Kind of want to eat meat again but not sure how

Options
2»

Replies

• wlkumpf
    wlkumpf Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    You may like salmon or cod if you try it, prepared right it is delicious and healthy.
    I would try frying chicken breast in olive oil, seasoning with an herb type seasoning and then slicking it thinly over top of a salad. Also add to a mix of penne pasta and steamed broccoli with diced tomatoes and either alfredo sauce or butter. Topped with cheese it is light on meat but really yummy.
    Brown hamburger, if lean in olive oil, and make a lasagna or spaghetti, also check for beefy lentil vegetable soup from allrecipes.com, it is really reallly good.
    Brown some chicken or beef, slice really thin and then quick cook with long sliced onion and peppers for a quick saute and serve with spinach and salsa on a tortilla, flavorful and delicious.
  • kirk1115
    kirk1115 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    You don't have to eat meat...it disgusts me as well. Drink protein shakes for protein and if you want it to stay with you longer, pair it with a complex carb. <apple and protein shake or apple and greek yogurt>
  • joyosplash
    Options
    I find eating beans really fills me up. The fiber and protein in them is a great substitute. If meat is gross for you, I would try upping your bean intake.
  • Kersmudgekins
    Kersmudgekins Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    You most likely do not have the stomach enzymes to digest meat any more so you may need a pro-biotic to digest it. Also, start with a baby food do you do not send your system into shock. It may take a while before you are able to digest it properly. If this is what you want good luck.

I have been a Pescatarian for a year and a half now and find that Berries, Plain Greek Yoghurt mixed with Vega One protein Powder is VERY filing.
  • debdelilah
    Options
    Try only eating fish- it's the lowest down on the food chain, so the least "meat-like" meat. I eat fish occasionally, but am otherwise a vegetarian(have been since age 11) and I view other meat as "non-food" - no cravings for it.

I would say the anti-grain stuff we hear lately is another fad...because while its true that having low glycogen stores will make you burn more fat when you exercise, what happens when you eat again after exercise makes up for it - if you fueled your glycogen stores, you'll refill them; if you were low and burned fat, you'll store what you eat after exercise as fat.

http://www.faqs.org/sports-science/Fo-Ha/Glycogen-Depletion.html#b

I don't like fish much except occasionally - I get my protein from Arnold's high protein bread, cheese(ricotta, cottage, cheddar), cliff bars, whey bars when I get a chance, eggs, milk, and special k high protein cereal. I am able to put on strength with this, pretty rapidly actually - I do strength training regularly. And I find that fueling my exercise with carbs makes it easier to exercise more and keep up a good routine, which improves my overall fitness. They make me feel balanced, not gain weight. And I think the anti-soy things I've read, while I don't disregard them, I take with a grain of salt, because generally I feel better, not worse, if I've eaten a protein bar, even if it was soy instead of whey. I'm not into super protein loading but I have to try to get just what any dietitian would recommend, about 50 grams, and that works for me.
  • Catlady87
    Catlady87 Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    I was vegetarian twice when I was younger, so I can sympathise with how you're feeling. However for me by the time I stopped eating meat wasn't abhorrent to me as it seems it is for you. If it truly disgusts you don't do it! What's the point in eating something that you find disgusting - you wouldn't expect someone to do it with vegetables would you?
    Research ways of getting more protein into your diet. Beans are great, lentils and pulses too. Protein drinks or adding something like flaxseed to natural yogurt and berries as a breakfast or a dessert. Things like that will fill you up and be less upsetting for you.
    You don't have to compromise your morals or beliefs on this of you really don't want to.
  • Eskimopie
    Eskimopie Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the suggestions. I'll start with some stir fries, ground meat, and perhaps fish.

When I say meat disgusts me, I know its irrational which is why I want to give it a shot again. I eat eggs and dairy after all. And I don't want to subsist on tofu and protein shakes instead, trying to go more natural (though I'll always eat tofu, its delicious.)

This is a great starting point so thanks again for all the comments.