Help-New to running

Options
2»

Replies

• SayLiLIG
    SayLiLIG Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    Well I'm the idiot... I thought you were supposed to go heel to toe.

Thankfully I havent gotten any shin splints.. I bought a pair of new balance shoes that really helped my stride, and since I've bought them my shins haven't hurt.

*Takes note...."focus on not landing on your heel tonight"*
  • sunsnstatheart
    sunsnstatheart Posts: 2,544 Member
    Options
    I agree with a lot of the above but focus on playing around with your form and shoes and see what works for you. I run barefoot the vast majority of the time and when I'm not barefoot I'm in 5 Fingers (therefore I run on my forefoot). I also try to be barefoot as much as possible but I have a personal hatred of shoes.

Here's the thing though: I know plenty of avid runners who heal strike and wear normal running shoes. A lot is going to depend on you, your anatomy and what you like.

I will say that I was one of those people who always had shin splints from running until I switched to the minimalist approach. My calves and ankles killed me for a while until everything strengthened up though.

Good luck!
  • amili045
    Options
    Good idea but definitely check out the site :) Often when something is uncomfortable or if we arent wearing the right type of footwear, in any physical activity, we compensate and the wrong muscles take a beating. Good for you for get started. take it slow and try not to fall to heavily with each stride because you want to save your knees.

Cheers !

*the sites for form offered by others above lol
  • dsjohndrow
    dsjohndrow Posts: 1,820 Member
    Options
    If you are going to0 run, get good running shoes fitted by a running store!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

- Take is easy
    - Do some leg strength like lunges, squats etc.
    - Do something like C25K to build up.
    - Take rest days.

If you do that, you'll have fun. If not, I can tell you about surgery.
  • aswearingen22
    aswearingen22 Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    1. make sure you are wearing new running shoes that you were fitting for at your local running store (not ****'s). They need to be replaced every 300 - 500 miles (depends on weight of runner, the specific shoe, etc). Don't wear them for anything but your runs.

2. Ice them many times a day. The more the better, the sooner the better, it will help heal them faster.

3. Take ibuprofen every 4-6 hours for a few days to reduce inflammation.

2. Get a foam roller or use one at your gym. Roll out your shins to break up the connective tissue that is all globbed together (totally the technical term!lol). Just google foam roller and shin splints and you'll get lots of ideas and even youtube videos to help. I roll out several times a week, daily if I'm being diligent.
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    Well I'm the idiot... I thought you were supposed to go heel to toe.

I think heel to toe is for more efficient walking.
  • sonhando
    sonhando Posts: 69 Member
    Options
  • lindsyrox
    lindsyrox Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    Yup we have heels in order to stand upright, heels have no place in efficient running, otherwise dogs horses cheetahs etc would likely also run heel to toe, right?

"Cats and dogs trot around on their toes, as do many other mammals. So why do humans and other great apes walk flat-footed? It is surprisingly energy efficient, a new study suggests.

It takes 53 percent more energy for humans to walk on the balls of their feet, and 83 percent more energy to toe-walk.

However, the energy savings don’t apply to running. There's no difference, energy-wise, between landing on our heels and landing on the balls of our feet when we run, the scientists say."
    http://www.livescience.com/6115-humans-walk-flat-footed.html
  • petersonabt
    petersonabt Posts: 518 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much...I think this weekend I will have to go talk to some shoe stores this weekend. cause they are really hurting and its the bone not the calf muscles. I really love running, but ouchy lol. its hurt to walk all day. should have asked for advice before I just took off blind. lol.

thank you all again! :)
  • jen_fitnhappy
    jen_fitnhappy Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    Poor form, if you run and land on your heel first you're sending all the pressure/stress straight up your shin which can lead to stress fractures, try slowing it down, leaning forward and landing mid/fore foot, it will force you to absorb the impact with your soft tissues (tendons muscles etc) not your bones and joints. Minimalist shoes force you into this style of running whereas shoes w/ huge soft soles allow you to heal strike without any initial pain. Shin splints SUCK, they take forever to heal and can lead to real long lasting damage, take a few days off to heal and then focus on your form.

oh and be warned, running mid/fore foot will force your calves to work a lot harder than they're accustom but muslces will heal and get stronger, bones will fracture.

lol!... so THIS is why my calves hurt now! I just started running outside and my shins were killing me. After reading this advice elsewhere, I focused on landing on midfoot/toes and the shin pain is easing up. Running mid/fore foot is also making the running easier, I feel like its propelling me forward. Even though I spent years running/walking on the treadmill, since I switched to running outside I'm feeling muscles in my legs I've never felt before!