Quack Quack, Dr. Oz!

Options

Replies

• VelociMama
    VelociMama Posts: 3,119 Member
    Options
    Yes but is he a real doctor or did he get his license from an cracker jack box. I have to wonder some days. I have tried diet pills myself and they so do not work at all. I lose but then I gain back twice as much. He truly is a fool.

He's actually ranked as being one of the top heart surgeons in the United States. His credentials are excellent as well. We all know there are always conflicting opinions, even amongst doctors when it comes to health and nutrition. Take anything you see on TV as a grain of salt.

None of that precludes him from being a money and fame grabbing snake oil salesman who has made MILLIONS from peddling pills and "diet" plans along with a ton of just horribly inaccurate or untested information on his show to people who think that his degrees and experience in the operation room make him a reliable source of information alone.

To me, it's WORSE because his credentials are so impressive. He's using that to pull the wool over people's faces to milk money from them, and he's been very successful at it.

In that regard, he is very clever indeed. Then again, most conmen are pretty smart too, otherwise they would suck at conning people.
  • Kwika
    Kwika Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    Quack is right. My doctor has flat out told me that there is no quick fix pill for being overweight. You have to eat right and exercise. Isn't that why we are all here, to help each other.
  • laineyluma
    laineyluma Posts: 358 Member
    Options
    It was obviously the green tea...

:wink:
  • FireRox21
    FireRox21 Posts: 424 Member
    Options
    Oh yeah. I am constantly telling my Mom that his "revolutions" don't work. Every time I go to Costco, she wants me to pick up the latest Dr. Oz miracle weight loss pill. I used to watch him, but then some of his "do this" schemes just got too hair-brained.

I feel the same way about "The Doctors". I used to watch them religiously, but then the sell-out started.
  • chubbygirl253
    chubbygirl253 Posts: 1,309 Member
    Options
    I've never seen a full episode and dont plan to. It was on in the waiting room when I took my mom for a pre-op appt and it made me really wonder how people can listen to him. Whatta quack
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    :brokenheart: i watch dr. oz every now & then. one time i was watching he gave a tip for green tea. if you brew it yourself & drank a lot of it a day it would help you in losing weight with a sensible diet & moderate exercise. well, i followed that advice, i drink 1 gallon of green tea a day. i am happy to say that i did lose 90 pounds as a result but that included proper diet & exercise. i am sorry people do not like dr oz but he gave me correct advice. since i have been on mfp i have lost another 38 pounds!

if i told you to stand on your head for 30 minutes every day, eat a sensible diet, and get moderate exercise and you ended up losing 90 lbs, would you then tell me that the secret to your weight loss was, in fact, that you stood on your head for 30 minutes every day?
    I think I'm going to start eating a doughnut a day, keeping it within my caloric deficit and exercising regularly - then lose a bunch of weight (due to the caloric deficit and exercise), at which point I'll sell my soul to one of the large doughnut chains to be their spokesman and tell the whole world that eating doughnuts makes you lose weight!!!

:rolleyes:
  • 970Mikaela1
    970Mikaela1 Posts: 2,013 Member
    Options
    Did somebody say donuts? nom nom nom nom nom nom nom nom nom nom nom nom nom Yummy donuts;)
  • FireRox21
    FireRox21 Posts: 424 Member
    Options
    *insert Homer Simpson voice* mmmmmmm...donuts....<---drools
  • JennyLisT
    JennyLisT Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    Conversations about Dr. Oz eventually seem to end up here:

oqm47.gif
  • VelociMama
    Options

oqm47.gif

That gif has no donuts. FAIL
  • WinnerVictorious
    WinnerVictorious Posts: 4,735 Member
    Options

oqm47.gif

082309-routine-donut-stop.jpg
  • VelociMama
    Options

oqm47.gif

082309-routine-donut-stop.jpg

Much better!
  • Skeebee
    Skeebee Posts: 740 Member
    Options
    You shouldn't ever trust anyone named Oz. Just ask Dorothy....
  • WinnerVictorious
    WinnerVictorious Posts: 4,735 Member
    Options
    Did somebody say donuts? nom nom nom nom nom nom nom nom nom nom nom nom nom Yummy donuts;)

13 noms, so 3 memes in 1

tumblr_m11k8v4OXV1qjntbd.gif
  • phyllisbobbitt
    phyllisbobbitt Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    :brokenheart: i watch dr. oz every now & then. one time i was watching he gave a tip for green tea. if you brew it yourself & drank a lot of it a day it would help you in losing weight with a sensible diet & moderate exercise. well, i followed that advice, i drink 1 gallon of green tea a day. i am happy to say that i did lose 90 pounds as a result but that included proper diet & exercise. i am sorry people do not like dr oz but he gave me correct advice. since i have been on mfp i have lost another 36 pounds!

