How do you break the addiction to fast food?

Options

Replies

• chrome_princess
    chrome_princess Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    Also, I will point out that ... like with EVERY restaurant I go to ... fast food or otherwise ... I look up the calorie content of what I will eat before I order it. That helps too.
  • Jessruns
    Options
    If quitting cold turkey doesn't work for you, take smaller steps. If you usually get a burger and fries, switch to the smallest burger and get a salad. Leave yourself enough calories so that it doesn't ruin your day, and let it be a once-a-week treat. Try making healthier versions of things like tacos, burgers, pizza at home, so you can still partake in the foods you love and get some nutritional value from them.

^This.

I found that I was eating Pizza every second day. I finally tried making it at home - thin crust with more veggies and turkey pepperoni - not only is it calorie responsible, but it kills my desire to eat out for Pizza. It's not as greasy or fattening, but it's really good, and after a while of eating better pizzas, the ones from the pizza place just don't appeal to me as much as they used to (i.e. it's not calling my name anymore!!).

Thanks to both of you!
  • leannems
    leannems Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    I think you have to look at why you're addicted. Is it the convenience, or have are you craving the salt/fat/sugar?

If it's a convenience, people have given you lots of ideas - pre-pack your meals, or hit up grocery stores for some more healthy, but still fast options.

If it's the salt/fat/sugar, then changing your eating habits over time will help. Log everything you eat from the fast food joint (and yeah, condiments count). If you're sticking to your calorie and macro goals, you'll soon find it's too hard to eat an entire fast food meal without making some of the better choices (for example, I can't fit a burger and fries into my day if I want to eat, but I can likely fit in a burger and veggies). Soon you'll start to realize that, while the better choices at the fast food restaurant are better than the bad ones, you can make a lot of that stuff at home and have it taste way better (by way of example - side salad at fast food is all iceberg lettuce and carrots - side salad at my house is spinach, sweet peppers, low fat cheese, and almonds). Also, if it's the salt/fat/sugar addiction, make some room in your day for some of that, so long as it fits in your calories/macros. For example, I wanted a burger yesterday. I didn't go get a crap fast food burger, I got it from outback where I could order it cooked the way I wanted, and got a side of veggies.

I think figuring out what you're addicted to will really help. And always, always log. Even if you're having a "cheat" day. Just log it - you'll be surprised to find out that it may change how much you decide to "cheat."
  • Jessruns
    Options
    I think you have to look at why you're addicted. Is it the convenience, or have are you craving the salt/fat/sugar?

If it's a convenience, people have given you lots of ideas - pre-pack your meals, or hit up grocery stores for some more healthy, but still fast options.

If it's the salt/fat/sugar, then changing your eating habits over time will help. Log everything you eat from the fast food joint (and yeah, condiments count). If you're sticking to your calorie and macro goals, you'll soon find it's too hard to eat an entire fast food meal without making some of the better choices (for example, I can't fit a burger and fries into my day if I want to eat, but I can likely fit in a burger and veggies). Soon you'll start to realize that, while the better choices at the fast food restaurant are better than the bad ones, you can make a lot of that stuff at home and have it taste way better (by way of example - side salad at fast food is all iceberg lettuce and carrots - side salad at my house is spinach, sweet peppers, low fat cheese, and almonds). Also, if it's the salt/fat/sugar addiction, make some room in your day for some of that, so long as it fits in your calories/macros. For example, I wanted a burger yesterday. I didn't go get a crap fast food burger, I got it from outback where I could order it cooked the way I wanted, and got a side of veggies.

I think figuring out what you're addicted to will really help. And always, always log. Even if you're having a "cheat" day. Just log it - you'll be surprised to find out that it may change how much you decide to "cheat."

Thanks so much for your comment. It definitely seems to be a taste craving issue over convenience... I enjoy cooking, but keep falling back into this trap. I am sure if I can combine the tough love comments here "just stop it" with the strategies like making a home cooked version of what I'm craving, that I'll get past this and stop craving the really bad stuff. Thanks again!
  • Firefox7275
    Firefox7275 Posts: 2,040 Member
    Options
    Hi all,

I would love to hear from anyone who has had success ending their relationship with fast food. I feel like it's really what is holding me back the most in terms of my progress. I've gone without for a few days or even a week or two, but I always seem to come back. What has helped you the most in ending the addiction?

Thank you!!

Are you really addicted or are you simply getting cravings or in the habit of it? These are not the same thing at all, whilst you continue to label it as an addiction that is a psychological barrier to stopping. If you have a true addiction you would probably benefit from some sort of therapy or medical support.
  • KittieLea
    KittieLea Posts: 1,156 Member
    Options
    try the shake weight
  • yo_andi
    yo_andi Posts: 2,178 Member
    Options
    I learned to cook. And I plan my meals weekly now. Planning ahead lets me make concessions for my crazy schedule and keeps me on track! Besides that, I still have fast food every now and then because let's face it, a life without Wendy's Spicy Chicken Sandwiches is barely worth living...
  • ndblades
    ndblades Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    If quitting cold turkey doesn't work for you, take smaller steps. If you usually get a burger and fries, switch to the smallest burger and get a salad. Leave yourself enough calories so that it doesn't ruin your day, and let it be a once-a-week treat. Try making healthier versions of things like tacos, burgers, pizza at home, so you can still partake in the foods you love and get some nutritional value from them.

