Please stop this insanity.

Options
1235»

Replies

• beckyjane78
    beckyjane78 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    That is one of my pet peeves!! :) Thanks for posting!
  • Midnight_Sunshine
    Midnight_Sunshine Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    Another one that confuses me is "I weighted myself" as opposed to 'weighed'
    Is this a language based thing?

I've never seen that one but I think it's kind of a cute mistake "Mommy, Mommy!! I weighted myselfs! :D"

But maybe that's because although I happen to be an English major I am not an anal retentive a*hole.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    NM

But true about the semicolon.
  • Mcgrawhaha
    Mcgrawhaha Posts: 1,596 Member
    Options
    lose, loose... eventually, someones going to figure out what it is im trying to say...
  • NKF92879
    NKF92879 Posts: 601 Member
    Options
    Oh. My. Goodness. People! Let it go!!! There is NO LINK BETWEEN SPELLING ABILITY AND INTELLIGENCE!!! Actually, several university studies have shown links between exceptionally high IQ's (145+) and poor spelling abilities.

Edited to add: Besides, it's often more of a typographical error than knowledge. I've been known to have typed "weighted" instead of "weighed" due to typos. Sorry, but I don't generally proofread my posts...
  • giggitygoo
    giggitygoo Posts: 1,978 Member
    Options
    I need a grammar thread ticker instead of a weight loss ticker as a sig!

JM

I'll just follow you around and post this:

"The_Journeyman has corrected 3 grammatical errors since his last post! He's corrected 30042 errors total!"

Cool beans?
  • the_journeyman
    the_journeyman Posts: 1,877 Member
    Options
    Don't forget to deduct a 'correction' for every grammar mistake I make!

JM
  • conidiring
    conidiring Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    Haven't read all the posts, but just want to add that there are numerous people on here that are from countries that have English as a second language and don't necessarily know the proper word usage. Give people a break, you know what they mean.
  • philshjips
    philshjips Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    While we're on the topic, there's no H in "height".

Geometry and algebra class made me insane, hearing my teacher talk about "length, width and heighth"
  • BaneOfMFPsExistence
    Options
    While we're on the topic, there's no H in "height".
    Ah..um.. well... actually, there are two H's in "height." Just sayin. ;)
  • magdalen13
    magdalen13 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    i wonder how many of the spelling sticklers can solve a calculus equation or explain maxwell's equations in plain and simple terms :laugh:

in any case, i always picture the "loosing weight" people saying it like mr. burns from the simpsons : "smithers let loose the weight"

I always was surprised at how many people who are clever at math and physics don't spell well. To me they both were a matter of precise thinking. I don't spell things wrong, and I like calculus :) Maxwell's equations, though? That's hardly as plain and simple as the other two, is it?