The Most Important Thing You Have Learned From MFP

Options

Replies

• NeverGivesUp
    NeverGivesUp Posts: 960 Member
    Options
    friends on MFP inspire, care. help, keep you on track, and are the best motivator every time you log in. It is so much esier to jump back on that horse when you see people working their butts off and talking about their inspirations and struggles. I am not alone and that is the best feeling in the world!!
  • Duck_Puddle
    Duck_Puddle Posts: 3,237 Member
    Options
    I learned that I am an above-average speller.

And that there are startling numbers of people that don't know the difference between your and you're, too and to, loose and lose, there and their and they're, etc.
  • michmich805
    Options
    How sometimes it better to plan your meals around the calorie counter. This also let you know how many calories you have left for you day. How much I was overeating.......
  • Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options
    that when people lose any amount of weight, they also automatically become qualified marriage counselors, fitness instructors, nutritionists and are able to immediately diagnose eating disorders based on a stranger's single statement
  • EvelynBfly78
    EvelynBfly78 Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    Something so simple as calories in vs calories out.
    Starvation isn't necessary. Strict dieting is not the way to go. I can allow for treats if I make room in my daily meal plans. It's lifestyle changes that matter.
    Logging in every day is important for me so I don't guesstimate on what I'm eating.
    Practicing portion control. I had no idea about the size of some portions. I was eating twice & three times the amount of what I was eating on some foods.
    It's not only the numbers on the scale. NSV's are an important part of weight loss.
  • neverstray
    neverstray Posts: 3,845 Member
    Options
    1. Terms like twatwaffle and butthurt.
    2. The importance and overall usefulness of compound lifts.
    3. The differences of building muscle and losing fat, eating at a deficit, and eating at a surplus and how those things work.
    4. How scales are only a part if the puzzle, but that you have to measure other things to see the whole picture.
    5. How weight loss is not linear or a straight line.
    6. What a macro nutrient is and why it is important.
    7. That, to a large degree, most people really do not understand weight loss and nutrition at all. Which explains why obesity is such an issue. And, the media doesn't help because they perpetuate all the myths. It's sad.
    8. That many people over 40 think its impossible to lose weight and look good, and I can't tell you how proud I am at 47 to break into those threads and tell them to stop whining and start tracking.
    9. How awesome this community can be.
  • ChristinaR720
    Options
    * Water is your friend--sodium, not so much (although you do need SOME to survive).
    * Protein is your friend--especially lean protein.
    * Just because the number on the scale isn't changing, doesn't mean that what you're doing isn't working. Losing inches matters, too!
    * Don't feel guilty about going over your calories or not exercising for one day. Tomorrow is a new day!
    * Don't define your happiness and self worth by the number on the scale. Part of changing your lifestyle is changing the way you see yourself, too!
  • KyleB65
    KyleB65 Posts: 1,196 Member
    Options
    Drink LOTS of water!
  • elisa123gal
    elisa123gal Posts: 4,306 Member
    Options
    i have yet to learn what i love most because i'm just starting to really work at losing weight. For starters,,,,

1. i love mfp tracking system and basic set up..it is the best I've seen and i've been on spark people, six week body makeover and a few others.

2. i've decided to trust mfp settings and ignore the many mixed ideas everyone has on losing weight in the forums. I figure the creators of the site know more.

3. What i like most is that i think by using this tool I will come to grips with how much i can truly eat and need to exercise to maintain my goal weight. no more fads and tricks.
  • mylee69
    mylee69 Posts: 15
    Options
    Plan your meal and log it before you eat it. Shows me if I need to leave out that dressing that I thought was harmless, or reduce my portion size before I eat it. It beats regretting what I have just eaten and beating myself up over it, because trust me when I feel like that I am more inclined to "pig out'. :smile:
  • Lift_This_
    Lift_This_ Posts: 2,756 Member
    Options
    I have learned that I have the greatest group of friends ever!!! but i kinda knew that from the beginning.
  • EvelynBfly78
    EvelynBfly78 Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    I learned that I am an above-average speller.

And that there are startling numbers of people that don't know the difference between your and you're, too and to, loose and lose, there and their and they're, etc.

And the difference between then and than, weigh and weight and weighed. It's amazing how many people can't spell protein (protien) even though it's one of the macros MFP has listed on the daily logging chart.
  • mrso97
    mrso97 Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    that tasting everything that i am cooking adds up...that i CAN exercise and LOVE it...and that after all of these years...i CAN run!!
  • GAsoulstar
    GAsoulstar Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Being more consistent!!!!:bigsmile:
  • sandobr1
    sandobr1 Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    That I will probably have to keep track of food intake forever in some method or means. When I had done WW in the past I did well as soon as I stopped logging/keeping track the weight came back on, something about seeing it and planning it works wonders for me.

I know I have learned tons in my 5 months here but that is absolutely first and key for me.
  • TheRealParisLove
    TheRealParisLove Posts: 1,907 Member
    Options
    I learned that grain based foods have a LOT of calories and aren't very satisfying. I eat very few grain based foods these days.
  • TheRealParisLove
    TheRealParisLove Posts: 1,907 Member
    Options
    that when people lose any amount of weight, they also automatically become qualified marriage counselors, fitness instructors, nutritionists and are able to immediately diagnose eating disorders based on a stranger's single statement

Well, sometimes untrained experts do get it right. Too much time in a structured education environment will close the mind to outside possibilities. Outside the box thinking is lacking in academia.
  • OddballExtreme
    OddballExtreme Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    I learned some basic HTML coding, and how to find and utilize the snarkiest gifs.
    That reminds me, I know how to do things for images, but what's the code for links to pages, videos, etc.? :ohwell:
  • neverstray
    neverstray Posts: 3,845 Member
    Options
    That you are not supposed to correct someone that says, "I can't loose wait"

So, I've decided that I just simply do not respond to those people because honestly, I really don't know what they are trying to communicate.
  • boatsie77
    boatsie77 Posts: 480 Member
    Options
    That honestly logging your food daily leads to successful weight loss

That many of the most successful people have a photo of themselves walking/running a 5K (with a huge smile on their face). They also realize that diets are temporary and a waste of time, money and effort. Success only comes when you love yourself at whatever weight you are and live the rest of your life eating healthy most of the time and exercising most days of the week.

That most all of the unsuccessful people are trying to lose weight for someone else or some special event in the future. They also berate themselves, hate themselves and believe that once they get skinny, all their problems will vanish and they'll live happily ever after.