I'm starting a tea fast soon, anyone want to join me?

Options

Replies

• Lodipatsy
    Options
    I am willing to try have never done one before we will see if I can stick too it
  • Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options
    I am willing to try have never done one before we will see if I can stick too it

just amazing
  • My0WNinspiration
    My0WNinspiration Posts: 1,146 Member
    Options
    :yawn:
  • Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Options
    Fasting gives people bad breath.

obviously that is all the toxins leaving the body through the mouth

duh

Now that you have pointed it out, it IS obvious. :wink:
  • foleyshirley
    foleyshirley Posts: 1,043 Member
    Options
    It is funny how people chime in with the starvation mode concern and the unhealthyness of fasting. I think being obese or overweight on a daily basis exceeds the risk of periodic daily fasting. In addition, I can imagine a lot of people are against this periodic fasting due to the actual inability and lack of self control to do a challenge like this. In addition, I am not a doctor but I don't think 96 hours of fasting is going to be tradgic to ones metabolism or their long term health. At least they are staying hydrated.

Current scientific literature seems to support short term fasting. All studies either point to fasting being beneficial, or to having no effect whatsoever.

The oh-my-gawd-starvation-mode-you're-gonna-die bullsh*t is complete bro-science and wives tales.

Correct! Fasting is now scientifically proven to heal the body & extend life! Unless you are underweight , near goal weight or have a medical condition such as diabetes or heart failure a 3 day fast will do more good than harm. Modern culture and big bucks in the food industry would have us believe we need 3 square meals a day every day to thrive. We don't, we all, me included eat far far too much!
    I would join you myself but I already have a 5:3 ratio restricted calorie (0-500max) day lifestyle..which my GP approves off and am happily losing weight on...and with improving health!!!

Fasting has not been scientifically proven to extend life in humans. It is being studied, but there is no definitive proof it works in humans. Unless you have a journal article from a reputable source.
  • Doodlewhopper
    Doodlewhopper Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options
    Fasting is controversial and several here are totally delusional and looking for the "pie in the sky", their arguments are rhetorical based with little or no real facts.

The below quotes are from the Mayo Clinic.

<<<Skipping meals or fasting is safe on occasion, but it could undermine weight-management efforts.>>> --http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/fasting-and-food/MY02157

<<<there's little evidence that detox diets actually remove toxins from the body. Indeed, the kidneys and liver effectively filter and eliminate most ingested toxins. The benefits from a detox diet may actually come from avoiding highly processed foods that have solid fats and added sugar.>>> --http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/detox-diets/AN01334

<<<Also for dieters, "the news is not as good as you might think" on fasting, said Dr. Raymond Gibbons of the Mayo Clinic, a former heart association president.
    "Fasting resets the metabolic rate," slowing it down to adjust to less food and forcing the body to store calories as soon as people resume eating, Gibbons said. That is true for total fasting, but fasts of one two two days can increase metabolism and general health as well as long as enough calories are consumed during the period.>>>
    --http://healthtopical.com/general-discussion-3/general-3-1864.html
  • runningwild00
    Options
    Is it safe to fast for 4 days? That seems like a long time!!
  • denisefortner
    Options
    How does it work? I am definately in!
  • Veganniee
    Veganniee Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    If I could be the kind of person that could fast for 3-4 days, I wouldn't have got to the point where I need to diet at all. I just wonder why people want to do it. If you have that amount of willpower then just stick to a certain amount of calories each day and you'll lose weight.
  • juicy_cat
    juicy_cat Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    Fasting gives people bad breath.

obviously that is all the toxins leaving the body through the mouth

duh

think you just made that up Dave...
  • nguk123
    nguk123 Posts: 223
    Options
    If I could be the kind of person that could fast for 3-4 days, I wouldn't have got to the point where I need to diet at all. I just wonder why people want to do it. If you have that amount of willpower then just stick to a certain amount of calories each day and you'll lose weight.

Curious isn't it? I expect that its explained by high-time preference, i.e. impatience to see results. Relatively adverse to the delay of gratification.

Contrast:
    I want to loose weight now now now.
    I want to eat something delicious now now now
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    Not a big fan of fasting but what kind of teas will you be drinking? I might be interested. I'm at the hospital and there's nothing healthy here so fasting sounds like my best option at the moment.
    Please tell me that "at the hospital" means you are visiting someone and NOT that you are either a patient (in which case, you shouldn't be fasting) or a medical professional (in which case, you should know better AND prolonged fasting could cause you to make a bad choice for one of your patients).

My baby is in the hospital. My son. And fasting is not a bad thing but I'm really not in the mood to debate this topic. I actually think it's a very healthy habit to fast once in a while to cleanse the body. It's debatable and controversial no doubt about it.
    Please don't go days without food when your child most needs you to be clear-headed. :-(
  • Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Options
    How does it work? I am definately in!

You should maybe find out how it works before agreeing to it. Just some friendly advice from someone who has learned this lesson the hard way.
  • abrahamsitososa
    abrahamsitososa Posts: 716 Member
    Options
    Putting the fasting argument aside, it seems like it would dehydrate you. Tea can have a lot of caffeine in it.

I agree with you on this. Green Tea does contain caffeine. I'm going to do horsetail and lemongrass.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    Putting the fasting argument aside, it seems like it would dehydrate you. Tea can have a lot of caffeine in it.

I agree with you on this. Green Tea does contain caffeine. I'm going to do horsetail and lemongrass.
    There is not nearly enough caffeine to cause dehydration.

*sigh*
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/water/NU00283 - any beverage counts

"beverages such as milk and juice are composed mostly of water. Even beer, wine and caffeinated beverages — such as coffee, tea or soda — can contribute"

http://www.jacn.org/content/19/5/591.short - -any beverage counts

"This preliminary study found no significant differences in the effect of various combinations of beverages on hydration status of healthy adult males. Advising people to disregard caffeinated beverages as part of the daily fluid intake is not substantiated by the results of this study."

http://europepmc.org/abstract/MED/12834577 - the diuretic effect of caffeine is minimal

"...nor does it cause significant dehydration or electrolyte imbalance during exercise."

http://europepmc.org/abstract/MED/12187618 - the diuretic effect of caffeine is minimal

"The literature indicates that caffeine consumption stimulates a mild diuresis similar to water, but there is no evidence of a fluid-electrolyte imbalance that is detrimental to exercise performance or health"

"Investigations comparing caffeine (100-680 mg) to water or placebo seldom found a statistical difference in urine volume."
  • drmerc
    drmerc Posts: 2,603 Member
    Options
    This sounds just crazy enough to work
  • CoderGal
    CoderGal Posts: 6,800 Member
    Options
    why is this under nutrition? not nutritional at all :huh:
  • firstsip
    firstsip Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    Should I drink only English Breakfast because you can't lose weight without breakfast?
  • Crankstr
    Crankstr Posts: 3,958 Member
    Options
    arfarfarf!

eat right
    work hard
    rinse
    repeat
This discussion has been closed.