kettlebell workouts anyone?

Options
About 3 years ago before my son was born I had a personal trainer that trained my wife and I with kettlebells to get us started because we were both very weak. All I remember was that about a month later both of our body fat percentage dropped drastically. My wife has never been so skinny in her life and I have never felt so athletic. Anyways has anyone here at MFP tried it? And what book or training videos would you recommend? I want to give it a try again but this time I can't afford a personal trainer.

Replies

• Lauralovesmfp
    Lauralovesmfp Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    Paul Katami is awesome. He has four out I think. They are available at totalfitnessdvds.com and you can watch clips. If you use the code 10off in the promo code box you get 10% off. His form is very good and he has tutorials on his dvds as well to learn form. Hope that helps!
    Laura
  • abrahamsitososa
    abrahamsitososa Posts: 716 Member
    Options
    Thank you Laura yes that is very helpful. I hope one doesn't slip and I break the tv lol.
  • xxnellie146xx
    xxnellie146xx Posts: 996 Member
    Options
    I am interested in people's responses. I have a kettle bell and have have watched a few workouts on youtube and on tv but I feel like I am not really doing them correctly :ohwell:
  • abrahamsitososa
    Options
    I am interested in people's responses. I have a kettle bell and have have watched a few workouts on youtube and on tv but I feel like I am not really doing them correctly :ohwell:

With a complete kettlebell workout you'll feel like your heart is going to pop out of your rib cage because it gets your heart pumping really fast and hard. Specially that exercise where you swing it between your legs when you squat down and on the way up you swing it over your head as you stand back up and hold it right over your head but make sure it doesn't go behind that point. It's intense but I love it.
  • krisiepoo
    krisiepoo Posts: 710 Member
    Options
    I use the DVDs by bob harper, they're 3.99 on his website right now and the first time I did it I thought I was gonna die it was so hard!
  • Sheila_Ann
    Sheila_Ann Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    I love working out with the KB. It's a great all around workout. I don't use dvd's, but I see my trainer 2x a week and we incorporate them into my workout.

Good luck to you and your wife!
  • ktrn0312
    ktrn0312 Posts: 723 Member
    Options
    I started doing some kettlebell workouts I found on YouTube. Fitness blender has several sessions. Check it out.
  • christyallgood
    christyallgood Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I have done the Kettle Worx program a couple of times and still throw it in once in awhile. It is a total body workout and its only about 30 mins a day. I have seen it sold at Sports Authority recently. It is quite a workout! And its not too boring because its not the same workout day after day!!
  • Yogi_Carl
    Yogi_Carl Posts: 1,906 Member
    Options
    I use a Fitness Blender video on You Tube but I also read up some form on RKC.

I love kettlebells and bodyweight exercises which are far better for the specific strength needs I have for yoga, which is my main focus.

I recently found a local Primal club who include KBs in their workouts.
  • abrahamsitososa
    Options
    I use the DVDs by bob harper, they're 3.99 on his website right now and the first time I did it I thought I was gonna die it was so hard!

I'm definitely gonna have to start with a heart rate monitor.
  • thatdarncass
    thatdarncass Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I do the RKS Kettlebell system, which I like. It has a lot of variety in the dvd's.
  • rockangel8907
    rockangel8907 Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    I love working out with kettlebells, just not sure how to log them....strength? Cardio?
  • thestone
    Options
    I love doing a kettlebell workout. I have a 21 day challenge program, if anyone is interested. It's 21 straight days of doing kettlebell swings. I just finised my first 21 days and plan to repeat it. If you miss a day, you have to start from Day 1. Helps to keep me motivated. Excellent cardio and strength training.

Oh, and I log kettlebell under strength training.
  • fight_for_fit
    Options
    Oh man kettle bells are insane.
    I did them for the first time in a cross fit class and all I know is for the next 3 days I was in the most pain I've experienced from a workout.
    They made us do it for the conditioning part of the class.
    159 kettle bell swings, but if the kettle bell stopped swinging at any point we had to drop and do 20 sit ups and start up again with the kettle bells.
    Insane but an amazing full body workout.
    Now I always try and incorporate kettle bells into my workouts.
  • madcat_wechanged
    Options

I LOVE these workouts (I think there are only 2) and they push you!
  • madcat_wechanged
    Options
    I love working out with kettlebells, just not sure how to log them....strength? Cardio?

YES :laugh:
  • Clew
    Clew Posts: 910 Member
    Options
    I have used several but my tried and true are always the Kettlebell Bombshell DVDs by Lisa Balash. The Kettlebell is far and away my favorite exercise equipment ever! :)
  • Clew
    Clew Posts: 910 Member
    Options

With a complete kettlebell workout you'll feel like your heart is going to pop out of your rib cage because it gets your heart pumping really fast and hard. Specially that exercise where you swing it between your legs when you squat down and on the way up you swing it over your head as you stand back up and hold it right over your head but make sure it doesn't go behind that point. It's intense but I love it.

Heck yeah! I love it!
  • Yogi_Carl
    Yogi_Carl Posts: 1,906 Member
    Options

Anything you log under Strength is just for your own notes and doesn't add workout calories to your dailiy allowance.

Log kettlebell under Cardio. There is an entry called "kettlebell", Log in minutes done and it will give you an estimated calorie burn; typically about 600 calories per hour!
  • lauranell79
    lauranell79 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I just started a kettlebell routine and am using the fitness blender videos on youtube. I am sooooo sore today!!! Feel like I did 1000 squats yesterday lol

My question is... is this like lifting weights? you don't want to do this everyday so you can rest and recover? how often should I incorporate this into my everyday cardio (walking/running on the treadmill for 30 min)?