    Options
    Look at my food diary it works!
  • Sparlingo
    Sparlingo Posts: 938 Member
    Options
    I love tea in the evening to get a bit more water and to curb the snacking urges. Works for me too.

My favourites are just green tea with lemon, and David's Tea has a birthday cake roobois ... SOO good.
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    I drink various teas all day and night. Teavana is my favorite source and I change up between green teas, herbals, rooibos, chai. I pick something depending on whether I'm looking for something fruity in the morning, something spicey in the afternoon and usually something with a bit of sweetness at night. I think it's a combo of the flavour and it being a hot drink that keeps me from eating snacks.
  • Dumbo45
    Options
    Hi, I find that drinking green tea helps me.
  • tageekly
    tageekly Posts: 3,755 Member
    Options
    I've been drinking chocolate (red) teas to curb my sweets cravings and it works for me!

I'm working through the sampler of these right now: http://www.republicoftea.com/category.aspx?c=56
  • breelovesderby
    Options
    I cut out soda a year ago and have replaced that addiction with unsweetened tea, and I rarely crave sweets anymore. Salty fats plague my cravings these days.
  • amonkey794
    amonkey794 Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    Teavanna is amazing!

It is okay to indulge a craving every now and again, though :flowerforyou:
  • KatieJane83
    KatieJane83 Posts: 2,002 Member
    Options
    LOVE tea!!

I'm a big fan of loose teas, I absolutely love going to Teavana.

For me at least, I think a big part of how it helps is making it into it's only little ritual. Rather than focusing on what snacks I'm going to find I focus on picking the tea, boiling the water, steeping the loose leaves. I even have my own little pot, strainer, and cup, from Teavana, kinda makes it special, lol
  • atthompson27
    atthompson27 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Yes, hot tea helps when I'm hungry AND when I'm craving something sweet. I use Splenda to sweeten. I order from teaforte. They are kind of expensive, but their tea is delicious. My favorites are Citrus Mint, African Solstice & Orchid Vanilla.
  • RobynLB
    RobynLB Posts: 617 Member
    Options
    Try cinnamon. Great for a sweet craving. It tastes sweet even without anything added.
  • akilahleemarie
    akilahleemarie Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    hahaha how funny...as i clicked this..i have a cup of hot tea in my hand!! why??? because i am craving candy :) I use tea.. and stevia and a splash of almond milk (probably like 2 tablespoons) and almond milk is 60 calories a cup...so you do the math ;) 7 or 8 calories for a cup of tea that pleases my sweet tooth
  • the_new_me6
    Options
    I LOVE herbal tea. Green tea is much better for you and there are many flavors to choose from. Some of my favorites are orange spice, sleepy time and rasberry!