Ladies on 1200cal diet lets share eating plans, tips, ideas!

Options

Replies

• smarston
    smarston Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Hi!
    I have an eating too much protein problem, if that's a problem. I know protein is good for you and I think I've become overly focused, anyway here is my typical day for 1200 cals or under:

Breakfast:
    - Oatmeal (rolled oats only - instant oats are a joke as far as nutrients) w/ 2% milk & brown sugar
    - 1 or 2 servings (2 Tb/serving) of Wheat Germ for extra protein & fiber added to oatmeal (can't even taste it!)
    - Coffee (YES!)

Lunch:
    - Sandwich and some fruit, I had an Arby's melt the other day and it wasn't as calorically bad as I thought it'd be...Chick-Fil-A is the healthiest major fast food restaurant to go to - if you're a fast food-getter :) no sandwich on their menu is over 300 calories (source: eat this not that)

Dinner:
    - White fish, battered and fried actually...not as calorically bad as you'd think, once again!
    - Brown rice
    - Broccoli
    - Glass of red (YES!)

That's my typical day, sometimes it puts me over by a few calories when I don't exercise - I'm talking by like 20 calories...so not too big of a deal. I also don't drink soda (never have) and stay away from juice most of the time - water is my best friend.

Sorry that I didn't give any new recipe ideas or anything, I just have found that it's not too hard to stay around the 1200 calorie mark....surprisingly enough.

Best of luck ladies and gents! Keep it movin! :):)

Good to know about the Chic-Fil-A. The kids want to eat there tomorrow night before the hockey game. They got free meals from book reader club so that makes me feel a ton better about going there. Thx.
  • TheMaidOfAstolat
    TheMaidOfAstolat Posts: 3,222 Member
    Options
    Feel free to look at my food diary (I only log M-F, my weekends are treated as free days but I still eat very healthy).
  • suejonestx
    suejonestx Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    My 1200 calorie day:
    breakfast (~380 cals): blueberries, all bran (1/4 cup), whole grain cheerios (1 cup), skim milk, coffee with powder creamer
    lunch (~350 cals): sandwich on whole grain bread, turkey, spinach, pickles, tomatoes, cucumber, mustard (no mayo) or a salad
    dinner (~350 cals): lean cuisine or roasted chicken with veggies or turkey bratwurst (awesome!!!) or Progresso light soups
    snacks (~200): banana, apple, goldfish crackers, every now and then a ~120 cal beer or two
    water: lots of water every day...especially when I'm hungry, I try a large glass of water before snacking
    exercise: 2-3 days per week burn 500 calories per session, walk about 15-20 minutes every day for an extra 60-90 calories
    my basic no-no's: cheese, creamy dressings, sodas/juice, sweets, chips, fried anything, large portions

Thanks to everyone for sharing!
  • kdiamond
    kdiamond Posts: 3,329 Member
    Options
    I have found that if you prepare all of your meals at home you can certainly eat a lot of food for 1200 calories! Sometimes I have issues even getting to that number because I feel so full eating clean!

Breakfast - coffee w/ half and half, oatmeal, 2 egg whites, couple strawberries or handful of blueberries - 250 cals
    Snack - Fage 0% yogurt - 90 cals
    Lunch - HUGE homemade salad w/ grilled chicken or tuna and homemade dressing - 300 cals
    Snack - s/f pudding or fruit w/ a few almonds - 60-150 cals
    Dinner - turkey burger w/ f/f cheese, huge serving of veggies - 220 cals
    Snack - s/f ice cream or fruit or both - 100-150 cals

This is under 1200 a day slightly.
  • amandahope79
    amandahope79 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    The best one I have found is Silk light chocolate soy milk, natural peanut butter, chocolate protein powder and ice....all blended together ITS AWESOME!! Also makes a good breakfast, it keeps me full longer!!

This sounds delicious!!! Do you know how many calories are normally in a shake? I have been looking for one after I work out and would like to try this. Thanks!
  • catlynna
    catlynna Posts: 7
    Options
    I am on 1200 a day and this is my first week started Monday only 1 day I went over.. I am doing my best to find low calorie food tha that is satisfying. I have lost 5 pounds this week. If you can access you are welcome to look at my food diary as I do alot of research and trial and error finding the right balance of food for 1200 calories.

