Constructive criticism, please! Sheesh!

Options

Replies

• shaunap3
    shaunap3 Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    Thank you very much. And good luck with your weight loss endeavors!
    Hi first off most of what you are eating is healthy and nutritious.It will sustain your energy needs as you become healthier. Your breakfasts are very good which is incredibly important as it sets you up for the rest of the day.

You are going to get blunt people here, but they are simply giving you the same information in a more direct manner. I say take it and use it as fuel for your desire in the gym or your favoured exercise.

I also put my diary in the spotlight a few weeks ago and believe me you got off super light. I had multiple days where my lunch was 3 packets of crisps or over 300 calories worth of chocolat. Yeah that didn't go down well. People gave it to me straight and you know what,I'm gratetfull for it. Now I'm eating so much better and I took their advice about what to change and include.

Just take every bit of advice as it comes and use it.Not everyone will be cherry nice with their comments so take it on the chin and blast that weight.

Have a great day and take care
  • BarackMeLikeAHurricane
    BarackMeLikeAHurricane Posts: 3,400 Member
    Options
    Calm down. You're over reacting. I saw on your profile you mentioned something about a past eating disorder. This would be my best guess as to why you're so overly sensitive about people judging your food choices. In your last thread you seemed to be attacking people for no reason that were just trying to help you. If you can't handle the people here, stay out of the forums.
  • starspeckled
    starspeckled Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    If I knew this website was going to be so stressful I wouldn't have posted.
    Making a post about a post brcause you didn't like tHe response is lame. There's a message in it, a lesson to be learned, did you learn it???

Improvements can be made. Just because your nutritionist for $200 didn't break it to you gently doesn't make it less true. Take it on board.

You asked a question. Now handle the answer.

Harden up.

^^^This
  • robin52077
    robin52077 Posts: 4,383 Member
    Options
    There was nothing rude in the other thread.
    You need to go back and read what I wrote and what 2 people have already quoted and agreed with.

Do it, follow it, come back in 2 months and tell me how happy you are I was "rude".

And pick up heavy things.
  • rfsatar
    rfsatar Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    I don't need nice-nice, and I don't need rude either. This entire website is everyone attacking everyone in this forum. Not just mine, but many others I've seen. Not really sure why people can't be a LITTLE nicer when delivering information.

I think that comes from a number of things.
    A glut of "attention" seeking threads where people either boast about eating below 1200, hence much flaming, or... statements that they are not losing, and with diary open, sometimes results in flaming.

None of this is an exact science, but there is a lot you can do to make it more so.
    A little research into things like your Total Daily Energy Expenditure (TDEE) & Basal Metabolic Rate (BMR) will help you understand broadly what you should eat each day, and what you can eat at a deficit to help with losing weight,
    Logging as accurately as you can is half the battle

I have someone on my friend list cheering me on/nagging me about my water intake, for example.
    What they don't realise is that before I came on here, I was terrible, TERRIBLE about drinking water - so managing 4-5 cups a day is a HUGE thing for me - so do I get irritated when they are all "hey drink more"? No - they are trying to encourage as best they can based on what little they know about me.

Perhaps maybe only have your diary open to people you choose to friend, and ask for opinions among a smaller group.

But above all - this takes LOTS of tweaking and adjusting... it's not a sprint...
    It took me two weeks before I even really got to grips with the whole logging, and getting over the horror of what I was putting away.
    It took a good month to learn what worked for me - some weeks I gained, some weeks static...
    It took me 4 months before I was even ready to get my head around the effects of BMR, TDEE and deficits and how that might work for me...

Please.. be patient, and find a way to make the site work for you. As blunt as people are in the forums, that is the nature of the internetz... I find them a great source (sometimes) for information, I do my own research, and I tweak my own goals and above all - you need to be on here for YOU, not for the virtual support you think you're gonna get!
    Build up a small but decent bunch of similar goaled friends and work within those parameters... that may well work better for you.

