some questions about the mind....

Options
So I have lost almost 65 lbs I am currently 172 lbs and 5'7" in theory this isn't huge.. or so I am told... but i still feel I look totally and utterly discusting! I don't know if I really do look that way or if it's just my mind can't catch up with the weight.

I will add I have lost that weight in 6 months... so I do have a lot of lose skin and I am not really toned.. so not sure if that is not helping my matters :? I still have about 25lbs more to lose, but just wondering if after all this hard work will I ever feel satisfied with how I look??

Anyone experiencing anything similar? Thanks for any insight :/

Replies

• xsmilexforxmex
    xsmilexforxmex Posts: 1,216 Member
    Options
    I think we are our own worst critics. Overall I feel just as bad about myself now at 160lbs as I did when I was only 135lbs, which is my current goal. Maybe look at some before and after pics to put in perspective where you've come from... but I think some people will always have body issues bc we focus on the negatives insead of the good aspects..
  • MandiK3
    MandiK3 Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    bump pls
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    Give your brain a little time to adjust to the new you. You are not disgusting.
  • LaurySch
    LaurySch Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    I weigh pretty close to what you are at, but I've only lost about half the weight you have (congrats, that is amazing BTW!) and I know there are parts of my body I will never be happy about. But I try to keep looking at myself in a more positive, encouraging light and focus on some of the things I really like about myself. It's hard, but I think the journey is just as much about learning to exercise and eat better as it is about learning to accept myself at every stage.
  • mz_asher
    mz_asher Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    I think the emotion behind it will take longer then the physical part. Its a stuggle to overcome the "fat girl" status.
  • AuntieMC
    AuntieMC Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    You are God's masterpiece! You are gorgeous just the way you are! Our society is obsessed with looking a certain way or being a certain size. As long as you buy into that, you will probably be disappointed. Change your mind and change your self-talk! Accept yourself, love yourself, find the beauty in yourself! Eat right and exercise for the HEALTH aspects. You are already beautiful!
  • MandiK3
    MandiK3 Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    So I have lost almost 65 lbs I am currently 172 lbs and 5'7" in theory this isn't huge.. or so I am told... but i still feel I look totally and utterly discusting! I don't know if I really do look that way or if it's just my mind can't catch up with the weight.

I will add I have lost that weight in 6 months... so I do have a lot of lose skin and I am not really toned.. so not sure if that is not helping my matters :? I still have about 25lbs more to lose, but just wondering if after all this hard work will I ever feel satisfied with how I look??

Anyone experiencing anything similar? Thanks for any insight :/

Well I lost 138lbs, when I look in the mirror, I feel i look the same. I mean i do see a slight difference in my face, but that's about it. When I look at pictures, I do see the difference, so it's important to take pictures. Even in pictures it can be misleading. I look in the mirror and i look good, when i take a picture i look like crap. A friend said the same thing the other day. What I do is i have a goal weight shirt, something that's tight. I work on my weight loss and take a picture of me in that shirt every month, You will see it gets loser and loser.

pretty much how i feel the clothes do ger less tight and in clothes I don't feel so bad and such just when stuff isn't tucked into clothes to hide.... i still feel huge..
  • ladywendolyn
    ladywendolyn Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Hmmm... I have the opposite problem... No matter what I weigh, I think I look great.... Until I see pictures and then go... Oh! my! Lol

Ask yourself an important couple of questions...
    1) when I go to the mirror, what are the messages that I bring with me that speak to my identity, value and worth?
    Where did they come from?
    2. Who do I give the right to , to determine my identity, value and worth? Why?
    3. Who should I give the right to, to speak to my identity, value and worth?

Doing this kind of work to change the inside, is as important as the outside journey.
  • volume77
    volume77 Posts: 670 Member
    Options
    No matter what weigh you are youwill always experience this voice.it is called the committee and it can be combatted a few different ways.
    1 Prayer and meditation.
    2. Positive affirmations
    3. Therapy
    4. Journaling
    Other things I cannot think of right now but i completely understand what you're talking about.