Couch to 5k

Replies

• PixieGoddess
    PixieGoddess Posts: 1,833 Member
    Sorry if this question sounds dumb.....When it tells you to run, are you supposed to run really hard, like you're being chased or something, or are you supposed to jog? I'm new to running and I'm not sure what sort of pace to have with the running part. Also, with the walking, are you supposed to be walking at a brisk pace or slower?

You should jog, not sprint. The rule of thumb is that you should be able to hold a conversation while jogging.
  • loril13
    loril13 Posts: 320 Member
    Sorry if this question sounds dumb.....When it tells you to run, are you supposed to run really hard, like you're being chased or something, or are you supposed to jog? I'm new to running and I'm not sure what sort of pace to have with the running part. Also, with the walking, are you supposed to be walking at a brisk pace or slower?

You should jog, not sprint. The rule of thumb is that you should be able to hold a conversation while jogging.

^^ This.
    I found as I progressed through the program my speed just naturally improved. On the longer runs, I had to slow myself down so I could run the entire thing and not add in my own walk break.
    The first few runs s*cked. I thought I'd never live through the 60 and 90 second jog intervals. You can do it. You'll feel amazing with the accomplishment as you are able to run for longer and longer.

And the walking should be a good brisk pace.
  • jigglewiggles
    jigglewiggles Posts: 173 Member

^^ This.
    I found as I progressed through the program my speed just naturally improved. On the longer runs, I had to slow myself down so I could run the entire thing and not add in my own walk break.
    The first few runs s*cked. I thought I'd never live through the 60 and 90 second jog intervals. You can do it. You'll feel amazing with the accomplishment as you are able to run for longer and longer.

And the walking should be a good brisk pace.

Thanks for the tips!! I just downloaded this app, and can't wait to start using it.
  • pet1127
    pet1127 Posts: 572 Member
    LOL...BOTH! ;-)
    You will love the c25k program. I graduated and did my 5k faster than what I could do on my treadmill at home despite being outdoors with hills and an unscheduled potty stop in the woods!!! I got a bit razzed by ONE person here on MFP because I "woggled" it. (walk/jogged). With the hills I couldn't quite run the whole thing, but everyone else has been marvelously supportive. I would say GO FOR IT!!!

lmao I am a woggeler too NO shame in it lol
    I run the whole 5 km now but the WALKERS pass me!!
    Im lapping anyone still on the couch
  • elka67
    elka67 Posts: 268 Member
    If you're going to be training on the treadmill, have your incline set at at least 2%. This will make the transition to running outside much easier! Good luck!
    I just looked at the c25k treadmill programme and came here to ask about incline, but found your post. Thanks :)
  • Cinflo58
    Cinflo58 Posts: 326 Member
    Read what Wombat said. I just realized I am doing it wrong and I hit a wall on week 7. I signed up for a 3K race in march so I am not giving up. Also, you should sign up for the race and sign up with somebody if you can. That way you are accountable to them as well as yourself.
    I signed up with a friend and won't let her down - although I want to let myself down

You should be able to run a 3K by then, but you can always walk part if you have to

Good Luck! Running really burns calories!
  • Cinflo58
    Cinflo58 Posts: 326 Member
    I am probably a wogger too. I didn't realize how slow I was until I ran on the treadmill. I "jog" at 4.0-4.5 mph
  • wombat94
    wombat94 Posts: 352 Member
    I am probably a wogger too. I didn't realize how slow I was until I ran on the treadmill. I "jog" at 4.0-4.5 mph

It's really not a problem at first to run slowly... this program is really about building the endurance to run for health and fitness... it's not about speed.

I don't know if I said this in my other post, but the one thing I dislike about C25K is the idea associated with it that at the end of the 9 weeks you should be able to run 5K in 30 minutes... in my experience, maybe, MAYBE 5 - 10% of truly beginning runners can run 5K that fast after 9 weeks. It took me 10 months of running and nearly 800 total miles covered before i ran my first sub-30 minute 5K.

4 mph is 15 minute miles. 4.5 mph would be about 13:xx minute miles. In my experience, that is right around where you should be at this point in C25K.

I really ran C25K too fast... coming in close to 12 minute miles at the end of the 9 weeks. I had a tough time extending my distance after that, though until I slowed down more - dropping back to 13+ minute miles as I worked up to 10K. Only after running for about 5 - 6 months did I start to speed up, to the point now where my shorter runs are generally at an easy, conversational pace when I am running 11 minute miles... running that fast 9 months ago would have had me literally gasping for breath.

Patience is the key with distance running... pace will come as your body gets fitter and better.

In my opinion, rule 1 of C25K should be "SLOW DOWN"... if you wonder why a run is hard for you, see rule 1. Slow down, conquer the distance, and then slowly you can start to think about speeding up once you've reached a new target distance.

