Running while pregnant!

Options
I just found out that I am pregnant! I am so excited, and have decided that I definitely need to start logging my food again, although not necessarily for weight loss ( obviously! ). I'm still planning on running through this too! - as long as I get the OK from my doctor. Anyways, any other pregnant runners in here? How about those who are mommies now and ran while pregnant? Any advice?

Replies

• BellaFe
    BellaFe Posts: 323
    Options
    I was only able to keep running in the beginning of my pregnancy, I must say my breasts did not like it one bit lol. I ran up until I found out I was pregnant with twins.
  • FitBeto
    FitBeto Posts: 2,121 Member
    Options
    Shaking baby syndrome
  • rosiereally2
    rosiereally2 Posts: 539 Member
    Options
    Congratulations!
  • Amandajp79
    Amandajp79 Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    It is totally fine to run while pregnant, I have discussed this with my Doc! Invest in a FANTASTIC sports bra (or four) as the first trimester is the most painful to the boobies! It gets better in the second trimester (where I am now) :) Congrats and keep moving! :D
  • kcgslp
    kcgslp Posts: 212
    Options
    Shaking baby syndrome

To the above: Please tell me you're kidding!

I know many people who have continued running as long as they could. As you get bigger it just becomes uncomfortable. The big factor is pace. You don't want to be completely out of breath because decreased Oxygen for you is decreased oxygen for your baby. Every run should be an "easy run"
  • aportz
    aportz Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I ran with both kids until about 7 mos. I second the really supportive sports bra. I carried both kids really low and at 7 mos. the pressure was too much (think constant wetting your pants!). After 7 mos, I power walked or did the elliptical. Listen to your body and you'll be fine. In fact, you'll be glad you did it. I believe my fitness level helped a lot with both labor and recovery. One note of caution, be careful running after you have the baby. Your ligaments etc are pretty stretched. I injured my hip coming back too intense too soon. GOOD LUCK and CONGRATS!!!!
  • smithme09
    Options
    It's fine; just go at a slow, comfortable pace! And congratulations!
  • sarakenna1
    Options
    I'm only at 7 weeks, but still trying to run a couple times a week. I've noticed that my endurance isn't at its normal levels and I need to take walking breaks now and then. It also takes me a little longer to warm up and find my stride. Overall though, I feel really good once I'm warmed up and feel even better when I'm done. I'm hoping to stay around 5-10 miles per week for as long as possible. I signed up for my first half marathon for next May before I was pregnant; I'll be at 6 months by that time. I'm not sure if I'm going to try to walk it, jog it, or throw in the towel on that one. I'll wait to see how I feel and decide then!
  • KatLifter
    KatLifter Posts: 1,314 Member
    Options
    Congratulations and good for you! My sister is 7 months along now and ran 1/2 marathons through her 5th month. Keeping fit during pregnancy is good for the baby.

This blog is hilarious, http://www.fitinheels.com/2012/06/pregnant-peeps-can-still-run.html
  • Kwpenguin
    Kwpenguin Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    If you're already running, it's safe to continue to do so. Ditto everyone that says get a good bra. It's essential that you stay hydrated, and take it slow.
  • RiannonC
    RiannonC Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    I ran up until about 6 months. The important thing is just to listen to your body and not do anything that feels too challenging or uncomfortable. I personally would pass on the half marathon simply because it would be so tempting to try to do it as fast as possible. But I know people who have done them while pregnant and been fine.
    After 6 months I switched to less bouncy exercises like kickboxing and step aerobics. I was able to continue those up until the day before delivery.
  • gerirojas
    gerirojas Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    So long as your having a healthy pregnancy you can run until its just uncomfortable for you, my last 2 pregnancies I ran, I did body pump and the last couple of months I did the elliptical and incline walking, I also did pre-natal yoga which really helps.

Congratulations and listen to your body, if you feel ok go with it, if not stop and check with your doctor

Gppd luck
  • 1ConcreteGirl
    1ConcreteGirl Posts: 3,677 Member
    Options
    You said you are *still* planning on running, but I don't know if that means that you are currently in a habit of running, or if it means you are sticking to a recent plan you made to run.

Obviously, I am not a doctor, and please speak to your doctor about this, but if you have been exercising for a fair amount of time, pre-pregnancy, it is usually okay for you to contnue with that exercise. If you have not, then it is usually not recommended to start a new program.

My former boss was an olympic-level softball player and played softball through her 8th month of pregnancy because she had been doing it for 20 years and that was normal for her. Just make sure you verify with your doctor anything that you would like to do,
  • Eisa2
    Eisa2 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    doctor here and doctor there. cant you americans think for yourself or is it really than inexpensive going to your doc. sorry just a rant.
  • danasings
    danasings Posts: 8,218 Member
    Options
    doctor here and doctor there. cant you americans think for yourself or is it really than inexpensive going to your doc. sorry just a rant.

Wow. Well, when it comes to the health and well-being of my baby, of course I would consult the Internet rather than seeing a doctor, obviously. :noway:
  • links_slayer
    links_slayer Posts: 1,151 Member
    Options
    I've heard stories of the baby falling out when mama ran when preggers. Just be careful.
  • 1ConcreteGirl
    1ConcreteGirl Posts: 3,677 Member
    Options

Wow. Well, when it comes to the health and well-being of my baby, of course I would consult the Internet rather than seeing a doctor, obviously. :noway:

Obviously a fake profile, Dana. Don't bother.
  • kristinhills90
    kristinhills90 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    As long as you have no complications during pregnancy it's totally fine. I have a friend who is 35 weeks pregnant and still running 2 miles a day!
  • j75j75
    j75j75 Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    When I worked as a lifeguard we had a lot of preggo woman come and swim laps. It's probably the best form of exercise you can do.
  • drmerc
    drmerc Posts: 2,603 Member
    Options
    When I worked as a lifeguard we had a lot of preggo woman come and swim laps. It's probably the best form of exercise you can do.

Wont the baby drown?