Breakfast I discovered a great protein satisfying meal that takes about 10 minutes to cook:

I use simply egg whites in a carton 30 cal per serving and I use 3 servings and that is alot
    then I chop up a broccoli floret and some onions which I sautee in with Becel Light margarine (35 cal) then add the eqq whites and season with veggie sal. This is very good and full of protein and keeps me full until lunch.

With the portions I use it comes to about 180 calories which is excellent for something that is actually satisfying. good luck! :)

PS: I am in Canada and wondering if anyone has found that 35 calories bread mentioned in Canada?
  • pfenixa
    pfenixa Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    Lunch:
    - Sandwich and some fruit, I had an Arby's melt the other day and it wasn't as calorically bad as I thought it'd be...Chick-Fil-A is the healthiest major fast food restaurant to go to - if you're a fast food-getter :) no sandwich on their menu is over 300 calories (source: eat this not that)

Actually, if you go on the Chick-fil-A website, the lowest calorie sandwich IS 300 calories, which is a plain Chargrilled Sandwich. The Chargrilled Club and the regular Chicken sandwiches are both over 400 calories.

Having said that, I think they still have the lowest calorie fast food sandwiches out there. =\
  • aippolito1
    aippolito1 Posts: 4,894 Member
    Options
    As far as bread is concerned, I usually just do whole wheat tortillas or flatout flatbread light original - which are under about 100 calories and very filling because they're whole wheat. Also, whole grain is your best friend. Kroger's brand Private Selection has some good artisan breads that are whole grain, DELICIOUS, and about 140 for like, 1/7 of the loaf which ends up being 2 slices for my sandwich. It's a bit too thick for sandwiches so I like to eat them open-faced. You can usually find "older" breads on the sale cart for about $1.50 or so versus $4 regular price.

My days vary a lot because I don't like eating the same thing but this is a rough draft of what my day today will be like:

BREAKFAST: Nature's Own Whole Wheat Thinly Sliced Bagel 140 cal
    1 scrambled egg made with pepper 70 cal
    1 slice colby jack cheese 80 cal
    1/2 slice Kroger deli ham 8 cal (not sure if this is correct?)
    8 oz. POM Wonderful Pomegranate Blueberry juice 150 cals
    TOTAL: 447

SNACK: Orville Redenbacher 100 Cal Kettle Korn Smart Pop

LUNCH: 1/2 Flatout Flatbread Light Original 45 cal
    1/4 cup Kroger canned chicken 60 cal
    1 tbsp Kroger Classic Mayo 100 cal
    1/2 cup Peanuts in shell unsalted 170 cal
    TOTAL: 375

SNACK #1: 1 Kroger White Cheddar Rice Cake 40 cal
    1 teaspoon Kroger (Natural) Honey Roasted Peanut Butter 28 cal
    1 teaspoon Target imitation honey 22 cal
    TOTAL: 90

SNACK #2: 2 blocks Hershey's Milk Chocolate Bar 80 cal
    4 oz. 2% milk 60 cal
    TOTAL: 140 cal

DINNER: 4 oz. Kroger Boneless Skinless Chicken Tenderloins baked 110 cal
    5 spears Asparagus baked with olive oil & season all roughly 58 cal
    TOTAL: 128

This puts me at a total of 1,280 cal, 143 carbs, 53 fat, 77 protein, 15 fiber, and 1,730 and only putting me over on fat by 8. (Calculated after 350 calories I'll burn on the elliptical and 100 calories burned doing general walking throughout the day - I do at least this everyday).

If you like this, my diaries are public. :happy:
  • profjan6
    profjan6 Posts: 333
    Options
    Those sandwich rounds are great. Only 100 cal and you can eat a burger on them, too! Grilled cheese (fat free or low fat) is also good. I will probably lay an egg because I eat a lot of egg whites, egg beaters, and chicken. But it seems to go a long way!
  • Amberly10
    Amberly10 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Right now I am doing the Kellog's Challenge.

