Period regained after anorexia. What does it mean?!

Options
Hey I have self recovered from anorexia. I am 5'10 and my lowest weight was probably 105. I am probably 115-117. I have not had my period naturally for about a year and just got it today. I have been trying to eat between 1000-1500 cals a day in order to restore my metabolism because I had destroyed it. I was gaining at 700 a day previously. Also now I feel like I have lost some weight, even though I have been eating out a lot, but I'm not sure because I haven't weighed myself. Does the return of my period mean that I have restored my metabolism? Or just that I have gained weight? I really want to start loosing again(HEALTHILY) and gain some muscle but I want my metabolism and body to be restored first! PLEASE HELP

Let me rephrase the lose weight part.... Since gaining back I have put on FAT not muscle. I am extremely happy with my size and would like to maintain. My goal is to lose 5 lbs of fat, and gain 5 + lbs of muscle.

I have been to the obgyn recently and have had my bloodwork done. Everything came back normal.

Replies

• lilteeraw
    lilteeraw Posts: 261
    Options
    I just think it means that youve finally given your body enough nutrient to be able to get your period again.
  • lexielexie40
    Options
    You need to talk with your parents and see a doctor.
  • lexielexie40
    Options
    I wish you the best.
  • miasapearl
    miasapearl Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    It means you have gained enough fat for your body to function normally again by having a period.
  • maddieosullivan
    Options
    I meant to say I probably am 115-117
  • katiefridley
    katiefridley Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    Assuming you are 117 pounds, you are too light for your height according to the BMI. I would suggest you see a doctor and not worry about losing any weight at all.
  • onyxgirl17
    onyxgirl17 Posts: 1,721 Member
    Options
    It means your body doesn't quite think you are going to die anymore and your hormones are starting back up. I'd like to hear other's input on this as well, actually. When I was 16-17 I lost mine from a year for the same reason as you. When I went up to 115 after a while of maintaining that weight they came back and have never left. Of course, I never was that skinny again.
  • honey_bee_keysha
    honey_bee_keysha Posts: 773 Member
    Options
    Assuming you are 117 pounds, you are too light for your height according to the BMI. I would suggest you see a doctor and not worry about losing any weight at all.

^This!
  • determinedbutlazy
    determinedbutlazy Posts: 1,941 Member
    Options
    It means your body is recovering. Also, you're not supposed to be on this site if you're under 18. Also, see a doctor, please!
  • maggiewithfins
    maggiewithfins Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Well done on taking steps to your recovery. Getting your period back suggests that you are on track. I see you are considering losing weight again, maybe that is something that you should be wary about given that your BMI is still quite low.
    Maybe check in with a psychologist and see if you are recovered of if the anorexia is tricking you into thinking that you should lose weight again. It takes a long time to change the thinking patterns that anorexia gives you, even when you think you are in control. Keep working at it!
    PS to gain muscle you have to be in a calorie surplus, not a deficit.
  • zaithyr
    zaithyr Posts: 482 Member
    Options
    Because you are 5' 10' I really would not recommend trying to lose more weight. You are already at about a 16.5 BMI which is still considered underweight. Before you go forward with any kind of fitness program, I would recommend seeing a doctor and/or a counselor because it can be very easy to be pulled back into old ways. Getting your period is a good sign, but better to get a full checkup and picture of your health before trying to do more things on your own.
  • BaileyBoo13524
    BaileyBoo13524 Posts: 593 Member
    Options
    I agree with the above see a professional as I don't think its healthy for you to be losing anymore.
  • geekyjock76
    geekyjock76 Posts: 2,720 Member
    Options
    How many years were you restricting calories while suffering from AN?

Your period returned because you had an energy availability (net calories) above the threshold where LH pulsatility and ovarian function is disrupted.

Luteinizing Hormone Pulsatility Is Disrupted at a Threshold of Energy Availability in Regularly Menstruating Women
    http://jcem.endojournals.org/content/88/1/297.full
  • maddieosullivan
    Options
    I know 117 sounds very low for my height, but I have a very small frame. Before my Ed I was probably 116 and I looked normal and healthy.
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options
    Getting your period back is the first physical step towards getting healthy again and is a good thing and good for you that you did that on your own. But, you need to work on the mental part. You should not be trying to lose weight again. Thinking that way means that you are not yet well again. Please get professional help. Your life and health is worth it.
  • Alex_is_Hawks
    Alex_is_Hawks Posts: 3,499 Member
    Options
    You should really save these questions for your doctor.

You are too young for this site so don't be surprised if you are asked to leave.

But having your period is a good thing, it means your body now has the BARE MINIMUM nutrients to function. It does not mean everything is all better though. So I will reiterate that you need to take these questions to your doctor to see where you are versus where you should really be.

But congratulations on getting healthier and allowing your body to function normally.
  • firstsip
    firstsip Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    You've been on this site since Nov 2011? :/ Were you using it to help fuel this unhealthy behavior? 1000 calories a day still isn't healthy, especially for your age and height.

"Self recovery" is dangeroudangeroudangerous, trust me. Find a good therapist, find a good nutritionist, find a good doctor. It might seem like you can do this on your own, but if you still think you need to lose weight, or think 1000 calories a day (or even 1500, holy deficit still) is sustainable, you're clearly not yet in a healthy mindset, or perceiving things accurately.

It IS a good thing if you've gotten your period again though, but if you were not seeing a professional through all of this and NOT having a period, you need to get to one quickly. There are so many internal side effects you don't realize happen when having starved for long periods of time.
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options
    I know 117 sounds very low for my height, but I have a very small frame. Before my Ed I was probably 116 and I looked normal and healthy.

But, you are a growing girl, your weight should be going up, not down.
  • rduhlir
    rduhlir Posts: 3,550 Member
    Options
    It means your body is healing. This is a good thing! This happens sometimes to females who are overweight as well. When they drop pounds they get their periods back.

And to Alex....I don't think age should have anything to do with it. As long as they are mature enough to handle it.
  • Samerah12
    Samerah12 Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    And to Alex....I don't think age should have anything to do with it. As long as they are mature enough to handle it.

No, literally it's against the rules to be on this site if you're under 18.
This discussion has been closed.