Ted
  • holliesmith9484
    holliesmith9484 Posts: 20 Member
    I am interested in this. What does it actually require you to do daily for the nine weeks?
    [/quote

Try this link..it gives you exactly what you need to do.

/www.beginnertriathlete.com/Programs/agressive_program.htm
  • dulcitonia
    dulcitonia Posts: 278 Member
    I just started this program. I love my elliptical and did a few workouts the program to push myself on the machine and loved it. However, running is much different. I did day1 of week one outside yesterday (hilly terrain) my Iliopsoas muscle is so sore! That is a muscle that lifts your knee which is something you don't work much on the elliptical!
  • fightininggirl
    fightininggirl Posts: 792 Member
    I've done two of them. both were 12 weeks
  • Pixie8504
    Pixie8504 Posts: 174 Member
    I started week 8 this morning. Not too far off to the finish
  • determinedbutlazy
    determinedbutlazy Posts: 1,941 Member
    I've done C25K twice now, once on treadmill and once outside. I love the programme and it really works. I run every other day for about two miles now, and my average mile is down to about 11 mins (5.11mph). I love running, it transformed my body and my cardiac fitness... I stopped snoring, my posture is better, it's a great stress reliever.
    HOWEVER it is HARD. I wanted to give up so many times, but I was determined. I wasn't going to let this thing beat me. And I loved the idea of "levelling up" (like a computer game!) every week.

Once you've killed it on the treadmill, take it outside and do it again. It's a totally different experience.

I would say go for the 3K for sure. I wasn't much good at all in my first 5K (during my second runthrough) but the second one I did... It all fell into place and I ran the race in 32mins.

If you need anyone to support, please add me :)
  • clhutch76
    clhutch76 Posts: 24 Member
    I'm doing my first 5K June 1st here in KC it's the color run and I"m super excited. I'm using Zen Labs Couch to 5K program also, I like it because I can use the music on my phone along with the app. I'm starting from zero activity and someone had suggested doing each week twice if need be. So I'm going to try that. I had started back in November and got to week three and was struggling then came down with strep throat twice and haven't been back to the gym. My outline as of right now is to walk the rest of January to get back into a gym routine and then start the program over Feb 1. I should be good to go by June 1 :) Good luck to everyone and their goals !
  • xidia
    xidia Posts: 606 Member
    When you start c25k, if you can run any slower, you're running too fast. You're training your aerobic endurance, and that's about very slow, low perceived effort. If you're panting, you're probably not working aerobically. I find that pacing myself was the hardest part about learning to run, but eventually settled into a stride-breathing rhythm. If I've got 5 footfalls per in-and-out breathing cycle, that's a sustainable pace for miles. If I've got 4, that's ok for a few minutes. If I've got 3, I'm either on a hill or doing intervals. And if I've got 6, I'm slacking off big time!

Your numbers may vary,, but the principle will work. My 4-footfall pace went from 11:30 plus to 10:21 min/mile over 3 months with me doing nothing but running if my breathing and gradually increasing my distances.
  • haileybailey5
    haileybailey5 Posts: 17 Member
    These are all so inspiring to read! I just started Week 1 Day 1 today! While I wouldn't define it as enjoyable, I wouldn't define it as terrible either. I'm excited to see how all of us do, good luck everyone!
  • aj445
    aj445 Posts: 183 Member
    I agree. Sign up for the 5k! That is plenty of time to build up to finishing a 5k. My son (6) and I did one in September. We did a lot walking, then running, then walking etc. He finished it in 39 minutes, and we weren't last lol. It was so much fun.
  • TiredMom12
    TiredMom12 Posts: 78 Member
    I just signed up for my first 5k in Feb and can't wait. I haven't completed the program b/c I went back to week 7 day 3 a few times b/c I wasn't able to get to the gym or run. But I am running 3 miles and now that I can do the 5k in February. I have 2 more days to complete the program and then will try to do a training program for 5ks that I found online the next few weeks. I am super excited to do this run and think it will be the first of many!
  • loril13
    loril13 Posts: 320 Member
    These are all so inspiring to read! I just started Week 1 Day 1 today! While I wouldn't define it as enjoyable, I wouldn't define it as terrible either. I'm excited to see how all of us do, good luck everyone!

It sounds funny, but I found Week 1 more horrible than I found Week 9. Those first 60 seconds redefined my pown personal hell. Now I enjoy going out for a 30 minute run. I am working on the 5k to 10k program. I am expecting another new definition soon.
  • aswearingen22
    aswearingen22 Posts: 271 Member
    It sounds funny, but I found Week 1 more horrible than I found Week 9. Those first 60 seconds redefined my pown personal hell. Now I enjoy going out for a 30 minute run. I am working on the 5k to 10k program. I am expecting another new definition soon.

You reminded me of my favorite running quote "My sport is your sports punishment"! ;) You know, run laps if you screw up!hehe