Does anyone not like counting fruit and veg?

Options

Replies

• DavidHills123
    Options
    I prefer to eat natural health supplements instead.
  • chervil6
    chervil6 Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    No... different 'diets' follow different concepts whereas this is calorie counting... so count calories, all calories. 2 pieces of fruit is near 200 cals...

it depends on the fruit :)
  • RaurieLeigh
    Options
    Yeah every 25 calories was a point. If it was 30 calories, I'd say 1 point. If it were 40 calories, I'd say it was 2 points. Also in that, it gave me 1000 calories to play with, plus 2 free fruit and all the free veg I wanted. This site gives me 1,200 calories to play with.

I lost a lot of weight with the other diet.
  • lovechicagobears
    lovechicagobears Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    I think I should do that too. I added broccoli into my pasta to bulk it out and make it a bigger meal. I don't feel like I should count it, or I might as well have added more pasta.

That math doesn't work. 100 calories of broccoli is a huge amount of food compared to 100 calories of pasta.

That's why it's better to go with the veggies. You'll get full and stay full for fewer calories.

You could have a small brownie OR three apples. That's why it's best to count the veggies and fruit. You'll see that you can eat so much more food for so few calories.

wsade.jpg
  • RaurieLeigh
    Options
    Thanks! I think you've been the most helpful!! I'm the same, I think it's common sense. The diet I followed last time made me count bananas and sweetcorn for whatever reason, but not apples or carrots. I think I'm going to keep doing it. I've eaten pretty much all my calories for the day and I'd fall off the wagon if I didn't know I could snack on veggies later tonight.
  • ladyshills
    Options
    I count everything since a calorie is a calorie no matter what... I hate counting the cream in my coffee though! I've also done weight watchers & they don't count fruit. However, many of my WW friends end up eating so much fruit because it's "free" that their weight loss slows down. You are only cheating yourself by not counting every lick, bite or taste. :)
  • Bob314159
    Bob314159 Posts: 1,178 Member
    Options
    You can use a shortcut on vegetables, for most vegetables, [but not dense starchy ones, like potatoes] just put in 100 calories for the day. You could try "Salad - Mixed Vegetables" - 6 servings OR
    "*Fresh - Mixed Vegetables" - 2.5 servings

For fruit,you do really need to count each serving exactly.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    if I have used all my calories for the day, I can still have some veggies or fruit later on.

If you eat over you calorie allowance you may not lose weight... If you eat over your maintenance you will put weight on, even if is fruit and veg you are eating.
  • lamby284
    lamby284 Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    I go by the number of cups of each that I need which is 2 cups fruit and 2½ cups of veggies per day. It's pretty easy to keep up with cuz I mainly use bags of frozen produce.
  • Deipneus
    Deipneus Posts: 1,862 Member
    Options
    I count fruit and vegetables. If I didn't, I'd under count my calories by 25%.
  • jeanninecurran
    jeanninecurran Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    I gained weight because I was a compulsive over eater. The new weight watcher diet doesn't make you count fruit or veggies. I know myself-I would fill a bathtub full of fruit and eat all day. I definately count my fruit and veggies now and I have consistently lost a lb a week just like MFP promised when I started.
  • KareninCanada
    KareninCanada Posts: 797 Member
    Options
    You might do better with Weight Watchers than MFP, then, because that is their system. This one is strictly calorie-based.
  • nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    Options
    That's how weigh watchers used to do it, but some 'veggies' (avocados) or fruit (mangos) have tons of calories. When they changed to make all veggies and fruits equal and unlimited, people stopped losing weight.

Count them. Slow your weight loss goals if you need more calories.
  • XXXMinnieXXX
    XXXMinnieXXX Posts: 3,459 Member
    Options
    I don't get this logic. Your counting calories so you should count everything. Days where I have potatoes and fruit such as bananas I can easily eat 5 or 600 calories of vegetables. That's a lot of calories to ignore. Tracking them also allows me to know I've eaten all my fiber and shows me of I've gone over my carbs or not.

If your finding you've used all your calories and your still hungry increase your calories a little. Food... Settings... Goals... Change goals... Manual...

Better to be honest and they you can see what has or has not worked for you.

Zara
  • ravenchick
    ravenchick Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    I count everything. Some fruits are kind of high in calories.
  • katy84o
    katy84o Posts: 744 Member
    Options
    I count everything. Not just for calories but to track my other nutrients too. But do whatever you want, whatever will help you stick to a good plan and reach goals.
  • katweeks63
    Options
    Fruits and veggies are the keys to loosing weight. I don't think it will hurt for you not to log them, but you are only hiding it from yourself. If that works for you then do it. It's the bad stuff that causes you to gain or keep weight on. Just keep the rest of your diet clean, lean meats, grilled & saute'd, stay away from sauces and high carb & sugary foods.

Fruits and veggies are your friends. I ate a lot of veggies when I was at the hight of my weight loss. And I remember eating bananas late at night to curb my cravings and waking up the next morning, stepping on the scales and seeing a loss.

Good luck.
  • Firefox7275
    Firefox7275 Posts: 2,040 Member
    Options
    Thanks! I think you've been the most helpful!! I'm the same, I think it's common sense. The diet I followed last time made me count bananas and sweetcorn for whatever reason, but not apples or carrots. I think I'm going to keep doing it. I've eaten pretty much all my calories for the day and I'd fall off the wagon if I didn't know I could snack on veggies later tonight.

Bananas and corn have a fair amount of sugar in and it is very available to the body, raw carrots and apples less gram for gram and they are low on the glycaemic index (longer to digest, gentler on the blood sugar). Wasn't this explained in the book, why are you following diets you don't understand?
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    I normally count veggies, but sometimes I don't worry about it. I always log fruit though. Not logging fruit would be not logging candy.
  • Oishii
    Oishii Posts: 2,675 Member
    Options
    I was worried that, with just calorie counting, I was reducing my fruit and veg consumption to make sure there was room for ice cream etc. So I tried reducing my calories by 250kcal and not logging fruit and veg.

It didn't work because I still wasn't eating 250kcal of fruit and veg and got too hungry, but it might work for someone else.

If you're too hungry, try upping your activity level or reducing your weight loss goal, as previously mentioned, so that you can eat the veg anyway.