Does anyone else feel silly working out in front of people?

Options
Like, not at a gym, but at home? I feel silly exercising to videos when my boyfriend is watching. I don't know why. Does anyone else ever feel like that?

Or if you ever have, how did you get over it? I'd like to work out without worrying about him watching :x

Replies

• DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    i work out at the beach or park very often, and I admit that i used to feel silly when a lot of people were around. But once I started seeing that I was actually getting results, I couldn't give a *kitten* who is around, or what they think of me. I'm gonna get mine.
  • YoungDoc2B
    YoungDoc2B Posts: 1,593 Member
    Options
    This just happened to me for the first time tonight. I thought it would be awkward, but it really wasn't. I just tuned them out and focused on what I was doing. If anything, their presence made me push a little harder
  • kristinhills90
    kristinhills90 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    My husband was watching me today as I worked out and at first I did feel silly, but he told me how proud he is of me and how sexy he thought it was watching me work out and I got over it pretty quick. ;) I'm sure your boyfriend feels the same!
  • Duck_Puddle
    Duck_Puddle Posts: 3,224 Member
    Options
    I feel that way all the time. I don't do videos, but I banish everyone (including the dogs) when I use the treadmill. If they happen to need to walk through the room, they aren't allowed to look at me-and if the dogs get in, whoever let them in gets to sleep in the shed. Not kidding on any of this btw.
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    I figured you were talking about at the gym. I think I'd feel like a total weirdo doing a DVD with someone watching, but if you think about it, it's not any worse than being in a class at the gym.
  • Reneeisfat
    Reneeisfat Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    i work out at the beach or park very often, and I admit that i used to feel silly when a lot of people were around. But once I started seeing that I was actually getting results, I couldn't give a *kitten* who is around, or what they think of me. I'm gonna get mine.

You are so right! I have to remember this when I'm in the gym.
  • ZombieFoodSlayer
    Options
    I have learned that no one is looking at you/me..because they are thinking about themselves!! Took me some years to figure this out,

and now I just do my thing, and I agree with above poster, dont give a rats a@@ about what others are doing. Im gonna get mine!!

So freeing!!!
  • Samerah12
    Samerah12 Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    With videos? Definitely. Actually I still feel a little uncomfortable in the weights section of the gym, I'm learning. My last gym was fine but now I live in a military/college town and the dudes over there are a little intense...
  • Ari112233
    Ari112233 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    Yes, I did a DVD last night with my husband in the room and felt pretty self conscious. At the end of the hour he said 'Im impressed'. So that was nice to hear. Honestly this he was mostly looking at his laptop.
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    this.

i was self conscious the first few times i took my sprint drills outside to the park. i'm sure people sitting around get a good show seeing me run back and forth, but whatevs, i like running sprint outdoors more than on a treadmill
  • JoshuaL86
    JoshuaL86 Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    I judge everyone while they work out. Who knows, I could be in your gym judging you. ;)
  • VelociMama
    VelociMama Posts: 3,119 Member
    Options
    I do water aerobics in the pool by myself, and sometimes people give me a funny look or two. You just gotta ignore it and do your thing.
  • angelajdavis42
    Options
    I sure do, glad to see I am not the only one. I won't even get near mirrors so I don't have to see myself.
  • sweetchildomine
    sweetchildomine Posts: 872 Member
    Options
    I feel weird when I'm at the gym but when it comes to my boyfriend, my mom, or any other family member, I don't care if I look dumb haha. They've seen me look worse. lol Just keep doing it and after awhile you'll get over it.
  • BeetleChe13
    BeetleChe13 Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    Oh my goodness yes! :embarassed: I can't even workout in the same room as my husband, and I exercise at home because I'm terrified of all the looks ppl give me at the gym. I'm a pretty introverted person anyway, and the body issues don't help. Rest assured, you're not alone. :drinker: The only time I don't worry about others is when I get to "run" outside... I'm too happy to even think about it. :laugh:
  • Duck_Puddle
    Duck_Puddle Posts: 3,224 Member
    Options
    I judge everyone while they work out. Who knows, I could be in your gym judging you. ;)

That's why you'd be in the shed with the dogs (j/k, i don't make the dogs sleep in the shed)
  • Texgal9816
    Texgal9816 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I do not do work out videos in front of anyone in my family (husband or 2 kids) I will usually go in my room and do them with the door closed so the dog won't come in and get in my way (he likes to pace if I'm moving around). If I do them with the husband in the room I feel like he's just watching me and as for the kids they seem to always need me when I am exercising (that's why I go in my room and tell them to give me (x) amount of time unless its an EMERGENCY) As for exercise equipment I will do that in front of people no problem.

*Edit- I should add my kids are 8 and 14 so they can entertain themselves for the time I am exercising.
  • JoshuaL86
    JoshuaL86 Posts: 403 Member
    Options

That's why you'd be in the shed with the dogs (j/k, i don't make the dogs sleep in the shed)

I'm already there! :D
  • marvybells
    marvybells Posts: 1,984 Member
    Options
    I do! I am uncoordinated & hate how i look in my workout clothes. So I only work out alone, at home, by myself. I tried the gym thing, it's not for me....
  • LooseWheel
    LooseWheel Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    Tried to overcome it by exercising with my sister in law. Was all ok until I stomped on the family dog! Back to just at home alone safely again!