Breakfast: 3/4 cup Kellog's Special K Vanilla Almond Cereal
    Coffee w 1tbs Coffee Mates French Vanilla Creamer 2tsp sugar
    Fruit

Lunch: Kellog's Protein Shake French Silk
    Fruit and veggies raw

Dinner: Healthy Choice Zesty Rotini and Marinara Sauce
    Mixed green salad with added baby spinach and light rasberry vinegarette dressing (just a dash)

Snacks: Kellog's Fruit Crisps, snack or cereal bar

Lots of water and occassionally 1 can of soda (I know not the best but hey, I'm a mom of 4 so sometimes I just need the caffine!)

My food diary is public so feel free to browse. Most of the time I am under my calories by quite a bit. If I am I throw in a couple of almonds or some peanutbutter.
  • nicolel18
    nicolel18 Posts: 17
    Options
    Yes I want to know about this 35 calorie bread! Sounds too good to be true.

I found whole grain pita bread made by a brand called Josephs and its 60 calories per pita. Its a pretty good size pita and I make my sandwiches on that. I believe its whole grain with Oats and flax seed. It keeps me full and its only 60 calories.
  • mbonilla14
    Options
    Ok so I wanted to share this awesome breakfast option!! lots of protein little calories and I too am on a 1200 cal diet so...lets make em count! I put 5 egg whites in a bowl with 1/4 cup of oats mix it up throw it in a nonstick pan, cover with tin foil and let it cook. once it's done it's just like a pancake!!! amazing!! I'm addicted, i eat it everymorning. I top it with sugar free syrup or sugar free jam! the pancake itself is 155calories and it's HUGE. even with toppings it still comes in under 200 calories!!!
  • catlynna
    catlynna Posts: 7
    Options
    On the Bread I found in Canada anyway Dempsters bodywise its 50 calories a slice.. its not bad.. does the trick.. anyway anyone who wants to friend me and view my diary please feel free to do so.. I am trying hard to stay on track.. yesterday bad day had a business luncheon and it was very decadent food.. delicious but I had to skip dinner and was praying that I didn't gain from my splurge.. which I didn't.. next challenge is going camping this weekend and staying on track!!!!!!! Good luck and I hope my food diary is helpful to anyone who is interested.
  • hajpaj
    hajpaj Posts: 6
    Options
    Hi Ladies,

I've been using this website to keep me on track and love plugging in my food and exercise (when I get it in of course). My challenges are days when I do not exercise or when I eat out so I focus a lot on not buying breakfast or lunch and cooking dinner that lasts more than one day.

I've been noticing that my sugar intake is just way too high and I am not a soda drinker. I do the yoplait or dannon light and fit, fat free whatever you want to call it but I have to say that the sugar in them is just too much!!!!!!!! I want to get my yogurt in but need help getting low fat and low sugar, does it exist??????

Also for the most part my fruit snack comes out of a cup like the small Dole fruit cups less syrup which I always pour off or I do the Del Monte fruit naturals but again the sugar is too, too much!!!!!!!

I do 100 calories pack, especially the almonds or chocolate covered pretzles.

For my lunches, Lean Cusine is my best friend I just make sure to drink a lot of water.

Can anybody help on a yogurt with less sugar?
  • policebaby
    Options
    I too stay on a 1200 cal a day routine. I find it hard at times to even hit the 1200 mark and eat a lot of food! I usually prepare most of the weeks lunches and snacks on a Sunday...

Breakfast:
    CARB:
    1/2 cup Oatmeal (plain rolled oats)
    1/2 cup of brown rice cooked - add a splash of soy milk, cinnamon, vanilla sugar free preserves, or any other sugar free seasoning to add flavor!
    1 - 100 Calorie Bread Round - with sugar free preserves added
    PROTIEN:
    1 scoop of Body Tech Whey Protien or Jay Robb Protien mixed with 8 oz of Vanilla Light Soy Milk (OR)
    2-3 Egg Whites cooked with chopped tomato, spinach, mushroom, onion, fresh salsa, other fresh veggies (and I usually add a
    dash of parmesian cheese)
    1 - 4 oz. container of 2% cottage cheese
    Morning Star Sausage Patties
    **I avoid fruits, however, if you want to add them, try to stick to the low sugar index like apples, blueberries, strawberries.