That is exactly what I did - and still do - also, cut down on ALL your processed foods -- like the lean cuisine and smart one meals, anything "easy" and prepackaged -- once you do that, you won' t be able to eat the fast food, it will taste too salty -- worked for me.

Better than eating the fast food, is the feeling of walking into a fast food place and ordering oatmeal or a salad, because the simple smell of the grease makes you loose your appetite -- it happened to me, it can happen to you!
  • skinnybitchbarbie27
    skinnybitchbarbie27 Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    I know it sounds like stupid advice but just stop. Studies show it takes 30 days to break a habit and approx 12 weeks to make it consistant. I had my last fast food on August 25,2012. I will remember it wzs a big mac, small fry, iced tea.. I felt so gross after that I said never again and I haven't since. I no longer crave it and the smell maked me sick. I don't miss it.
  • gr8pillock
    gr8pillock Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    I watched Super Size me. That movie broke my habit.
  • zoraiya
    zoraiya Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Simple, dont eat it.

This. I thought I was going to have trouble giving up fast food -- but over a month here on MFP and I still haven't had any. I quit FF like I quit smoking -- cold turkey, and I haven't looked back.

I'm sorry it is tough for you, though -- I hope you find something that works for you! :)
  • EatClean_WashUrNuts
    EatClean_WashUrNuts Posts: 1,590 Member
    Options
    You CHOOSE to not eat it.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    First, recognize that calling it an addiction is a cop-out. Second, recognize that there's nothing wrong with eating fast food every now and then. Third. I just saved you hundreds of dollars in therapy. You can thank me later.
  • blissfulbutt
    Options
    I actually wrote this and posted it on another site just this morning but re-posted it to my blog here....
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/blissfulbutt/view/fast-quick-food-467304
  • Jessruns
    Options
    First, recognize that calling it an addiction is a cop-out. Second, recognize that there's nothing wrong with eating fast food every now and then. Third. I just saved you hundreds of dollars in therapy. You can thank me later.

Hey, I can see that referring to my habit as an addiction is definitely offending a few people which was certainly not my intention. Trying to change the name of my topic.
  • Roxieluv
    Options
    The first thing is looking at what is in the food. Like see pictures and really look at how it is prepped - if you can stomach a lot of it after that then start comparing it nutritionally to other food - like straight compare veggie burgers to a McD's cheese burger - see what is in one and the other and what their value is. Also, give yourself like a month of not eating it - and then when you go back see what your body reacts like...I ate some cinema popcorn recently after not eating any processed food for a month and had a hangover the next day...

Love This! We haven't had a big problem with fast food being that we live on a Native American Reservation, however when we do "indulge" I get sick. I think living in a world where we want everything now and instant gratification, we have gotten lazy with cooking at home. Prepacking meals and snacks to go helps with the kiddo, never to old for a ziplock!!
  • DanTillson
    DanTillson Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I watched Super Size me. That movie broke my habit.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=axxpb7TJ7cQ

Supersize me reply where a guy loses body fat % and lowers cholesterol whilst on a McDonalds only diet, oh and his 46 and has a 6 pack. I enjoyed watching Supersize me but then I checked my facts out...

Why do people jump to blame fast food every time? Show me a study that shows how on a macro/calorie controlled diet it can't fit it. Now I am not suggesting that you just eat it or that it will providing every micro nutrient or that most of the food is macro friendly but why cut out something you enjoy that much?

And here is a fair (not perfect albeit) study showing the affects on the body from occasional 'awful' fast food, specifically a Big Mac meal actually had pretty much fa effect on the body vs a beef/turkey organic meal.

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/research-review/hormonal-responses-to-a-fast-food-meal-compared-with-nutritionally-comparable-meals-of-different-composition-research-review.html
  • alevett
    alevett Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    My family and I limit it to once a week (usually Sat or Sun) as a treat. We used to eat it 2-3 times a week (alternate burgers, pizza, subs, fish (take-out fish), chinese food, etc.) and you eventually get sick of it. I don't want to cut it out all together because it is convenient when we are out during a meal time. Just limit yourself the best you can.
  • sunsnstatheart
    sunsnstatheart Posts: 2,544 Member
    Options

Hey, I can see that referring to my habit as an addiction is definitely offending a few people which was certainly not my intention. Changing the name of my post.

^I like this. If you're really having trouble saying no to fast food then stop trying to say no completely. Work instead on fitting it inside your calorie and macro limitations and move on. I see threads here all the time focusing on this particular food, or this particular macro and blaming it for weight gain. The reality is that most people can lose weight simply based on a calorie deficit. I eat pizza, ice cream, hamburgers and drink beer and yet, miraculously I've lost my weight, am in pretty good shape and am currently on my first real bulk. I don't binge on that stuff though but it does make up a portion of my diet.

Stop beating yourself up and live within the fewest limitations that will get you to your goal!
  • lachesissss
    lachesissss Posts: 1,298 Member
    Options
    Honestly, when I saw the amount of calories in the food I was eating, and I realized how much more food I could eat for the same amount of calories sparked me to change. Also, to wean myself off I researched foods that I could eat within my calorie budget, and only ate those foods when I wanted fast food, and then as I saw how expensive it was, it helped me wean myself off fast food. That being said I still frequent places like Subway, Saladworks and Chipotle, which some people debate if they are healthier or not, but I feel better about eating there as opposed to McDonald's, Taco Bell and Arbys.