The Most Important Thing You Have Learned From MFP

Options
What's the most important thing you have learned on MFP? Mine is that you don't have to starve yourself to lose weight! Actually, it's much better if you don't!

Replies

• AllTehBeers
    AllTehBeers Posts: 5,030 Member
    Options
    Patience.

I told myself I would do this for a whole year and see what happened. 60 pounds went away.
  • Luthien007
    Luthien007 Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    Rule number 1- log in every day
  • CloverCreeper
    CloverCreeper Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    Calories matter. I used to underestimate my calories a lot of the time.
  • Dahllywood
    Dahllywood Posts: 642 Member
    Options
    Portion sizes / measurements. I was basically eating double-triple of what I thought I was. Even with fruits/veggies that adds up
  • YoungDoc2B
    YoungDoc2B Posts: 1,593 Member
    Options
    Gif's are funny
  • jgood21
    jgood21 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    excuses are really lame!
  • NCchar130
    NCchar130 Posts: 955 Member
    Options
    What's the most important thing you have learned on MFP? Mine is that you don't have to starve yourself to lose weight! Actually, it's much better if you don't!

What you said!

A few more:

1. Don't drink your calories.
    2. There isn't always a connection between calories in a serving of food and how satisfied/full I will feel if I choose to eat it. Food choices do matter in that respect.
    3. Condiments (ketchup, BBQ sauce, mayonnaise, salad dressing) have calories too, don't forget to log those.
    4. There's always room for a treat, if I really want it.
  • mambagirl
    mambagirl Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    Trust yourself and listen to your body! Everyone here has a different opinion on what works and whats bad....follow MFP's plan as written and take it from there instead of worrying about Scooby and them lol!!!!
  • BaileyBoo13524
    BaileyBoo13524 Posts: 593 Member
    Options
    That this is a lifestyle change and not a diet!
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options
    1. The calorie content of food and how much I need
    2. More heavy weights, less cardio
    3. Everybody has times when they step away from exercise for a week or two, just get back at it again, don't need to feel bad.
  • runningwoodpecker
    Options
    I learnt there is no such thing as 'Starvation mode'
  • Lns25
    Lns25 Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    Logging really keeps people on track.
  • SkimFlatWhite68
    SkimFlatWhite68 Posts: 1,254 Member
    Options
    Eat more to lose weight

Use the SEARCH feature in the message boards before posting anything - it has probably been answered before.

Read lots of posts and blogs - knowledge is power!
  • aimeelouwhite
    aimeelouwhite Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    There are calories in everything .... You have to log it all ... Pretty exactly. Drink lots of water
  • tommygirl15
    tommygirl15 Posts: 1,012 Member
    Options
    I learned the calorie counts of the foods I had been eating and it hit me like a giant dump truck. Tracking and logging have been the foundation of my success!
  • pkw58
    pkw58 Posts: 2,038 Member
    Options
    Rule number 1- log in every day

Amen. And for me, that means every day of my life ...
  • SkippyTheCangaroo
    Options
    Biscuits and little treats are calorie bombs no matter how tiny the slices are!
    I have learnt to listen to my body, to eat when I feel hungry and to stop when I'm satisfied. It takes a week or so to activate this feeling once again, because when you just eat when you feel like it, it goes mute.
    And I also learnt to estimate the amount of calories in each food an to eat healthier!
  • DesertDriver
    Options
    That there are other people out there with the same ambitions as myself and it is just as important to give motivation & support as it is to receive it!
  • fotofreak01
    fotofreak01 Posts: 397 Member
    Options
    That MFP is NOT Facebook so it's totally okay for me to add completely random people and that if I didn't, I'd have no one to hold me accountable and help motivate me to take this a day at a time.
  • abrahamsitososa
    abrahamsitososa Posts: 716 Member
    Options
    I've learned not to debate with people. Voice your opinion or response to the OP and ignore people with opposing views. Opinions are like a-holes, everybody has one.