How do you deal with comments on your loss?

Options

Replies

• syrklc
    syrklc Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    Enjoy the compliment. ;)
  • SafioraLinnea
    SafioraLinnea Posts: 628 Member
    Options
    It depends who it is. Usually I just thank them, but sometimes it feels awkward because of the way they word it.
  • BellaFe
    BellaFe Posts: 323
    Options
    Thank you, usually.
  • Dianemustang
    Options
    As most have said - just acknowledge with a Thank you, yes I have...no need for detail and be proud of it - I went to a retirement party in Dec. - most had not seen me in 3 year and I have lost 65 lbs.....It was wonderful to hear how great I looked and how beautiful my clothes were (by those who were afraid to ask)....thank you was all I needed to say. Enjoy and bask in it
  • sunnyside1213
    sunnyside1213 Posts: 1,205 Member
    Options
    Because I have skinny arms and legs, and a apple body which I covered up very successfully, no one has noticed. :(
  • saraann4
    saraann4 Posts: 1,312 Member
    Options
    My go to response is "thank you, I'm trying". Then you get the people who are like "oh my gosh, you look so great, what are you doing?! " I look at them alittle dumbfounded and say "diet and exercise?"
  • o2bADyer
    o2bADyer Posts: 208
    Options
    Totally up to you...personal preference. I think it depends on how well you know each other and the context of the comment/compliment. Be proud of the hard work you've put into YOU! :flowerforyou:
  • dough21
    dough21 Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    It didn't bother me until someone said - "You look good and don't need to lose anymore." When and what weight I want to stop at is my business. I also thinks it makes one look jealous with a comment like that.
  • saraann4
    saraann4 Posts: 1,312 Member
    Options
    Because I have skinny arms and legs, and a apple body which I covered up very successfully, no one has noticed. :(

They will, give it some time. I just had someone finally noticed I lost weight (after 70lbs). Other people have noticed, but this was her first time. The first time someone commented on my loss was my boss and I had lost 17lbs at the time.
  • bathsheba_c
    bathsheba_c Posts: 1,873 Member
    Options
    Life is too short to take offense at innocent comments from people who are trying to pay you a compliment. Just say, "Thank you."

Of course, the funny thing is that, for every thread complaining that it's awkward when people comment that you've lost weight, there's another one whining about why people haven't noticed yet. :flowerforyou:
  • Carolyn_79
    Carolyn_79 Posts: 935 Member
    Options
    If you think it's awkward now just wait until they start arguing with you because you're getting too skinny :smile:

In all seriousness though, it's not going to stop so I would just say thank you and if it makes you uncomfortable then change the subject.
  • Alidecker
    Alidecker Posts: 1,262 Member
    Options
    I say thank you and quite often end up discussing ways for that person to make healthier choices. I love to encourage people and if my loss helps them want to make changes in their lives, I'm all over that.

I would never take that as an insult and don't find it rude or awkward in the slightest and like someone else said, it helps me keep perspective on days when I'm feeling fat and don't see the difference.

I agree. The comment the makes me the happiest is when someone tells me I inpsired them to get healthy. I would never think someone was being rude for asking or commenting.
  • ladylumps12
    ladylumps12 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Just say thanks I have been there as well I think its just the being big frame of mind, you know u have lost but u still think your bigger and just here someone commenting on you figure.
  • LizardQueen4PointOh
    LizardQueen4PointOh Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    "Yes! Thanks for noticing." *flash a brilliant smile*

That's my plan anyway, for when someone other than my husband (who happens to see me nude on the regular) notices. :laugh:
  • AllTehBeers
    AllTehBeers Posts: 5,030 Member
    Options
    I think drawing attention to someone's weight (even if it's a positive comment) is rude.

I completely disagree. I LOVE it when people notice I've lost weight. It makes me feel good, like my efforts are paying off, like people can actually tell. It gives me a buzz that I keep all day long. I say "Thank you very much!"

I love when people notice too.

I wouldn't even care if they said, "you were a fat fvck before but now you look great!" I'm fat trying to get skinny and that's it.
  • KimLovesDon
    KimLovesDon Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    I generally thank them, and if they keep on about it (oh you look so good now, yadda yadda) I say something like "thanks, I was so over being freakishly hideous! " :)
  • Louiseisme
    Options
    I just say "Thank you, I really have been trying" and smile and walk off unless they have questions. The ones I hate are those I heard today "Can I buy you a sandwich, mac n cheese or pie?":huh: I answered no thanks I am fine, I have all that just not all in one day, give my biggest smile and leave the area.:tongue:
  • dg09
    dg09 Posts: 754
    Options
    If you think it's awkward now just wait until they start arguing with you because you're getting too skinny :smile:

This was by far the most irritating thing for me when it came to people discussing my weight loss.

No one told me "you're getting too fat". :laugh:
  • annielizbeth
    annielizbeth Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    It was nice to have people notice at first. Now it's a little frustrating to have every conversation be about the weight I've lost (60 lbs so far). Even MORE frustrating is people who say "ohhh you are starting to lose too much now" or "ohhh wow you are getting too small now". It's like they were happy for me at first but now they are jealous or something. I'm definitely not losing too much or getting too small. I'm still 30 lbs above my healthy weight!
  • Qskim
    Qskim Posts: 1,145 Member
    Options
    Love the hands on hips and spin...good one! The strangest thing...a woman who hadn't seen me for a while (after baby no 4 and at my biggest) disagreed with me on how much I'd lost...I'd lost 32kg (64lbs approx) when she saw me again and she felt it was "only" about 16kg..okkaaay but WTH lol? I was just amused..strange tho.