Good luck with your journey.
  • bubbanene
    bubbanene Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    amen
  • LovelyLifter
    LovelyLifter Posts: 560 Member
    Options
    Well frankly the truth hurts and if you post being upset about not losing weight then you need to expect any and all forms of criticism. If you choose to put yourself out there then these are the chances you take. I went back and read that thread and like with others I fail to see the rudeness in it.

Best of luck and listen to Robin she knows what shes talking about :flowerforyou:
  • akhilton
    Options
    I don't think the other thread was rude, in fact there were some good points made.

I had no idea that sodium caused water retention to those sort of levels.

And as for crappy alcohol... surely you knew already that alcopops are bad? The best low cal drink I have found is Vodka, Line & Soda(water). But for Jan I am staying off the booze anyway.
  • bdtyson77302
    bdtyson77302 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    agreed..
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    suck it up buttercup.
  • chocl8girl
    chocl8girl Posts: 1,968 Member
    Options
    Seriously? This is the internet. People come from every country, culture, and language. This is a public forum. Inflection and body language cannot be transmitted digitally. Every person has a unique approach to communication, and not all of them translate well into a typing-only medium. Take a step back and breathe.

How you respond to such communication methods without the accompanied physical cues is your own responsibility, and a skill that has to be cultivated when you deal with people online. People on the whole actually DO care about others, and mostly want to help, and that is why they say the things they do when YOU ask for help on a public forum. Being blunt is NOT the same as being rude. Being honest is NOT the same thing as being rude.

Telling you only what you want to hear in only the way you want to hear it is what's rude, in my opinion, as well as disingenuous, and frankly the people that want to sugarcoat and bubble wrap and rose-colored-sunglass life are the ones who don't truly care about the welfare of others.

Some are blunt and honest in their approach, some take a softer, gentler approach. Appreciate and be thankful for any and all responses that you asked for, because they took the time and genuine care to answer you, whether they told you what you want to hear in the way that you wanted to hear it or not.

And maybe you need to take a good hard look at why you are needing to play the victim here. Maybe, just MAYBE, it's because you already know what you need to change, but would rather get a pat on the head and a cookie for knowing that rather than a kick in the pants. And that's OK, but if you prefer the pat on the head, and that works better for you, maybe you should think twice before posing a question on a public forum where all kinds of people who want the best for you, however they may express it, will answer you.
  • ashleen7
    ashleen7 Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    suck it up buttercup.

^^ this. But remember to log the cals!:flowerforyou:
  • pyrowill
    pyrowill Posts: 1,163 Member
    Options
    I would ask when you QUOTE in the forum would you mind writing your response underneath rather than on top? Maybe it's just me but it seems thats how most people do it and I think it's a bit easier to show your response beneath?*

*Not criticising
  • determinedbutlazy
    determinedbutlazy Posts: 1,941 Member
    Options
    "Bawwww, the FREE advice I'm getting from people who know more than me (who have given the same FREE advice on this FREE website a hundred times before FOR FREE) wasn't wrapped in a pretty pink bow and people told me I didn't do perfect, bawwwww."

If people seemed direct/rude it's because every single day there are tens of posts all saying the same thing...

"I'm doing everything PERFECTLY, but it's not working... WHAT'S WRONG WITH MEEEEE"

And then they get butthurt when they're told that actually, no, they didn't do everything perfectly.

TLDR; This is the internet. People will talk to you however they like. They are offering you free advice. Man up or go pay some nutritionist to sugarcoat it for you.
  • KatherineStar
    KatherineStar Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    "Bawwww, the FREE advice I'm getting from people who know more than me (who have given the same FREE advice on this FREE website a hundred times before FOR FREE) wasn't wrapped in a pretty pink bow and people told me I didn't do perfect, bawwwww."

If people seemed direct/rude it's because every single day there are tens of posts all saying the same thing...