Are you joking, or did you miss the part you wrote that I bolded? ;)
  • phyllisbobbitt
    phyllisbobbitt Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    :brokenheart: i watch dr. oz every now & then. one time i was watching he gave a tip for green tea. if you brew it yourself & drank a lot of it a day it would help you in losing weight with a sensible diet & moderate exercise. well, i followed that advice, i drink 1 gallon of green tea a day. i am happy to say that i did lose 90 pounds as a result but that included proper diet & exercise. i am sorry people do not like dr oz but he gave me correct advice. since i have been on mfp i have lost another 36 pounds!

Are you joking, or did you miss the part you wrote that I bolded? ;)
  • eris1981
    eris1981 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I have been telling people for years he is a sell out and a quack. No one believes me, if they put it on TV it must be true, right??? Ugh!

Well yes, if they put it on TV, it must be true! Also if it's on the internet, it can't be a lie. :laugh:
  • DebbieLyn63
    DebbieLyn63 Posts: 2,650 Member
    Options
    "Green Coffee Diet By Oz"

Free Botte - 800mg. As Seen on Oz. #1 Pure Green Coffee Bean Extract.

SubmitPressRelease123.com/Coffee

^
    ^
    and this ad is running at the bottom of this page :laugh:

Does the fact that MFP has all these ads for green coffee bean extract, raspberry ketones, medifast, and weightloss surgery take away the credibility of this site? We all understand that they sell the ad space to the quacks so that this site can remain free for us to use. Dr Oz's show is the same way. They have to put on all the hype and miracle stuff to keep the viewers watching and the sponsors happy. I don't watch the numerous shows on the latest weight loss miracles, but that is what middle America wants to see. However, he is a well-respected cardio surgeon and has great advice on Diabetes and Heart Health, and promotes good eating and exercise habits.
    If you strip away all the hype, he has actually helped a whole lot of people in their fight for better health. Unfortunately, too many people still want the quick fixes and will never be willing to actually put in the work to change their health.

But we shouldn't call him a quack and dismiss everything he stands for, just because he has to cow tow to the sponsors and the idiots that pay his salary and keep the show on the air.
    I wish his show was only once a week, then he wouldn't have to have so much filler fluff for the rest of the week.

It was actually his show on Diabetes, when he was still on Oprah, that explains the disease so well and helped me understand how to help my mom. We had a few more years with her because of that.
  • DebbieLyn63
    Options
    :brokenheart: i watch dr. oz every now & then. one time i was watching he gave a tip for green tea. if you brew it yourself & drank a lot of it a day it would help you in losing weight with a sensible diet & moderate exercise. well, i followed that advice, i drink 1 gallon of green tea a day. i am happy to say that i did lose 90 pounds as a result but that included proper diet & exercise. i am sorry people do not like dr oz but he gave me correct advice. since i have been on mfp i have lost another 38 pounds!

if i told you to stand on your head for 30 minutes every day, eat a sensible diet, and get moderate exercise and you ended up losing 90 lbs, would you then tell me that the secret to your weight loss was, in fact, that you stood on your head for 30 minutes every day?
    I think I'm going to start eating a doughnut a day, keeping it within my caloric deficit and exercising regularly - then lose a bunch of weight (due to the caloric deficit and exercise), at which point I'll sell my soul to one of the large doughnut chains to be their spokesman and tell the whole world that eating doughnuts makes you lose weight!!!

:rolleyes:

True story- years ago a man opened a donut shop beside my salon. He weighed around 400 pounds. A year later he had lost 150 pounds. I asked him how he managed to lose weight, in a donut shop, and he said he did it by eating donuts. That's all he ate. He worked the store 16 hours a day and just ate a donut or a kalache whenever he was hungry. I guess he got tired of them after a while and they lost their appeal. Really weird. But I would still not recommend a donut diet to anyone. Pretty much the same concept as the Twinkie diet, I assume.

Just had to share!
  • DebbieLyn63
    Options
    Many people who watch his show will never interact with people who are "in the know" so they will just believe it because of affiliation with Oprah. Fortunately there is reputable information passed on here by knowlegdeable people here.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

Unfortunately there is a lot of 'Bro Science' passed around on this site as well. As with anything, we have to do our own research and use some common sense.
    Don't believe everything you see on TV or on internet forums.