Crock pot tips and recipes

Options

Replies

• vonnywaft
    vonnywaft Posts: 182
    Options
    I use my slow cooker to make stock too. When we've had a chicken, I'll throw the carcass in the pot with vegetable off cuts, an onion, some garlic and herbs and a couple of pints of water and leave it on overnight. then strain it and freeze in smaller portions for use when making soups, gravies and sauces. I did this with the goose we had at christmas and then made a ton of vegetable soup straight away with it as we had quite a lot of veg that we hadn't used and needed to use up. the goose stock was really rich and the soup tastes amazing. I have a portion defrosting in my office now ready for lunch time - can't wait. So much cheaper than bought stock and you can control how much salt - I rarely add any salt at all to it as it is tasty enough without.
  • stacey2525
    stacey2525 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    this is best post by far
  • jquarequio
    jquarequio Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    bunp
  • wcasie
    wcasie Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Bbwnomore2
    Bbwnomore2 Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    i am sorry if this is a repeat reciepe i skimmed the pages(if not i would be here for hrs LOL and its cleaning day!)

first i spray the crock with pam makes for easier cleaning

2 fresh chicken breast I use chicken in the yellow tray at walmart
    1 can black beans UNDRAINED
    1 can whole kernal corn DRAINED
    1/2 c salsa
    1 pkt taco seasoning
    It makes alot

place all in crock cook all day when i work on low (8 hr shift) take 2 forks and shredd the chicken use this in a tortilla
    used on a salad
    used on top of nachos

top it with what you like the possibilities are endless
  • Gmansmommie
    Gmansmommie Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    If you pre-cook your veggies and brown meats before putting them into some recipes then your recipes will have better flavor and everything won't always kind of taste the same. I know that defeats the purpose of crockpottery. I rarely do that but it does help.

I love my crockpot.

Chicken Spagetti--put 2 chicken breast in crockpot frozen or not, pour a jar or 2 of sauce (whichever brand of spagetti sauce you like) over the top, let cook on low 8-10 hours. Shred chicken when done.

Taco Junk--
    1 lb ground turkey---cooked and drained
    1 can whole kernel corn (rinsed and drained)
    1 can great northern beans rinsed and drained
    2 4 oz packages ranch salad dressing dry mix
    1 10 oz can rotel tomatoes and green chilies
    1 16 oz Jar salsa (hot, medium, or mild)

Brown meat, drain. Dump all ingredients into crockpot and cook on high for 4 hours or low for 6-8. Serves 16 (1/2 cup servings)

Taco Soup
    1/2 lb lean ground turkey cooked-drained
    2 14.5 oz cans mexican stewed tomatoes
    1 15 oz can pinto beans
    1 15 oz can kidney beans
    1 can whole corn or 1 1/3 cups frozen whole corn thawed
    1 package taco season mix
    1 medium onion chopped
    30 oz water
    pepper to taste

brown meat and onion in skillet, drain, put all ingredients in crockpot. Cook on low 6-8 hours serves 12 (1 cup serving size)

Super Easy Chicken
    4-5 Frozen skinless boneless chicken breast
    1 package dry italian dressing mix
    1 cup warm water or fat free chicken broth

place chicken in bottom of crockpot, sprinkle dressing mix over chicken then pour water or broth over chicken. Cover and cook on low 8-10 hours.

---You can put whole chicken and turkey in frozen or thawed without precooking. But ground meat will not cook through in a crockpot you need to at least "grey" the meat, cook it thru.
  • Gmansmommie
    Gmansmommie Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Great recipes..... Thanks!
  • photogal375
    photogal375 Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    I'm obsessed with my crockpot as well. It's a super tool for busy moms!!! There are a ton of recipes on pinterest.

http://pinterest.com/ann_hagenbarth/happiness-is-my-crock-pot/

this is my pinterest page with crockpot recipes, there are 245!

yesterday I made a lo carb chicken teriyaki in the crockpot that my husband loved and he had no idea that it was healthy!

1 c. soy sauce
    1/2 c. stevia
    2 tbsp. brown sugar
    1 teaspoon garlic salt
    1/2 an onion, chopped
    4-6 chicken breasts (mine were frozen)

Directions:
    Put all of the ingredients but chicken into a pot over medium heat until boiling. Pour over chicken in crock pot. Cook on high for 3-4 hours or low for 6-8 hours. Serve over rice.

Already in the crockpot!! Thanks for the recipe!!! :smile:
  • mazdauk
    mazdauk Posts: 1,380 Member
    Options
    Another "Year of Slow Cooking" fan - I also don't brown anything before putting it in the crockpot (helloooo? That's an extra pan to wash!!) However, I DO brown and drain minced beef, then freeze it in 500g portions in ziplock bags. Then if I'm doing a recipe (crockpot or other) requireing mince there's a whole step I can eliminate, AND there won't be any gooey fat in my crockpot.
  • missymarea
    missymarea Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    BUMP
  • CLivingston722
    CLivingston722 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • tsign36
    tsign36 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Love all the recipes and thanks! One of my favorites:

6 boneless skinless breasts or thighs (husband likes thighs better)
    1 Jar of medium salsa
    1 jar green olives rinsed and drained
    1 can of beer (your choice)

Put it all together, Low 6-8 hours... DELICIOUS!~!!
  • Alacey88
    Alacey88 Posts: 487 Member
    Options
    Need recipes as my fiance wants to get on this lifestyle change!!!
  • MsNancy1827
    Options
    I'm a crock-pot junkie! Here is a recipe my boyfriend calls "Pirate food"

Caribbean Pork Loin
    2 whole pork tenderloins
    1 can crushed pineapple
    1 cup diced green onions
    2 tbsp fresh minced ginger
    2 tbsp fresh minced garlic
    1/4 cup brown sugar
    1/2 cup soy sauce
    1 tsp ground cinnamon
    1 tsp allspice

Blend all of the wet and dry ingredients in a blender or chopper until it forms a soupy paste.
    Place the pork in the slow cooker and cut a line down each with a knife. Pour the paste into each pork loin.
    Cook on low for 8 hours.
    This sounds good but as I don't eat pork I think I will substitute Chicken or maybe a Turkey Ham.
  • Happygirl50
    Happygirl50 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • angelzoya519
    Options
    great ideas thank you. BUMP
  • buffie48
    Options
    am trying to find this bump...can you please post the actuall web site I do a search and a bunch of junk comes up
  • sherim71
    sherim71 Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    This is a fave at our house:

One pound of beef tips
    One packet of Lipton Beefy Onion Soup mix
    One box of beef broth or today I used beef stock for the first time. Add water if desired.

Cook that all day. When I get home I use the broth in place of water and I make rice, and steamed broccoli. Layer it all on a plate, rice, beef and broccoli. It's delish!
  • Kellylynnhaynes
    Kellylynnhaynes Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    bump for later
  • dq_diva
    dq_diva Posts: 66
    Options
    One thing I love to do with my crock pot.....when boneless, skinless chicken breasts are on sale, I put 6-8 in the crock and add just enough liquid (chicken broth or water) to cover. Cook on low for about 4-5 hours, then shred. Then use the shredded chicken during the week to make just about anything! Chicken taco's, chicken salad, chicken soup or chili, chicken enchiladas, white lasagna......whatever! You could probably freeze it in baggies as well, though I've never tried.

Great thread! LOVE my crock pot and always looking for new ideas!