Who else here loves to shop at Aldi's?

Options
It is such a great place to get a lot of staples in your fridge if you're on a budget. Don't be fooled by the "Fit and Active" label they carry, however, because those can have insanely high sodium mg's and more calories than if you'd buy the regular brand.

I don't always buy their fresh veggies, though, like their peppers. I've always noticed that their peppers tend to go bad quicker than if I had bought them somewhere else. But stuff in the fridge like their romaine leaves? I've never had a problem with them. I'll stick to Kroger's for the rest of my veggies. Has anybody else noticed that, too?

Replies

• MrsWilsoncroft
    MrsWilsoncroft Posts: 969 Member
    Options
    Aldi and Lidl are great to stock up on fruit, veg and cupboard staples. I love it :)
  • kokoforskinny
    kokoforskinny Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    I love shopping Aldis for non fruit/veggies items. I also don't buy my meats there either. For my meats I go to Wegmans only. For the fruits and veggies if I don't have the $$$ for Wegmans I go to Save A Lot.
  • IslandDreamer64
    IslandDreamer64 Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    I buy quite a bit there, but there are many better choices in my area for produce so I usually don't buy any there.
  • MusicInMyHeart
    Options
    I love shopping Aldis for non fruit/veggies items. I also don't buy my meats there either. For my meats I go to Wegmans only. For the fruits and veggies if I don't have the $$$ for Wegmans I go to Save A Lot.

I've only bought their 93/7 ground beef and I've never had a problem with it. Haven't bought their chicken or pork though.
  • AlichiaMJohnson73
    AlichiaMJohnson73 Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    Jumping up and down!!!! MEEEEEEEEEEEEE!:drinker:
  • aszwarc
    aszwarc Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    I shop at Aldi for most staples, but I have noticed the same thing about some of the fresh produce being quick to spoil.
  • jnp96
    jnp96 Posts: 163
    Options
    Aldi's has great canned bean prices and they carry fat-free refried beans too. I don't buy the produce as I believe it is short dated.
  • ValerieMartini2Olives
    ValerieMartini2Olives Posts: 3,041 Member
    Options
    I swear by Aldi. I think they are a great store. I was there the other day and bought 5 containers of Greek yogurt, 2 packages of lunchmeat, blackberries, blueberries, celery, grape tomatoes, a loaf of bread, and sliced cheese and spent less than $17.
  • ramsfan84
    ramsfan84 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I love Aldi's. I buy most of my produce from there. I don't have any problems with their peppers, zuchini, broccoli, mushrooms, etc. I don't like their fruit as that seems to rot sooner. But do love their vegetables.

They are owned by Trader Joe's so many of their frozen items are the same as Trader Joe's and just packaged differently. I also buy their fresh spinach and it seems to last a good while as well.

I agree with you on their light and fit.

My son loves their baked bbq potato chips. I try to stay away from them because it is hard to eat just one. They are better than Lay's baked chips.

Julie
  • appelsiinipuu
    appelsiinipuu Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    Absolutely love shopping at Aldi. I definitely buy all the meat from there.. always been top notch!
  • DonnaLeeCattes
    DonnaLeeCattes Posts: 492 Member
    Options
    There is nothing wrong with there produce around were I live, I buy the fruit and the veggies from them and they last just as long as the stores do.
  • amez1974
    amez1974 Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    Yup I shop there-- it helps save my family of six some money!
  • dawningr
    dawningr Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    I stock up on;
    String Cheese
    Frozen Berries
    FF Plain Greek Yogurt (if I'm not able to make it to Costco)
    zucchini
    Banana's
    Fruit if it's in season
    kefir

hate their;
    milk (it always goes bad fast)
    frozen broccoli (it's always the stems and just not good)
    fit and active frozen meals (hellooooo sodium)
  • deadmittens
    deadmittens Posts: 536 Member
    Options
    I love getting my produce there. It's SOO much cheaper. Today I got a bag of oranges, a bag of apples, 4 avocados, and a box of fiber bars all for $11! That would have easily been $20 at Target.
  • Poorgirls_Diet
    Poorgirls_Diet Posts: 528 Member
    Options
    Oh I love both, always love a bargain me!!
  • DamnImASexyBitch
    DamnImASexyBitch Posts: 740 Member
    Options
    My local Aldi is too ghetto. The couple of times I've gone in there I've noticed I can shop better using the sales ads elsewhere. Plus I always leave there wanting to strangle someone in checkout because they don't know how much money is on their link card and have to decide which items to put back. I know that sounds horribly elitist but it is what it is.
  • katienoell
    katienoell Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Yep, I was just there yesterday. Love it! I admit that I don't buy meat there, but that's mostly because I think it's kind of on the expensive side (believe it or not). I usually do better price-wise at my local supermarket when meat/poultry is on sale, then I just stock up on a lot and freeze it. My best deals yesterday were $1.79 for a 3 pound bag of navel oranges and $2.49 for a half gallon of almond milk.
  • his_kid1
    his_kid1 Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    i have noticed that there seems to be a big difference in locations. Even in my city, some people say theirs is super ghetto, but mine is very clean, well-stocked, cashiers are friendly, etc. Produce lasts just as long as other stuff from grocery store. The exception to that is bananas, which I find go bad SUPER fast. I buy a lot there, but I wish that they would remove the HFCS from all of their products. I have bought meat there, but I think that sometimes I can find better quality for less by shopping grocery store sales. I have had no problem with their dairy going bad, either.
  • sndiane
    sndiane Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    Love Aldi's. I buy a lot of items. I don't buy all of my fresh vegetables there. I tend to buy a lot of frozen vegetables and fruit.
  • sky15425
    sky15425 Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    This varies by location. My store sells out of fresh produce before they close.
    I've always have great veggies and fruit from there at a great prices.