"I'm doing everything PERFECTLY, but it's not working... WHAT'S WRONG WITH MEEEEE"

And then they get butthurt when they're told that actually, no, they didn't do everything perfectly.

TLDR; This is the internet. People will talk to you however they like. They are offering you free advice. Man up or go pay some nutritionist to sugarcoat it for you.

Saved me writing this. Think you're being a little defensive....
  • Bobby__Clerici
    Bobby__Clerici Posts: 741 Member
    Options
    There was nothing rude in the other thread.
    You need to go back and read what I wrote and what 2 people have already quoted and agreed with.
    Do it, follow it, come back in 2 months and tell me how happy you are I was "rude".
    I see MFP as a tool. And part of the tool is accountability that arrives in many forms.
    The best help often comes fast and frank.
    Just set your feelings on the shelf, and use what is constructive.
    :flowerforyou:
  • beyoutifulanna
    beyoutifulanna Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I have not been on this website very long, but after the few posts I recently made and the very frank and hurtful ways people responded I am disgusted. I thought this was a website to encourage one another. If someone is misinformed, inform them. In a nice way. Give them a pat on the back and another try.

I was in fact NOT spot on with my eating. What I was spot on with was logging everything I consumed and holding myself accountable, because it was there, black and white, out in the open, for the entire website to read and shove in my face. I can honestly say I had no idea how much sugar and sodium I was actually consuming, so thank you for letting me know what YOU saw. It was helpful. Cutting out sugar is hard, cutting out sodium is even harder, as some of you will know.

For those of you that said "hey, you gave a good try, but I would do this differently" I greatly appreciate your ideas, suggestions, support and kind words.

For those of you that gave me a snotty "excuse me honey but your diet sucks" response, go shove it! With that attitude you may lose weight, but your personality will always make you ugly.

We're not perfect, and we're all here for similar reasons, just remember that.

I totally understand where you're coming from. I have come to realize, some people just dont know any better. Especially over the internet, people can really be tough and mean typing on the keyboard but in person, most of those people wouldnt have the same input. If anyone should come down hard on us for mistakes we make regarding eating and exercise habits it should be family or a doctor. Who needs to be beat up on when we are already so hard on ourselves for what we stuggle with day to day? So I totally understand how your feelings would be hurt.
  • newdaydawning79
    newdaydawning79 Posts: 1,503 Member
    Options
    You've found out what you need to change, and that's awesome! Keep going from there, and just let the other stuff roll off. I know it's not that easy, I'm SUPER-sensitive about things and sometimes things upset me that likely shouldn't. I haven't read the last thread so I don't know what was said but I am sorry it upset you...but I'm glad that you know where to go from here to kickstart your weight loss.

Some people are just rude to be rude, some really aren't meaning to come across that way but words on the screen sometimes aren't interpreted correctly...some are just blunt and believe in tough love. Don't let it get to you. At the end of the day, this is YOUR lifestyle change. We're here to help you get there.

Feel free to add me if you'd like! :)
  • kalibsmom
    kalibsmom Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I agree that constructive critisism is needed, the problem comes from people being rude while giving it. Noone has that right!! I have been reading some posts on here lately that I was thinking to myself, "What are wrong with these people? Were they not taught to use their manners??" As a mother I raise my children that they can speak their mind in all situations, they just have to do it with respect!! If you can't have respect for the original poster and give advise without being rude then DO NOT RESPOND!!! Negativity could cause someone to decide they don't want to continue working through this site! People should really think before they say stuff, everything you do and say has consequences. I am not saying that it needs to be sugar coated, but it can be said in a way that shows respect and isn't rude!! By the way awesome job at keeping track of your food, that is half the battle :)
  • queenhiphop
    queenhiphop Posts: 286 Member
    Options
    what you think is rude/blunt isn't always other people's idea of rude/blunt

there are 7 billion people in this world and we all have different opinions