Lunch:
    PROTIEN:
    4 oz. grilled chicken breast (with any dry seasoning you desire)
    4 oz. albacore white tuna in water (with onion, soy and ground ginger added)
    4 oz. Boars head Turkey, Ham or other lean meat with any mustard for dipping)
    4 oz. homemade grilled turkey burger with basil, balsamic, or other dry seasoning of your choice added into it.
    4 oz. 2% cottage cheese
    1/2 cup mixed beans (Kidney, black and garbonzo)

CARB:
    1/2 cup sweet potato
    1/2 cup brown rice
    1 - 100 Calorie Sandwich Round

VEGGIE:
    1/2 cup spinach
    1/2 cup green beans
    1/2 cup any left over grilled veggie from night before dinner (Asparagus, zucchini, squash, etc.)

Dinner:
    4 oz. od any grilled lean protien (chicken, fish, pork, beef)
    1 - Very large salad , add beets, mushrooms, onions, tomato, celery, carrots, etc. (ALL vegetables, no cheeses, no breads, no creamy dressings)
    1/2 cup grilled veggie of my choice

Morning Snack :
    2 oz. lean protien (boars head lunch meat, cottage cheese, beans, etc) (OR) whey protien shake made with water.

Late day snack:
    Same as morning snack

With variations of the varieties above I usually avoid bordom and/or eating the same thing everyday and, I have a VERY hard time even hitting 1200 calories!!
    Hope it helps someone...
  • policebaby
    Options
    That sounds so yummy, and like a really cool way to enjoy my oats and egg whites for a change...I am going to try it tomorrow morning! Thanks you!!!
  • policebaby
    Options
    Hi Ladies,

I've been using this website to keep me on track and love plugging in my food and exercise (when I get it in of course). My challenges are days when I do not exercise or when I eat out so I focus a lot on not buying breakfast or lunch and cooking dinner that lasts more than one day.

I've been noticing that my sugar intake is just way too high and I am not a soda drinker. I do the yoplait or dannon light and fit, fat free whatever you want to call it but I have to say that the sugar in them is just too much!!!!!!!! I want to get my yogurt in but need help getting low fat and low sugar, does it exist??????

Also for the most part my fruit snack comes out of a cup like the small Dole fruit cups less syrup which I always pour off or I do the Del Monte fruit naturals but again the sugar is too, too much!!!!!!!

I do 100 calories pack, especially the almonds or chocolate covered pretzles.

For my lunches, Lean Cusine is my best friend I just make sure to drink a lot of water.

Can anybody help on a yogurt with less sugar?

Greek Yogurts are the best!! No added sugars and tasty. Just try to understand there is not a yogurt out there without high sugar. If you need to avoid the sugars, avoid yogurts all together for a while.
    Also, for the fruit cups...anything prepackaged like that is going to be HIGH in fructose corn syrup, sugar, CRAP! Try making your own fruit cups with fresh fruit. Invest in some tupperware (gladware) and use fresh produce!
    Same for your lunches and snack packs, the more you can prepare your own foods and package yourself, the more you will be able to eat, the less processed crap you will be consuming and you will be happier!! :)
  • dzoara
    dzoara Posts: 6
    Options
    Did anyone figure out the 35 cal bread? !?"
  • mrsdv
    mrsdv Posts: 13
    Options
    Does anyone know where to get Greek Yoghurt in Ontario? I haven't been able to find it.
  • penny38_1999
    penny38_1999 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Hi Pink Lady, speaking of berries, every morning i make my oatmeal (quick cook) not instant.
    1 Cup Water
    1/2 cup oatmeal

Microwave for 2 mins

Add 1/4 Skim Milk
    1 cup of mixed berries ( i heat and thaw these also in the microwave)

mix that into oatmeal with some splenda

The whole thing has 250 Calories and gives you lots of fiber i believe its 9 from berries and 4 from oatmeal

Its like eating dessert every morning and takes me right to 12:00 without wanting something else to eat

Berries are great!