Coffee????

Options
So I tried to give up coffee because I did not want to "waste" calories on creams and sugars when I could be putting those calories towards good wholesome healthy FILLING foods.

It did not work out to well..... I was lothesome and tired and really missed my morning cup o' Joe!

So yesterday I gave in and decided I am going to start drinking my coffee black!

I made my coffee and filled my 16 oz mug and off to work I went...
1st sip................. HOLY *kitten* HOT!
2nd sip................OMG!! Bitter and gross
3rd sip..................TERRIBLE!
4th sip....................wheres the cream and sugar?
5th sip.........................I cant do this
6th sip.........................I can manage
25th sip........................not so bad but not the best
last sip...........................I could do this again

This morning I made my cup of Joe and am currently sipping away. I still am not enjoying the taste, but I think I can become accustomed to it over time. maybe even enjoy it.

Has anyone else "gone black" in regards to their coffee for health reasons? And if so how long did it take you to "adjust'?

Have a good morning!

Replies

• pavingnewpaths
    pavingnewpaths Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    Yes! I used to add three teaspoons of sugar and about 1/8 cup creamer. Ridiculous, but it was the only way I drank coffee (and I'm literally a walking zombie without my coffee)
    Back when join MFP in May I decided to give up the sugar and creamer for the same reason and it was absolutely dreadful. But I think after two weeks or so I got really accustomed to coffee (I drink it with three teaspoons coffee mate now, can't drink it black!)

And actually I've reached a point where I think coffee with sugar tastes god-awful. You can get used to eating/drinking pretty much anything to be honest. It's a habit you fall into without even realizing it.
  • Minnoke
    Minnoke Posts: 26
    Options
    I love coffee and used to always have it with tons of milk but then I switched to black a few years ago and much prefer it that way (although I still always get capuccinos/lattes/mochas when I'm in a cafe). What exactly is creamer?
  • jessdunham31
    Options
    I ditched the cream and sugar and now drink my coffee black, but...I do make flavored coffee now...like French Vanilla, Southern Pecan Cream...just no cream and sugar...surprisingly none of the flavored coffees dranken black don't have a huge number of calories. Good luck!
  • WAHMto5
    WAHMto5 Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    I have tried and just can't do it. I have cut down and use ff creamer/Splenda but that is as far as I can go;)
  • sealea4
    sealea4 Posts: 16
    Options
    I just gave up my cream and sugar for the same reason as you, I started adding a half TSP of cinnamon to my coffee, It tricks my mind into thinking Ive added yummy stuff to it..hehe
    And the best part is....it tatses wonderful!
  • PixelTreason
    PixelTreason Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    I drink mine black now, too but I still throw some stevia in.
  • lauren3101
    lauren3101 Posts: 1,853 Member
    Options
    I ditched the cream and sugar and now drink my coffee black, but...I do make flavored coffee now...like French Vanilla, Southern Pecan Cream...just no cream and sugar...surprisingly none of the flavored coffees dranken black don't have a huge number of calories. Good luck!

Oooo they sound good where do you get them from? Can you get them in the UK?
  • Weebs628
    Weebs628 Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    I don't think I could ever give up my cream and sugar....
  • andreamarieroberts
    andreamarieroberts Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I gave up creamer (I used coffemate and powdered creamer - lots of trans fats!) and SPLENDA in my coffee a couple of weeks ago. I am now using a couple of packets of stevia and NO creamer. The stevia works well! I have had no problems adjusting. I do miss the creaminess of the coffee after putting a ton of creamer in it, but I WILL NOT miss the empty calories and trans fats.
    Good luck!
  • Railr0aderTony
    Railr0aderTony Posts: 6,804 Member
    Options
    YES, exactly, for the same reasons, I used to use the french vanilla flavored creamer, switched to sugar free liquid, still too high so i switched to the sugar free syrup with powder creamer, then finally just started drinking it black with splenda, that is where i am now. saves me a bunch of calories because I LOVE COFFEE and drink lots and lots of it.
  • RVfrog
    RVfrog Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    I've always drink my coffee black....you will get use to it. Make it a good cup. I have a single cup coffee maker and love the nice cup of coffee when I want.
  • charmarbobar
    charmarbobar Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    I switched from cream to almond milk (sometimes vanilla almond milk). Not exactly the same, but much easier transition than straight to black.
  • Lyssa62
    Lyssa62 Posts: 930 Member
    Options
    YAY for black coffee...it's the only way to drink it. If you add stuff to it..it's no longer considered coffee to me..you might as well call it a latte or something else.

I like my coffee like I like my liquor -- straight up!
  • Grandmasboy2852
    Options
    Yeah, I used to filler up on cream and sweet n low. Usually put way too much cream in but mainly so I could cool it down and drink it faster... When I started nit picking at my diet I went to black, and would just add some cold water or ice to satisfy my need to be able to chug it lol
  • sanndandi
    sanndandi Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    I'm really more of a tea drinker (with sugar and half and half) but for similar reasons as others I switched to coffee and decided to drink it black. Had to add some sweetner because it really was a shock how bitter and blech it was at first. Now I add 2 packets of Truvia and I love it. I prefer it without creamer/half and half. You can really appreciate the taste it's supposed to have.
  • Louder4
    Louder4 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I tried years ago to ditch my beloved creamer and just couldn't do it!. Now I am trying to use half of my normal amount and buy the sugar free ones, not actually good for you, but only 15 calories per tbls.
  • lynn_hickey
    lynn_hickey Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I switched to black coffee last spring, and it took about a week to get used to it. I love it now!! And I have felt much better too, it just tastes more pure and delicious! And when I initially switched, I lost a couple pounds right off the bat too!
  • LCSoulkat
    LCSoulkat Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    I used to have coffee with lots of milk but when I decided to take on this journey, I went straight to black, overnight...first cup was..uhmm...different but persevered and been straight black ever since...Once in a while, I may add a little Baileys in it when I feel I need little reward..lol otherwise, got used to black only. :)
  • FitBeto
    FitBeto Posts: 2,121 Member
    Options
    I like my women like I like my coffee.
  • udallmom101
    udallmom101 Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    I would rather have my coffee the way I like it - one packet of Truvia and 1 Tbsp of Almond Joy creamer. I don't mind the 80 calories and 2 grams of carbs. I exercise enough that it doesn't matter to me. I say if you like coffee, go for it. I did cut back from 4 cups a day to only 2 though.