Time of grieving..

Options
I didn't know where else to post this. Last night my husbands grandfather passed away. It was peaceful, my mother in law said. She was holding his hand as he slept, and he just...never woke up. When we were still living in Arizona, we were over at their place 2-3 times a week, playing a card game called "Hand and Foot" that they taught to me. They took care of me when i was 8 months pregnant (and one strict bedrest)and my husband had to leave for work for a week. Grandpa Wally was the 3rd person in the world to hold my little girl, Autumn. I am not able to attend his funeral. We had only enough money to send my husband, so this is how I am going to grieve this week.

R.I.P Wallace Howe

This is grandpa, holding our newborn baby Autumn

2w23t68.jpg

You were well loved, and will be sorely missed....

Replies

• lisa811
    lisa811 Posts: 363
    Options
    My condolences...I'm sorry for your loss. It's so hard when you can't be at the services to say goodbye. Find your own special way.

Funny, he looks SO much like my Grandpa!! Amazing resemblance. He passed in 1994, hard to believe.
  • AndreeT
    AndreeT Posts: 191
    Options
    So sorry about your loss. That is one precious picture. Keep your chin up. My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family.
  • kendrafallon
    kendrafallon Posts: 1,030 Member
    Options
    i'm so sorry for you loss, may he rest in peace x
  • MTGirl
    MTGirl Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options
    I'm so sorry for your loss! What a sweet man - reminds me of my step-dad. When he goes, it'll be a tough one. So sorry that you won't be able to attend the funeral - that is difficult. Sending you hugs and warm wishes. :heart:

I had some good friends I used to play hand and foot with. Good memories!
  • blondie76
    blondie76 Posts: 552 Member
    Options
    so sorry for your loss!!
  • 8turboturtle8
    8turboturtle8 Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    I am so sorry for your loss and am sending you a big hug!!! He will forever be close to your heart and that love makes me wish I knew my grandparents better.
  • jessicajoy87
    Options
    I will be praying for your family. Sorry for your loss.
  • Chuck1223
    Chuck1223 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I'm so sorry for your loss, I grieve with you.
  • CasperO
    CasperO Posts: 2,913 Member
    Options
    A life well lived is its' own reward. Bless him, and you too.

Tell us more about him. Besides loving and caring for a family, what else did he do? Hobbies? What was important to him?
  • KalB
    KalB Posts: 42
    Options
    Wish I was there to give you real hugs honey. You did the right thing sending him even if it doesnt feel like it right now. He was a great man who now can rest. And now Autumn has one of the greatest guardian angles ever. I love you and all of yours. And Im here for you day or night. You will find a way to grieve and it will be the perfect way for you to say goodbye.
  • ♥seoid♥
    ♥seoid♥ Posts: 476
    Options
    My thoughts and prayers honey.......
  • gmvanloo
    gmvanloo Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    I'm so sorry for your loss! I lost my grandpa about 2 years ago and I miss him everyday! I know that he's in a better place and watches over me each day.

Just remember all the wonderful times you had together. Don't worry, he knows you're thinking of him!
  • sarahsmom1
    sarahsmom1 Posts: 1,501 Member
    Options
    He looks like a lovely man. Just be thankful he was in your life and you daughter was lucky enough to meet him.
  • byHISstrength
    byHISstrength Posts: 984 Member
    Options
    May God comfort you and the family with His peace. I pray that you would feel the loving arms of the heavenly Father as you go through this grieving process...that you wouldn't feel alone, but are confident that God is with you. He loves you and desire you to rely on Him for all.

"Cast all your cares on Him, for He cares for you." ~ 1 Peter 5:7
  • ltlhmom
    ltlhmom Posts: 1,202 Member
    Options
    Hugs! Sorry for your loss! He sounds like a wonderful man who was loved by many! Now he is watching over you all! :heart:
  • TheMotherAwesome
    TheMotherAwesome Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    I'm so sorry for your loss, friend. <3
  • shellshalla
    shellshalla Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    I'll be thinking of you during this hard time. We're all here for you!
  • thomlora
    thomlora Posts: 16
    Options
    Sorry for your loss, will lift you and your husband up in my prayers...
  • TalonaCat
    TalonaCat Posts: 241
    Options
    A life well lived is its' own reward. Bless him, and you too.

Tell us more about him. Besides loving and caring for a family, what else did he do? Hobbies? What was important to him?

He loved Nascar, and card games. He used to protect the quail that congregated around his house, which was feat because he lived in a secluded area. He'd feed them, too. A few times a day, bird seed and left over vegetables and fruits. He was a devout mormon man, and found room in his heart for everyone he met. When I stayed with him that week, and i couldn't sleep.. he'd wake up around 2 without fail, and say,"Well, c'mon ma'am. It's raisin bran time." And then we'd play another card game called 80 Center, and laugh until we both got tired again and one of us called the game, not because we were losing, but because we were ready to go to bed. He also had a small company out of Arizona, he'd weld these little metal statues of cowboys and other things that were really adorable, and he'd sell them to small businesses.

He loved John Wayne (We all called him Wallace Wayne when he was in a mischevious mood). He loved old western movies, even if they didn't include John Wayne.

His guilty pleasure was a snickers and a diet pepsi every once in awhile. And how he reveled in it!

He was retired navy, and very proud of his service with them.

His family was everything to him, even if he did pick on everyone pretty relentllessly. :)

I remember once sitting with him at a window in his den for hours.. because he was so amused with watching the contruction people up the hill trying to move dirt. Normally, this would be boring, but ever minute or so he would say something about them that would make me laugh so hard i would cry. He'd even handed me a pair of binoculars that matched the ones he was holding when we first sat down. It was like watching a funny movie.

I also remember once after being thrown from a horse, I walked into his house for a bandaid or two and he says to me,"So.. how's the horse look?"

He was great... :)
  • candicemcl
    Options
    My condolences to you, I lost my grandma a HUGE impression on my life Nov.30/09 and its so hard. I am sorry you won't be able to attend the funeral, but look back on your pictures and remember the life he was and all the love and joy he brought to your life, now he rests peacefully leaving many who loved him behind.
    Candice